“Strategically positioned...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 81 Hotels in Cebu City
Zamboanga City, Philippines
“Strategically positioned...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Been staying on this hotel for almost every month since 2012. All I can say that aside from their affordable rates, they are strategically located near the heart of uptown Cebu City. It is near Cebu Velez General Hospital, 7-11 convenience store, Robinsons Department Store and so on and so fort. Their staff is very friendly and accommodating, showing the very best of Cebuano hospitality.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Cebu City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I stayed here for 7 nights earlier this month, and am concerned about a staff member at this hotel posing a potential threat to female guests.

The majority of the staff at the Diplomat were friendly, helpful and polite, with a special mention to the girls at reception. However, when I requested assistance with a faulty internet connection, a bellboy was sent with me to my room. Sometime after he had fixed the problem and left, he began making harassing phone calls to my room, having guessed that I was a woman travelling alone. From what I could understand, this person’s name was “Johari” or “Jothari” (possibly Jeffrey?) and he asked if he could come back to my room because he was “lonely”.

I immediately hung up, to which the phone started ringing nonstop. After barricading the door and alerting friends and family, I reported the incident to reception. I was at first assured by a female supervisor that the man would be fired. However, I continued to receive phone calls from him in the next half-hour (which I always terminated). I was terrified he would break into my room and attack me, and considered seeking help from other guests rather than management.

Eventually reception called and said they had “told staff not to disturb you”, which did not put me at ease – the issue was not being “disturbed by staff”, it was being threatened by a PARTICULAR staff member. When my cousin rang the hotel, they apologised to her and said “Johari” had already received complaints after attempting to enter guest rooms without permission. When I asked to move rooms, the woman assisting me said, “He has been told.” I began to suspect "Johari" had been warned but not fired. I continued my stay at the hotel without incident, but I spotted "Johari" in uniform when I checked out days later.

I would not recommend this hotel on the basis that management allows a dangerous staff member, who has a history of harassing, following or threatening female clientele, to remain in their employ. It’s a shame because the location is good (very central, close to shopping centres as well as taxi/jeepney access), the reception ladies were lovely, prices were reasonable, and the rooms were satisfactory, if a little basic. But giving a staff member repeated opportunities to terrorize guests is a deal-breaker.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel 2 times. Once in December 2012 and also in May 2013. And yes I have stayed at more expensive hotels such as the Radisson Blu, Marriot and Elizabeth. For the price this hotel which is clean, accommodating and with a restaurant that serves good food cannot be beat. It is also very centrally located near Mango with other restaurants, laundry and a 7/11 within a short walk. if you are looking for upscale this is not your place but if you are looking for what I have mentioned, this hotel is a very choice. And staff is friendly and helpful.
No question that this hotel needs a major facelift, pretty well in all departments as one of the other posters mentioned.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

rooms stank of tenured cigarette smoke (from probably 3 months ago) in the room. towels did not smell clean. windows were full of bird droppings, i can hardly see out side view. bedding was scary. i accidentally dropped something under the bed.. and there it was.. food left overs from previous guests, dusts that looked seemed to be deliberately "hidden" there.
aircon unit was noisy, almost could not sleep.
good location though. i cant say that i got what i paid for in this hotel. although it is relatively cheap, it was still somewhat disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
memphis tn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed at the Diplomat hotel again on this trip. I will say that they are a 3 star hotel. They gave us a promo rate of 1360 php per day... (at 40 php per 1 usd = about 34 usd per day )
Location is great. We spend a lot of time in the Mango area... I walk from the diplomat to the Lighthouse House Resturant on Mango without much fear. I do watch where I am and how I act , but can walk with a high degree of safety, day or night. Past the Lighthouse not sure, but rarely will I be walking that far at night, the furthest is likey the El Gecko Bar back to J ave.
There are School Dorms being built in the area from the Diplomat to the Robinson Malls. There are students and medical staff out 24 hours a day. The beggers are not aggressive and are few in numbers ( on this last trip we saw them pick up - rescuse - a few homeless people at night.. there were at least 2 nights that the police was blocking the road and checking for illeagle motorcyle drivers and dui drivers in the three weeks we were there. Now this could have been because of Easter Holiday or elections coming up in May... but they were on the streets in force, while in a nice way. Very polite and smiling at us.
Service at the Diplomat was great. They responded with service anytime we asked. The girl on the floor in charge of cleaning was always there to give us anything we needed for the room., the front desk was friendly , always smiling and helpful.. a big change from the staff that used to work the front desk years ago...We would see some of the girls that worked the front desk out on the streets getting food,etc, and they would always smile and stop and talk to us. Makes a big difference. The hotel has free wifi for the rooms and have updated their TV Cable format. Both work great. The Wifi has enought speed to browse and do emails but U cannnot download fast enought to watch movies... etc... but it helps to be able to check your emails from the room...
Food and Water in the area is easy to get. The 7/11 across the street is open 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They have the Big Bottles of water we use for our coffee and cokes beer etc to stock the room refrig. Note the hotel will provide in the room refrig about 7 items, cokes, water, beer, U have to pay when U check out on any missing. It is easy to exchange them from the 7 / 11 except the water, they are label Diplomat Hotel water and they cannot be replace with local water bottles. I just take everything out and store it in the closet, and replace it when I leave... I do not drink their stuff... but that is just me...
The Resturants and dinners in the area are very good. We follow the locals (medical staff) and eat where they eat, local food is good and cheap. There are good resturants and fast food places everywhere around the hotel area, and some will deliver to the hotel for about 40 php charge. The front desk can help U with hotel deliverys. If U want to eat in the hotel the food is good and a little more expensive. They do have brew coffee which is good and their american breakfast has good bacon...
The massage palor out front is still good and very reasonable. They have a couple open up around the hotel area - across the street and next to the 7/11 but cannot vouch for their services... did not visit them on this trip ...lol...
So for us the Diplomat and the surrounding area is a great place to visit. Good price, friendly service and Location -Location - Location ...

_________________
Tim
from Memphis

Room Tip: Request the room to be in the New Wing...away from traffic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel 3 times already .it is clean and staff are friendly.Value for the money.If you need a hot water for your coffee inside your room just ring up the reception and ask them to bring up a hot water flask,The service is very good.The hotel is very convinient for me when i go to get my china visa.

Room Tip: Highly recommended but ask for a room in the new wing coz old wing are not very good
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Room looked ok, had fridge and safe and shower was good. the beds were made up really crazy with an itchy brown blanket and one thin white sheet, by the time i got out, the lot was coming off the bed. The aircon was so noisy, like it was going to explode. price was pretty good and the staff seemed a bit rude on the desk. Which is a shame because i do not expect that in the Philippines.
Had 3 bad nights sleep here which was probably my fault not the cockeral outside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Diplomat Hotel? Share your experiences!