“Very pleasant stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marco Polo Plaza

Save Saved
You added Marco Polo Plaza to your Saves list
Marco Polo Plaza
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cebu Veterans Drive | Nivel Hills, Lahug, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 77 Hotels in Cebu City
Cebu City, Philippines
“Very pleasant stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Stayed overnight with my friends after a corporate party still at Marco Polo. Food was disappointing but service was good, facilities were well improved and there was nothing notable to complain about the room where we stayed in. I must say, my stay was still a very pleasant one.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Sagay City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is my second time in Marco Polo Cebu so this is also going to be my second review of the hotel.

I was only scheduled for one night in Cebu but my tattoo session got delayed so I had a lame excuse to miss my flight and book another hotel. I initially stayed in Radisson but I thought I couldn't afford staying there for another night so I thought Marco Polo was a better option. I made a reservation on their own website but I did not get a confirmation right away - their reservations department only emailed me after I checked out - so I just dared to go to the hotel and luckily they still had a deluxe room available for their weekender package.

I got free Havaianas included in their weekender package - nothing fitted me though and everything seemed to be for girls so that was for my mother. They also had other freebies and discounts included in the package but I did not get any of them - one of those freebies they indicated (a Marco Polo explorer gift pack for kids) was not available in the gift shop as I was told.

I collect key card sleeves (or whatever you call that case they use for key cards) so one thing I immediately noticed was how thin the sleeves were compared to the last time I was in this hotel and that was just 2 months ago. Maybe the hotel was cost-cutting?

I did not get the free breakfast and I chose to order the room service breakfast instead. Yes, it may be a little pricey but boy was I so full after eating half of it, so I was pretty satisfied.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Marco Polo Hotel Cebu has regained the 'old charm' that was the Cebu Plaza Hotel until its demise a decade ago. This new hotel has not only regained but improved the facilities, rooms and particularly their food & beverage services. The hotel has a wonderful vigor about it.

Room Tip: The best views of the city all day.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
qld
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I have stayed at the MArco Polo a few times before. Although the rooms are a bit dated, i like the staff there and it seems to keep its classyness. There are lots of other newer hotels in Cebu now too but i would normally choose the Marco Polo. But never again.

I made my booking at lunch time on a Sunday via Agoda. Booking confirmed. When i arrived at the hotel that evening, they had no record of the reservation. The supervisor informed me that they don't do reservations on Sundays. And it is suppose to be a 4.5 star hotel?

Like many travelers i arrived after 12 hours of travel. Not only was the booking not processed, but the check in staff were very unhelpful. (ROse). Rather than copy the booking reference down and letting me go to my room,. i was made to find an internet connection and email it to them before they would give me a key. They had the Agoda booking, why force me to email it to them?

I asked for an Ocean View Room and was told none were available.However, the floor i was on seemed to almost empty except for me, in fact the hotel was quiet. Unless every ocean view room was out of service, i was lied to by the reservations people who i suspect just couldnt be bothered looking.

But it got worse. On checkout morning i got a phone call with a robotic voice asking if i had feedback. I said yes i did, but my comments about reservation problems seemed to drift past her ears like a warm summer breeze, and just a few "yes siiirrr" and then a goodbye. So i emailed the reservations manager with constructive advice as to how it could have been better. For my trouble i received 2 email replies. Both just said "test email". I also got a "Customer feedback" survey with about 150 questions..i doubt anyone would read the replies and so it wasnt worth the 20 minutes it would take to complete it.

If anyone from the Marco Polo chain reads reviews (i doubt) they really need to get in and shake up the Cebu reservations and check in staff. Worst experience ever at a hotel. Nothing goes right, they can't even respond to emails. I transferred to the Radisson Blu as soon as my booking was done.

Some great staff at the Marco Polo and the best breakfasts. But it wont survive if it bleeds its loyal customers with lazy and incompetent reservations staff.

Room Tip: Don't bother, "none available sirr" even with an almost empty hotel.
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hanford, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Book a three night stay at last minute, price per night is fair and worth it. I love this place, the lobby is classy and spacious, service is impeccable, very friendly staff and atmosphere, the room was clean, amenities were excellent, breakfast buffet was superb. My only complain was the tv, it was difficult to operate because of the cable company I was told. But other than that, it's a great place to stay while in Cebu city. The giant ensaymada pastry is to die for and it's a must try!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

Had a one night stopover before going to mactan.
I can say the hotel and its staff offer the best service and were professional but also very friendly.
Try the rooftop restaurant for a magical dining experience.
I will be going back here.

• Stayed October 2012
Quezon City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Though dated, the room was clean and comfortable.
The restaurant service was excellent and consistent in all the outlets. The menu had a good range of choices for lunch and breakfast. Food prices were reasonable.
The rooftop restaurant-bar had a great vista at night.
The location may not be too convenient if you have to go downtown often.

Room Tip: Get the bay view rooms. Avoid the mountain view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Marco Polo Plaza? Share your experiences!