“Fantastic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Marco Polo Plaza Cebu

You added Marco Polo Plaza Cebu to your Saves list
Marco Polo Plaza Cebu
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cebu Veterans Drive | Nivel Hills, Lahug, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 80 Hotels in Cebu City
Sydney, Australia
“Fantastic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2009

The best hotel I have used in Cebu. The roof top grill in fantastic with nice views of the City. Great night time entertainment both by the pool and inside. Good value for money. Good dinning options and a very nice well presented swimming pool.
The only slight negative is the distance from the downtown area makes getting a taxi a little hard at times. You can often expect a 10-15 minute wait. The hotel does however offer a free shuttle service to the malls although I did not use this service.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
US/Phil.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2009

Do yourself a favor, do not check in here...My husband and I reserved for a room 3 weeks in advance. Upon check -in, our room was not yet available. We were told by a staff to bring our bags at the concierge. They won't take them at the concirge becauew we were not checked in yet. Our luggages were all the while placed just in front of it. Seen by all people passing by and visible from the rstaurant lobby were we were asked to wait while our room is made available. We were made to wait 2 long hours without even saying a word of update from time to time! They knew all the while that we were at the restaurant lobby. We finished our lunch already and the room isn't available yet. We were the ones who would occasionally approach them and ask if the room is already preapared. The staff at the front desk only told us to wait. Nothing else, as if we have not been waiting for 2 hours yet!
When the room was ready, we were just given the ke to our room. No guide whatsoever and nobody to help us wheel in our luggages. I had to ask them to do it! (Now we just came directly from Shangrila Mactan for a 3 day stay and it was awful to experience the opposite way we were treated in Shangrila. I only wished we had stayed there for the whole week instead.)
Room - ordinary, small. Ours was facing the Nivel hills, which was not nice to look at at all, unless you want to reflect on how blessed you are that you could afford a 5 star hotel while the poor people stay in their shabby houses.
Restaurant service. (Marco Polo) - Has the most ill-mannered staff I have ever encountered. When you enter, sometimes, there would be somebody to greet you, sometimes not. Those who greet looked reluctant or shy. Nobody offered us coffee, nor even told us just where to find it. The waiters keep pasiing by, without doing anything but get used plates from the table. My husband finally, stood up, and made his own coffe right from their nook and nobody stil assisted him. One time, there was only the manager , the only one who was sensitive and polite enough to ask us for what we need. He served us coffee. Except for this employee, nothing else at Marco Polo is good. Worse is their serving crew whi was stationed at the noodles section. He saw a number of us waiting to have our congees and noodles, also three of the wiaters who were at the floor. All 4 of them saw us, and pretended that they did not see anybody instead of assisting us. It seeemed to me that none of them wanted to volunteer to cover up for their co-worker's area of responsibility in his absence or in his busy-ness. WORST was this: I was eating and my husband stood up to get some fruits.A few minutes, from behind me, a staff walked pass me hurriedly and took, just took away my husband's plate without even a word or so. HOW RUDE!!!! Was he not supposed to acknowledge my presence, that I am still eating, and that he should at least make a gesture that he's going to take it from the table with my permission? OMG! I have been to lots of 1 star to 5 star hotels, throughout the nation and some other countries but I have never seen a service as poor as this.
A few good things I noticed: the manager of the restaurant who was sensitive to our needs, their chef who makes their pastries which are good, and the one who answers and taked orders for their room service. Aside from that, nothing else.
Their pool is in front of the restaurant lobby, I didn't try it, I think it is a bit small. The lady that served us our order on our first day while we were waiting to check was also unimpressive. She did not try to hide from us that is was bored waiting for us to pick our order.
WI-FI CONNECTION - we got this all for free in Shangrila and yet we have to pay so much for this in Marco Poloteh hotel which annoyed us with their poor service. OMG! i will never come back!
I hate this hotel. It was a waste of money. Imagine spending your money expecting to receive an excellent service and being treated this way?

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Clean, well organised with great views of the city - although the price you pay for this is the hotel is a little out of town

Excellent buffet breakfast with a huge choice.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

This hotel is definitely up there with some of the best I have stayed at.
The service is excellent especialy in the dining areas and the staff are immaculately groomed and presented.
The food at the buffets for breakfast,lunch and dinner is not cheap but the standard is very high so the money paid is worth it.
The pool area is very appealing with submerged deck chairs and two small warmer lap pools beside the larger pool.
Reception staff were well trained and all my room billing which was quite extensive was correct with no "miscellaneous" charges which is often the case at large hotels.
The hotel is a bit out of town but the hotel has a free shuttle running into town ever hour and also outside the main gate are jeepneys running to everywhere so location is not a big deal really.
Probably the only slight blemish in my opinion was the mountian view room which was very nice and more than adequate but probably not quite up to the standard of the rest of the hotel but this is being quite fussy I think.
By the way mountain view is actually mountain view/shanty view!!!!!.
Thank you Marco Polo for a great experience.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

May/June was my third stay at the Marco Polo Plaza in Cebu City. Again, I was not disappointed. This is indeed an excellent hotel. Staff are professional, friendly and courteous; the grounds are beautifully landscaped and the facilities always impreccably clean and well maintained.

Although it's not hard to tell that the hotel was run previously under a different name (hotel architecture gives this away), the rooms have been modernised (new LCD TVs with lots of cable & local channels) and are always spotlessly clean each day. The airconditioning is powerful, which helps in the sticky Cebu climate, but you can adjust it to your comfort.

Breakfast offers a large selection of foods - Filipino, Korean & Western tastes are all extensively catered for. The poolside cafe is great for a beer or a snack and their chicken focaccia sandwich is unbeatable. The pool is huge, and features a waterfall, submerged deckchairs (for enjoying sun in the pool) and a separate children's area. The rooftop bar & restaurant, Blu, offers great night time views of Cebu City as well.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. I've found independent Filipino hotels to be, for the price charged, very substandard and unprofessional. The Marco Polo Plaza is an excellent hotel, and offers decent value for money, though I would encourage travellers to check other sites, as the Marco Polo website, while claiming to offer the best rates, is not always the cheapest.

Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

Second time staying at Marco Polo.

They have early check-in & late check out supplementary charges which were quite helpful (especially with a 6am arrival). Check-in was friendly and efficient.

Room was adequately appointed, though I thought the towels needed to be changed.

Buffets are still the top drawer of the hotel. Need we say more?
Had drinks at openair rooftop Blu, which had a fantastic view.

staff are friendly and accomodating.

Siena, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

this hotel was just amazing and exceeding all our expectations. we stayed here in may 2009 for a weekend get away and it proved to be an excellent choice: staff was very helpful, location was perfect, rooms were nice and spacious and the view of the whole town was a real plus. We also organized a couple of day tours to the waterfalls and diving sites through the hotel at the last minute and everything worked out perfectly. one thing that we really appreciated the most was the flexibility of the hotel staff. we really felt that they were going out of their way to make our star nice and comfortable. if you are lucky to go there, do try the bar on the top floor and the swimming pool! =)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cebu City
#6 of 80 in Cebu City
4.0 of 5 stars 271 reviews
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
Crimson Resort and Spa, Mactan

Been to Marco Polo Plaza Cebu? Share your experiences!