“Quality hotel and a great experience.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marco Polo Plaza

You added Marco Polo Plaza to your Saves list
Marco Polo Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cebu Veterans Drive | Nivel Hills, Lahug, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 76 Hotels in Cebu City
Preston, United Kingdom
“Quality hotel and a great experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I last stayed at Marco Polo hotel some three years ago, and was pleasantly surprised to return recently. A highly enjoyable visit, which surpassed my recollections. I was in a refurbished room on a higher floor which was excellent.

Although quite an elderly building, it remains well presented, with a pleasing ambience. It has an imposing entrance hall, and during my visit prior to Christmas it was beautifully decorated, with a lovely Tree, and a number of staff in Christmas outfits, all of which added greatly to the ambiance.

I particularly enjoyed lunch at the pool bar, a proper bar with a lovely outlook across the pool area which is on several levels. Although I didn't try it, the gym looked modern and well equipped for a great workout.

The one issue for me with the Marco Polo hotel is it's location; it is a little out of town and therefore further away from the air and ferry ports, and major Malls. Traffic can extend travel at busy times. However some might see its location as a bonus, as it is away from the noise of the city, and has great views across the city and the hills from it's elevated position. It also runs a free shuttle to the two major malls. I understand the Blue Bar on the very top floor of the hotel is well worth a visit; alas I was unable to visit as my overnight was on a Monday when Blue Bar is closed. It's more than a bar, as food is served.

The staff were helpful, competent and confident, all indicators to me of being well trained; well done, as the quality and competence of staff can make or break a visit.

For me a great but far too short lived stay. I will be back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Dear Richard187062,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

How wonderful it is to read an extensive review about your experience while staying at our hotel property! Thank you for taking time to write it; a fine piece of reference to those seeking for high quality accommodation in Cebu City. Indeed, returning guests like you become delighted with our newly renovated rooms. We are more excited for its full completion soon.

Most of all, let us thank you for appreciating our brand of customer service we call the Marco Polo Way. It is our aim to deliver the best of our services, products and facilities so you can gain a memorable and great hospitality experience.

We look forward to see you and your friends back here at the Marco Polo Plaza Cebu and hopefully on a longer stay!

Hans Hauri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Korean first
Stowe, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I think I paid about 60 USD for a standard room and the same quality just about anywhere would be 90 to 200 so I was very pleased. The pool was one of the highlights for me as it was clean and allowed sunning and relaxing and not too many loud patrons around.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Dear andy M,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for writing a quick review about your stay with us and for specifically appreciating the price value of our accommodation. Price value is indeed an important consideration in choosing a hotel to stay.

Cheers to your favorite amenity, our mango-shaped swimming pool, perfect on a day of relaxation!

We hope to see you again at our hotel and enjoy the rest of Cebu island!

Muntinlupa, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Marco Polo Plaza Hotel for two nights. We booked via Agoda and I could probably say that we booked it the most reasonable price. The room is very much spacious that has one queen and one double bed. The view from our room though is not so nice as the hotel is surrounded by residential area. I would definitely love to stay again here if there would be a chance for me to go back in Cebu. The staff are very friendly and accommodating with our needs. You must also try Lobby Lounge's carrot cake, it was so delicious. A kind of dessert we really want, as it is very moist and not too sweet. We just don't like it being combined with the mango puree.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Bryllethetraveller,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for taking time to write a review about your stay with us and for calling us your home in Cebu. It is our commitment to consistently serve our guests the best possible hospitality experience we call the Marco Polo Way.

Thank you for sharing the qualities that have made your stay pleasant. From spacious rooms and reasonable rates, to excellent customer service and good food, these points will give future guests a good reference.

We look forward to have you and your friends stay again at the Marco Polo Plaza Cebu on that next trip.

NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I arrived late to this hotel. There was construction on the roof and I was on the top floor. So I was not able to sleep in after arriving at the hotel at 3am. All they would say was I am sorry. They should post on their website if they are having construction so then you can decide if you would like to hear pounding each morning bright and early. There was no comps no refunds or any free breakfast just noise. I quickly checked out and they could care less. I wouldn't recommend this hotel just based on my experience, however I was in and out so quickly based on my poor experience and customer service!

Room Tip: Do NOT stay on high floor as they are having construction on the roof!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jamakared,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for taking time to write a review. We truly value feedback from our guests as this will help us fulfill our commitment to deliver the best of hospitality experience possible.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that the on-going room renovation has caused you and for the lack of sufficient information about it. It is now near completion and we do hope that you may consider staying at our hotel in the future.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

First time to stay in this hotel but I must say, expectations were met and very happy with our stay. Friendly, accommodating and courteous staff. Very clean room and T&B. Rates are reasonable and you get your money's worth. I'll definitely be going back here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Macky A,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for taking time to write a quick review about your stay at our hotel and for acknowledging the brand of customer service that our staff shared with you. It is our pleasure.

We are also glad to note that you find our rates reasonable especially that you are traveling on business. Thank you too for being definite to stay with us on that next Cebu trip. We look forward to see you again.
Cheers!

Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

been there last febuary its one of my dream to visit and see inside the hotel staff are so friendly weve been on the top floor i can see the whole view of the city of cebu love the restaurant we feel very welcome and love the sorroundings the landscape and whole entrance of the hotel it was very nice and lovely place to stay next time would love to go back and stay there with my hubby

Room Tip: higher floor facing either at where the mountain is or in side where you can see the whole view of c...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Marns M,

Greeting from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. We share with you the warm appreciation of the stunning view of Cebu which our hotel property uniquely provides as well as our facilities and surroundings.

Indeed, it is our pleasure to have served you well and we look forward have you both stay with us on that next travel to Cebu.

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Nice place to stay, pleasant pool, very kind staff. Food is international, breakfast is good (my advise : ask for a fresh mango !). We experienced an earthquake, the staff has been great ! organising mattresses on the 1rst floor for us the 1rst night. The whole staff is welcoming.

Room Tip: avoid too high floors
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
OnNivelHills, General Manager at Marco Polo Plaza, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Dear Framboise R,

Greetings from Marco Polo Plaza Cebu!

Thank you for sharing a good review about your stay in our hotel despite the challenge caused by the earthquake. May we take it as a compliment that you give credit on how our staff managed the situation. It is our commitment to you our guest, to be of service, the Marco Polo Way.

It is also our delight to note that you enjoyed our food and amenities. Thank you too for sharing quick tips.

We look forward to see you again on your future trips in Cebu!

Hans Hauri

Been to Marco Polo Plaza? Share your experiences!