“ON SINULOG PARADE ROUTE, BEST LOCATION!” 3 of 5 stars

Rajah Park Hotel
Fuente Osmena, Cebu City 6000, Philippines (Formerly Garwood Park Hotel)   |
Ranked #44 of 75 hotels in Cebu City
Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts
“ON SINULOG PARADE ROUTE, BEST LOCATION!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I choose this hotel due to the location, uptown part of Cebu. It was considerably safer part of town and very accessable to public commute either by jeepney or taxi. From Airport to Hotel is around 20minutes without the traffic ($9.70/one way by cab). Be aware of the begging children outside the hotel, they tend to be pushy when they familiarize your face that you are very charitable. watch out for your wallet and bags too, as you dont know snatchers are just around the corner. But relax, anywhere in the world has negative side of tourism. This is Cebu, a mix blend of people and you are rather on the safer side of the city.
Adjacent establishments are Robinsons Mall(cheap clean food can be bought here-try the Cebu's Finest Lechon at the mall basement, it's the best($5/serving), Mcdonalds, Banks, Travel Agency,Bakeshop,Pharmacy, Laundry shop, Hospital(Cebu Doctors Hospital 0.5KM away),Chung Hua Hospital(0.1Kmaway), Vicente Sotto Hospita(0.1Km), SM Mall(around less than 10KM) and tourist spots are within 10 to 15mile radius. Just make sure when taking a cab to have it metered, so you won't be rip off. Larsian Street Food BBQ is just around the corner, try their famous HANGING RICE(defibitely a culinary experience for 1st time tourrist) and their flavorful BBQ with some exotic parts of chicken grilled(like CHICKEN gizzard,liver,butt,intestines,head,feet,skin,neck-not for fainted heart). Fine Authentic Restaurants is within the vicinity (ask the front desk) like Abuhan and etc.
The Sinulog parade route passes by at this hotel, I did watched the crowd and performers from my window-so convenient. During my stay, it was a mix of pleasant and unpleasant experience. I booked 1 month stay which I considered too long to visit a place, I was a personal guests of the Hotel owner Mr. M.V. At first the staff just don't pay attention to me, I just blend as other guests, but when Mr. MV invited me for a dinner at the lobby, the news spread fast that in the succeeding days of my stay, I was treated like a royalty, mmm that's odd.
This hotel has great potential because it is really in a great location however the rooms needed an upgrade, carpet look tired and old, furnishings look cheap and dirty, sheets and lines needs new replacement,sound proofing between the windows and the park should be a priority. During the whole event of Sinulog, I could not sleep not after 1 or 2 am because the sound blasting from Fuente Osmena Park vibrates through the window and intensely loud. AVOID the rooms facing the Park if you want quiet sleep but if you want to see the actions down below the park, Suite rooms facing the Park is ideal for you if you don't mind the noise.
The lift is decent, there is only one in the building. I rather take flight of stairs going up and down my room. Buffet is decent, mostly Filipino Dish. The attendants were very attentive to refill your coffee and clean your table, please dearly tourist give "TIPS" to these hard working people. Every morning, I went down for a coffee, I watched very demanding guests and don't even bother to leave a tip.
Rooms is not equipt with safety box but you can always leave your valuable at the safety box at the front desk, it was very safe because your holding a a personal key to your internal box and the box has double lock which only the designated desk officer has an access and separate key to open the outer box. there is a money changer 5 steps away from the front desk, so convenient and safe from the prying eye of whoever.
There is a Casino at the 2nd Floor, I took a peak and I saw a slot machine, Im not sure if they play Bacarrat or anything as I didn't tried to play there. There is also a Massage Spa in the 3rd Floor, however I think they need to tidy up the place to look more professional.
the Front Desk receptionist were helpful and pleasant. What amazes me is the Security or the Bell Boy who open s the door for you manually every time you go in and out the hotel with the greetings of "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening Sir/Maam to every passers by. Jeeee1 that must be a dedication! Housekeeping job did an awesome maintenance of my room, I always leave them a tip. They were very respectful too and very quick to response to any of my additional request.
The room rate is reasonable but if they upgrade their facilities, they could go up next level hotel star. There is a hotel close to Rajah but I found it over rated and expensive. A 2 star travel lodge is nearby too but I would not dare to stay there.
Nevertheless I have pleasant Stay except for the Noise and tired facilities. I would definitely come back and stay with this hotel after they upgrade their facilties.
To all the Hardworking staff, I salute you...you did an awesome job!

Room Tip: Avoid Rooms facing the Fuente Osmena, it is rather noisy than getting a restful sleep. I stayed in r...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

37 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Korean first
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

we stayed here just this nov. 2012 we stayed for 3 days...the room is okey and the buffet breakfast is good... my only complaint is when we asked them to clean our room when we came back my daughters stuff toy is lost.. its a big crocodile stufftoy.. we cpouldnt find it anywhere... to all the travellers just be careful with your things you must keep it well or if possible bring it along with you.. we are just thankful that they didnt took our laptop and my ipad 2.....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

The foyer was quite grand, reception very helpful.
There is a restaurant with very attentive staff, but I thought it was expensive.

The room was tiny and I only stayed one day thankfully
Ethernet Internet was OK not wireless in the room.
There was wireless in the lobby.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

The hotel"s location is very strategic. Very accessible to banks, fastfood restaurant, drugstores, and grocery stores/convenience store. Its just near Robinsons mall and one ride to Ayala Center. The staff including the waiter are very helpful. The hotel rate is very reasonable. What more can you ask for. Ive stayed in the hotel for the sixth time already.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

OK - admittedly, when you pull up to the hotel it does come off a bit dodgy; however, in retrospect that has more to do with the neighborhood than the hotel itself. And to be perfectly honest, this was not our group's first choice, but instead a last minute decision However, I am absolutely glad we stayed at the Rajah Park!! Once we got settled, we quickly came to truly appreciate the location as it was - dare i say it - perfect! There are a variety of places to eat that are within plain sight, a mall across the street and Mango Ave a 10m walk. Additionally, the rates are very reasonable, the staff is very friendly and attentive, and the breakfast buffet delicious! Additionally, there's a decent massage parlor on premises as well as a casino. The rooms are simple and clean - and everything works with regards to air conditioning, showers, television, etc. The Rajah Park Hotel is not five star resort living by any stretch of the imagination - but for what we needed it more than fit the bill - so much so that the Rajah Park is now our first choice when visiting Cebu.

Room Tip: I stayed on the fifth floor in room #526 - which is off to the side and in the back with regards to...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
International
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

I will say this. When you first see the outside of the hotel. You will think OMG did I choose a dump. But on the contrary, you couldn't be more wrong. The staff is courteous and friendly. You will see masks all around the lobby there is a festival in Cebu once a year. The hotel has a strong sense of culture. If you like to gamble. There is a casino on the second floor and if you want a massage, there is a massage parlor on the third floor. The hotel is inexpensive and it is close to everything. There is a McDonalds, KFC, Chowking right on the same street. There is a drug store on the corner and there is a Watson's around the corner. There is a mall next door and the Starbucks is a block away but you have to use the crosswalk to get there. The hotel also has a live band about every night and sometimes even the hotel guest will come up and sing. It's a real treat. If you are going to Cebu you have to give this hotel a try. It's a simple and clean hotel. The staff is friendly and you get more than what you pay for. I will list the drawbacks. There is only wireless in the lobby but my friend was able to connect to another network that was nearby I'm not sure how. The wired connection in the rooms is pretty fast. It took a long time for the water to get hot and sometimes it was only luke warm. Other than that, I would stay at this hotel again and would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants an affordable stay in the heart of Cebu.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I have been coming in the Raja Park for a long time, ever since it was called Park place, which was before it was called The Garwood, while now it is called the Rajah Park.

Always enjoyed my stay there: friendly people, but make sure you do not accept the first room you are given as there are differences between the rooms that are not always expressed in the price. Some rooms have no window or have a view on a blind wall. The bathrooms are spacious but rather basic. I have had my best stay in the corner rooms on the upperfloor: Spacious and with a great view.

I saw the surroundings were described as 'grimey'. I do not agree. I'd say lively like most asian towns. Yes, there are beggars and salespeople around, but you find these on the Cote d'azur as well. It just belongs to cebu. None of the beggars (often children) are aggressive, but yes, sometimes a bit persistent. You will find this with many midtown and downtown places. The Raja park is situated smack in the middele of Midtown on the Fuente Osmena circle with the Robinson supermarket and many eating places close by.

The food is decent, service is good and i found the hotelstaff very friendly.
I am not saying this hotel is the best value for money (maybe then you should check out the Diplomat in Ramos) but it is pleasant to stay.

I have not encountered the cockroaches as were described, but if I have one point of criticism: The TV reception was a bit poor

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Rajah Park Hotel? Share your experiences!