The hotel opened in January 2013, in time for the Sinulog festivities, and I was privileged to be one of the first guests to check-in.
It all started on January 2, 2013, when I was scrambling to look for hotels along the Sinulog Grand Parade route. I was almost hopeless as all of the hotels I called/contacted (online) were full. Well, that isn’t surprising as hotels start accepting Sinulog reservations as early as June, and they’re most likely to get fully booked by the -ber months. Blame it on my procrastination. I committed the same mistake in 2011, that’s why I ended up staying at Sugbutel for Sinulog 2012.
Since hotels along the parade route were already full (some even had waiting lists already), I started to tap other hotels just near the route (I was considering hotels along Gorordo, Escario or Capitol). I managed to contact around five hotels that still had a few rooms, but the problem was, their rates were already exorbitantly high!
And then I remembered the newly-opened Best Western Plus LEX Hotel (which I will refer to as LEX Cebu in the coming sentences). I didn’t know how to reach them but for some reason, I was subscribed to their Facebook page. I sent them a very short message, “Hello. Do you still have available rooms for Sinulog?”. I was very delighted when I read the prompt response. Yes! They still had superior rooms available and at a promotional rate at that (P2,800 per night, inclusive of buffet breakfast for 2 instead of the regular rate of P5,000~)! Plus, they only required a minimum of 2 nights stay (other hotels require a minimum of 3 nights stay for you to book a room for Sinulog weekend. Other hotels that take advantage of the scarcity of rooms even require a minimum of 5-7 nights stay!).
For me to seal the deal, I would have to make the full payment through a bank transfer. Since I was still in Singapore when I made the inquiry, I asked if they could still hold the room and wait for me to make the payment as soon as I return to Cebu. As a standard practice, they committed to keep my booking for seven days. By January 7, I was able to deposit the full payment. I scanned the deposit slip and sent it to Ms. Rhea Tuanquin, Rooms Division Manager of LEX Cebu. Finally, my booking was already confirmed and I thank Ms. Tuanquin for the smooth, fast and hassle-free transaction.
January 19, 2013
*** all of the photos were taken by an iPhone 5.
The day has finally come. My brother and I would be staying at the newest hotel in the city, Best Western Plus LEX Cebu.
Check-in time is at 2pm and it was a breeze. After filling out the check-in form, I was asked to make an incidental deposit of P1,000 per night. (Incidental deposits are usually collected for miscellaneous items and services you may use at the hotel like telephone calls or valet parking. It is also a hotel’s “safety barrier” just in case a guest steals towels or damages hotel facilities. Policy varies per hotel.) After the standard procedures, we were then accompanied by a bell boy to our room, Room 503. While we were on the elevator, Mr. Bell Boy, who was all smiles, suggested that we check out their roof deck for “amazing views” of the city. We’ll check that out after we settle in our room.
As we got inside our room, I couldn’t contain my excitement. I quickly thought to myself, “gosh this is a steal!”. The room we were in was about three times larger than my room at home, haha, plus, it was a corner room!
Here are a few reasons why we made the right choice by staying at Best Western Plus LEX Cebu for Sinulog 2013:
1. As I mentioned earlier, the deal we got was a steal. It cost us much less than its real worth.
2. Best Location! Nestled at the corner of Juana Osmeña and Escario streets, LEX Cebu was the best place to stay for Sinulog. Baseline, which hosted the party of all Sinulog parties, was only 500 meters away from the hotel. 300 meters more would take you to General Maxilom (Mango) Avenue, the heart of the Sinulog Grand Parade. LEX Cebu was very near the happenings but was not affected by the road closures during Sinulog. Taxis were scarce that day but jeepneys that would take you directly to Ayala Center Cebu or Cebu IT Park were readily available as they pass along Escario Street.
3. Convenience within reach. McDonald’s beside the hotel operates 24/7. Beside the hotel is Escario Central, a strip mall featuring 7-Eleven, Zubuchon, Cafe Saree, Bubble Bee Tea House, among others. Across the hotel is Orkid Commercial Complex which plays host to Buddies’ Burger and Labeled Liquor Store + Bar, among others. Landbank, Chinabank and other ATMs are also just a few steps away from the hotel.
Considering the above, we really made the most out of our short stay at Best Western Plus LEX Cebu. In other words, sinulit namin, inavail talaga namin! Hahaha! I’d love to stay here again for Sinulog 2014, but I don’t think I’ll be able to afford their regular rates. As a budget traveler, I rarely spend for luxurious hotel accommodations. It actually felt good that I was able to reward and pamper myself for a short period, all thanks to Best Western Plus LEX Cebu and their very warm and accommodating staff!
The next time you’re visiting Cebu, do consider Best Western Plus LEX Cebu!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Priceline, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL and Venere so you can book your BEST WESTERN Plus Lex Cebu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- BEST WESTERN Plus Lex Cebu Cebu Island/Cebu City