“Don't ever choose this hotel !!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Plaza Hotel

Save Saved
You added Holiday Plaza Hotel to your Saves list
Holiday Plaza Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   F. Ramos Street | P.O. Box 237, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #25 of 75 hotels in Cebu City
Singapore
“Don't ever choose this hotel !!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2010

This hotel was recommended by a reputable travel agent in Singapore as 4-star rating. It takes about 45 minutes to get there (mostly due to bad traffic on most days) from the airport. The hotel is pretty run-down from the outside, but it gets worse when you get into the room.

FIrstly, driveway is very small, only can fit 1 mini van and there won't be much space to walk around it. Upon stepping into the hotel lobby, it's quite gloomy looking and has a stale smell (like a combination of old wood furniture mixed with stale aroma from the cafe).

There is no tour desk at this hotel and the front desk do not have any brochures or information for tourists. We were given some "quotes" from the staff when we asked about some day tours that we could do.

In the room, the furniture looked really old, carpet was badly stained, bedsheets torn, curtains stained and torn, bathroom tiles cracked and worst of all, the shower head was all rusty and had some weird thing sticking out of the holes !! Towels did not look clean, but rather old and yellowish. The only basic toiletry provided is a bar of soap for washing hands and toilet paper.

The supposedly popular chef's recommendation in the menu was the clubhouse sandwich, that tasted really bad. The "ham" in the sandwich was very dark red with white patches on it. The freshest looking thing on the plate was the fries and chili sauce.

I was charged PHP250 to send an overseas fax and i was not given any receipt for that. They apparently don't issue receipts on such things.

The concierge (actually just a guy standing by the door, no booth at all) seem to only open doors and help when he feels like it.

On a slightly brighter note, the location is not that bad, but expect to travel far to see a beach. It's 2 minutes walk to a very busy street with lots of fastfood outlets and a shopping center for getting basic things.

If you intend to go Cebu for a worry free holiday resort style, don't choose this hotel. It's nowhere near the beach or sea and the amounts you pay to get to the beaches is not worth it at the end.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
eire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2009

i dont understand the bad reviews of this hotel. I have stayed there many times over the years. Remember it is the Phils , not London or USA, Breakfast is the best experience ive ever had in any hotel in Phils . It is a buffet and u can get ur omelette cooked in front of you,,,plus all kinds of breads and pastries,,,native foods and fruits . What other way to start off ur day,,I never had a problem with staff, all staff were good . And it helps to leave a tip in the room for the cleaners, peso 30 or 50 makes a big difference to these workers . Plus it will make them remember you . There is a safety deposit downstairs for the wallet and cash and valuables, I suppose only thing is the internet connection is abit over the top,.peso 100 per hour on a card. Location is tip top, And those security guys take a lot of care of their guests, supplying all kinds of information for the traveller .
Come on ,,its great hotel, i remember being charger 15 pesos in a competing hotel in cebu for eating an extra banana at breakfast .!!!!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2009

OK so we met here and then we married and all that romantic stuff..... so we are biased, ok? This trip we stayed in Mid-Town hotel (major mistake, truly awful), LS Pension House #3 and then back to our dear Holiday Plaza. It needs renovating. The restaurant in the evening is awful. Breakfast is just fabulous - the choice is great and the service is fantastic. Eat upstairs on the rooftop - Sinugba Bay - for grills and soup and other nice stuff. Not cheap, but worthwhile at least once on your trip. Reception is professional, room service/housekeeping is brilliant, but the staff need to work hard for your tip as they are not well paid. We had been surprised by the poor reviews here and elsewhere and felt that this trip (18 months since we were last here) the hotel has tried hard to respond to criticism - but do not expect any major investment and up-grade!!!!
So, we felt good getting back. Hotel is nearly 3 times the price of the pension house (2000 pesos v 750 pesos), but we really enjoyed the last week of our holiday staying here - as did our Cebu friends who kept coming to see us in the hotel!

Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
The Villages, florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

I've visited cebu four time the last two years and I always choose Holiday Plaza being close to almost everything, shopping mall, restaurants, food mart, etc. I'm a kind of guy who does not complain about little shortcmings with regards to hotel services. Though I agree on some of the complains cited by other guests on this hotel.. But my last stay with this hotel got into my nerve. I lost a ring and a necklace I left in my jacket in my room. Did not report to front desk, because I only discover it that my jewelry gone when I was checking out, hoping that I might have put it back in my luggage, as I don't wear jewelry when I'm traveling. I'm aware about hotel policy that they are not responsible for any lost things left in the hotel, but some workers in this hotel having access to room are sticking their fingers on garments hang on closets and also cleaning out what they can find. I've heard that manaement underpaid them, but it's not an excuse. Management must be make aware of this if they want a good reputation and do more business....

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo

Been to Holiday Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!