“It is budget and it is alright” 4 of 5 stars

Express Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   M.J. Cuenco | Mabolo, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #36 of 73 hotels in Cebu City
Singapore
“It is budget and it is alright”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

I stayed at the ExpressInn two weeks ago, early December2012. Indeed it is a real budget accommodation and one should not expect more at the rates they are charging. I also had some issues w the shower head, but the staff was superfriendly and helpful and accommodating (came to fix the shower head in less than 10 minutes - not sure the Ritz can do it any faster). The location is perfect between the Ayala Ctr and the SM Megamall. I would recommend to the hotel though to provide a cover for the blanket, currently the blankets have no changeable cover and who knows who used them before you, this seems to be pretty basic , it is silly to charge an extra 50p for something as basic as a blanket cover. If you need a clean and efficient place centrally located at a budget price then this is the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Boracay, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Before I start let me stress that I have worked at Senior Management in Hotels in London and Central America for over 12 years. I now live and work in the Philippines and, having traveled extensively round SE Asia, am used to staying in hotels of all levels but have never before felt compelled to write a bad review.
My first impression of this little place were good. However when I went for breakfast the first morning I asked for extra bacon as it did not come with my "included breakfast". I waited realistically (people tend to exaggerate at this point) 15/20 mins and when it arrived everything was stone cold, scrambled eggs and toast, except for the bacon. I asked them to warm it up and they did. Every morning they brought me breakfast without cutlery and I had to ask for it.

I then asked Reception for an extra top sheet, there is a blanket but I like a sheet underneath it. They advised me it would cost and extra 50 pesos, to which I agreed. I returned from work and the sheet was not there, so I advised the Receptionist who repeated the extra cost 50 pesos. I said I already knew and had already agreed. She apologised and told me the sheet would be there when I return later. It WAS NOT and I never received it.

You could be forgiven for thinking these issues are relatively minor in a country that struggles to come to terms with Customer Service but here's the final straw. On Check Out I asked if I could speak with the Manager, who was sitting in a small office behind the desk (there was even a small window separating the two areas). The Receptionist went into the office and returned to tell me the Manager couldn't speak with me because he was busy. I told her that I do not accept that and that I wanted to speak with him immediately. She was visibly terrified at the thought of relaying this message to her Manager so I assured her that she, personally, had done nothing wrong but I insist on speaking with him. I told her that if he doesn't come out to talk to me I will go into his office to talk to him.

The Receptionist entered the office again and returned to reiterate that the Manager was too busy to come and talk to me. Assuming that he could hear me through the window I expressed my dissatisfaction that he could not be bothered to come out of his office to talk to a disgruntled Guest. I said that I would never stay there again, never recommend it to anyone and would instruct my Company never to send anyone there again, which I have done.

I then went to enter a Taxi waiting outside the Hotel and was stopped by an armed Security Guard, who stood in my way and told me I could not take that Taxi as mine was on it's way. I had to push him out of my way to get into the Taxi.

This is an example of how you should not Manage a Hotel. The Manager here, whoever he is, should be absolutely ashamed of himself. All of this could have been avoided if he could have been bothered to get off his axxe and come to speak with me for 5 mins. I hops he and his Bosses read this, though I do not expect any of them have it in them to even bother to write a Management Response. You are useless Express in Management. Never again.....

Room Tip: Ask for one that has a working shower drain so your room does not flood every time you wash!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Paranaque, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I visited Cebu from November 23 - 26. I stayed overnight in this hotel overnight from the 25th till the following day.

Upon check in, I was impressed since the lobby was small but was very clean. They were all smiles. My partner and I were tired since we came from buying pasalubong. They told us that 980 included accomodation and buffet for the next day. I got super excited since for 980 it included accomodations for 2 with buffet.

We went up and the room was ready except that there were no towels, so I requested for 2.

Tge following day, we still did not get the towels I requested. Moreso, breakfast was not buffet instead continental which included eggs, bread and a choice of coffee or juice. So I went to the reception and asked why there is no buffet, they said that they did not have buffet since Nov 1.

I asked for the manager and I had to wait 30 minutes for the manager to talk to me. The receptionist insisted that she was the OIC and she cant do anything about it. After sometime, the manager talked to me and she saw how frustrates I was and disappointed. My point was, if you tell/promise something to your customer... DO IT. She said she's gonna do something, but upon following up, front desk said she left.

We left the hotel frustrated and super disappointed. You can try their service and end up feeling the.same way. :(

• Stayed November 2012
silay city, negros occidental
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

our friend book us in express inn,cebu by the internel. when we arrived to check in , the front desk informed us that we have a reservation but the rates was higher. we cancelled our reservation, started our trip horrible by looking for another place to stay. arnet

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Express Inn? Share your experiences!