“Better than what I was made to expect.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Cebu Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Cebu Grand Hotel to your Saves list
The Cebu Grand Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cebu Capitol Complex | North Escario St.,, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #39 of 77 hotels in Cebu City
Manila
“Better than what I was made to expect.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

Thanks to all who gave poor reviews my stay became more pleasant. It all started at the hotel counters at the airport. I approached the Cebu Grand staff and they said no Cebu City hotel gave free shuttle service. But the guy kindly assisted me in carrying my luggage all the way through exit and to board one of the airport (yellow) taxis. Upon arrival at the hotel, I was expected at check-in. Having arrived much earlier than check-in time, the front desk was willing to accommodate me an hour early. The lobby seems newly renovated. The buildings exterior is undergoing renovations. The basic room is big with a queen and single bed. Bed sheets were nice and clean. LCD TV, Ref, free Wifi. The bathroom is still at its original design. Makes me realize how old the hotel actually is. The staff were kind and polite. The breakfast inclusive to the room is decent given the price. Location is ideal. Within 10 mins from Ayala Mall and the city center. I'll check in here again.

Room Tip: check out www.agoda.com
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

92 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Beveren, Belgium
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2011

I stayed in the Grand Hotel many times over the years. But sorry, this was the last time.
On arrival, our reservated taxi pick up was not there. Response : we were expecting you tomorrow. I check if I have a room for today, then ? Answer : Oh yes, you have... Summary, it's my own fault ??
Wifi internet in the room is completely useless...no signal. I also tried with 3G, and that does work...but that is a paying Globe service which has nothing to do with the Grand Hotel. I call the reception : "Wifi is defect ?" Answer : you should restart your laptop... I answer I have a degree in computer engineering, and 3G does work. Response : the problem is with your laptop. And this goes on for a while, until I hang up. Summary, it's my own fault ??
As I said I WAS a regular visitor....I also tried to store an item for somewhat longer time in the stub room...well don't...item wil 'disappear'....Maybe somewhat understandable...but again, the staff will just hold you on a line until you check out (later, later, we're looking...).
Dear staff, if you make a mistake, just apologise and certainly don't blame your paying customer...what do I pay for ???
BTW, I did not get to see the manager also...so I'll do it this way, by internet.
I stayed there many times over time...and was somewhat forgiving...but now it's enough.
I should mention an incident a few years ago. Together with the toothpase and toothbrush, a few bottles of mineral water are supplied in a hotel. I flush my mouth with the 'mineral water'...within a fraction of a second I realise it's not water...I check out the bottle, exactly the same as the other bottle of mineral water, standing next to the other one...and I identify it as a strongily acidic cleaning agent ("bottle gurd"), which was apparently left next to the mineral water by the cleaning staff. A detail, that can cost you your life easily.
Oh, to be complete, the food is just average...as are the rooms (old)...but you can check this in other reviews.

Room Tip: Book a hotel closer to Ayala, save taxi costs
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

This is a perfect hotel for a short stay in Cebu. Our room was big and clean and the staff was friendly and very helpful. We didn't try the pool because we were there only for a night before going to Malapascua island. The breakfast (included in the price of the room) was ok with lots of Philippines specialties.
For dinner, head to the big mall called Ayala where you can find a good selection of restaurants, a well furnished bookstore and a nice garden.
But for longer stays, I would recommend opting for a resort.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in April and found it to be a little over average. The rooms are big, but old, the verandah is closed by a brick wall and the pool was merky. My friends stayed at the holiday spa and although the rooms were smaller it was a lot nicer. I had to pay for an adaptor in which every other hotel we stayed in provided for us.

On the positive side the staff seemed nice and the breakfast was good, just a little too early for my liking.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011 via mobile

An older style hotel in the middle of renovations, it was on the dark side. One elevator was out of service during our stay.
The friendly helpful staff made up for those flaws. They were very personable and always welcoming. They helped us out with taxis and room service when needed.
Buffet breakfast was included and there was a variety.
The bar served cocktails!
Our room, though older style was clean and well kept. We had to have our toilet fixed the first night there but they were prompt with it.
The location was ok, 5 mins by taxi to AYala, one of the biggest malls. The streets surrounding the hotel looked dinghy and we weren't game enough to walk around.
For a short hotel stay Cebu Grand is fine but if after a long relaxing stay, look to the resorts
I would stay there a short time

• Stayed April 2011
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2011

I have been to this hotel 3 times. It has changed for the better since the last time I was there. It has been modernized and the rooms are now up to standard.

The location is fine and the areas around pleasant. There are few facilities or restaurants nearby, so it is fortunate that the food at the hotel restaurant is good. Breakfast buffet is better than most hotels.

The business centre is very helpful. It is convenient for the things I needed to do, but it is not a top leisure hotel.

I would not stay there with someone else, but as a solo traveler just needing a base it is fine. [If I had my family with me I would have stayed at the Plantation. The extra money would be worth it for a holiday.]

That I've been there three times is an indication it suits my purposes.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I didn't actually stay at this hotel so I can't really comment about its services other than reservations.

What I can comment is the inflexibility of its staff when to trying to reserve a room there.

When I booked my accommodation through Agoda I mistakenly input the next day rather than my intended date later in January (note: Agoda defaults to the next day when you decide to make a booking).

I immediately realised my mistake and tried to reverse it. Unfortunately the booking was confirmed within minutes. I then contacted Agoda to see if they could fix my mistake, either changing the date or canceling my booking. Agoda were very helpful and contacted Cebu Grand to try to convince them of my honest mistake.

Cebu Grand were inflexible and refused to either change my booking date or refund any part of the total tariff . Yes, they were within their rights to do so, but it was an honest mistake which I immediately tried to remedy.

Just be very careful with Grand Cebu, obviously money is more important to them than customer relations.

Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Cebu Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!