“Interesting Boutique Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Henry Hotel Cebu

You added The Henry Hotel Cebu to your Saves list
The Henry Hotel Cebu
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Ma Luisa Entrance Road | One Paseo Compound, Banilad, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Cebu City
Cebu City, Philippines
“Interesting Boutique Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

(+) Clean, very artsy and unconventional aesthetic (shabby chic, material fidelity, and the mural in every room is a nice surprise) w/o going over the top. Has a small gallery at the 2nd floor w/ an adjoining bar. Also love the service, esp Belle who was very accommodating and showed me around to check our options. Small pool was ok for a party of 10 or less. Recommended for couples or close friends.

(-) Was not impressed with the food. The room lighting is quite muted so not ideal for families with kids I suppose. You may also be thrown off by the door-less T&B but if you're with your best friends or your SO, should not be an issue.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire team, thank you for taking time to give us highly encouraging review and for appreciating our service and facilities. We have carefully noted your suggestions for improvement particularly on food and lighting and we assure you that we will take the appropriate measures to address them. Meantime, please visit us again and we hope that you will also recommend our hotel to your friends.

Mirro

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Do not hesitate to stay here, one of the best rooms I have ever stayed in, so huge and comfortable, bed awesome, big bathroom, the staff is the best, so helpful and genuine to please. The restaurant is decent also... The pool is really nice, never expected that, need a few more chaise lounges, only have four, but a nice little oasis... A ways away from main part of town but not a huge inconvenience, a little tricky to find but being they changed the name recently I would expect new signage soon.... I highly recommend this property... If with a group of people, would be nice too, the biggest rooms are gigantic... such a quiet place, built like a fortress......The Spa next door is awesome, very professional... and some nice little restaurants on the street....

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are pleasant but all are ok..
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the whole team, thank you for an inspiring review and for allowing us to be of service to you. We look forward to hosting your future visits.

Mirro
Bohol Island, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay in this boutique hotel which offers excellent value for money compared to other more mediocre hotels in Cebu. It is worth contacting the hotel directly before you book through the usual search engines as we were able to avail of a "hot" offer that was not shown on the website at the time we booked. We received a warm welcome on arrival and the staff continued to go out of their way to make us feel welcome throughout our stay. We were looking forward to the German cuisine for which the restaurant has become renowned (see previous reviews) and were disappointed to find that the menu does not now offer any German specialities. We were told that the hotel has recently been acquired by a new owner and that several changes are being made, not least to the restaurant. However, we had a good dinner and this made up for the initial disappointment. Our room was extremely comfortable and we loved the unique design elements. We hope the new owner does not change the concept which we think works very well indeed. We did not try the pool so cannot comment on that. Breakfast was OK although I would prefer not to have everything served up on one plate as it was. We will certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the pool (quieter). Some guests commented about noise from the disco. We...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Delighted about your "excellent stay" and we truly appreciate that you took time to write us a review. Thank you for suggestion re breakfast. Rest assured that we shall endeavor to keep the great quality of food we have now in Rica's restaurant. It is our goal too as a design hotel to keep the unique qualities of our guest rooms and the design element of the hotel as you so pointed out in your review. We look forward to having you once again as our guest in the near future.

Manila, Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Checked in here before sinulog 2013 and I must say that it's one of those places that you will always remember.

They have some interesting pieces which is nice. The location, however, is a little far from the action. The locals also are not aware of the hotel if you ask them. Just make sure you know the exact address to tell the taxi driver when you go out. Also, you can hear the music from the bar til late night. Other than that, staying here is an experience itself.

• Stayed January 2013
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to convey your stay experience or sharing your thoughts on how the hotel services can further be improved. Please be assured that we are taking the necessary measures to address all your concerns particularly on the noise coming from the bar. Meantime, i look forward to hosting your future stay.

singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in early 2012 when it just opened as House of Cebu. Blown away by the decor. It is amazingly cool! Bathroom with a windor but no door. How cool is that?! Everything was immense. Breakfast was lovely. Didn't get to dip in the pool though. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012
Saitama, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at The Henry for 3 nights – it used to be called The House Of Cebu.

As has been remarked this is a lovely hotel that will give you a very nice room for a very competitive price. The restaurant was very good, but also not especially good value.

The hotel as a whole is very stylized and stylish.
Some people may love how it looks; others may find it not to their taste.

The staff were very polite and helpful.

The Wi-Fi worked about 50% of the time, but was generally quite slow.
The nearest Internet cafe is not at all near.

I care a lot about showers, and I chose this hotel on the basis that the photos on here actually showed the showers so I knew I would at least be satisfied in this regard. The shower was decent, top priority taken care of: it was not a fixed head/fixed position shower. There were 2 options - the rain style shower and what is variously called a telephone shower or detachable shower (which is what I look for). So, I could feel clean whilst there. That said, the water temperature and water pressure were both meh... still, 1 out of 3 ain't bad (I’ve stayed in plenty of places over the years that scored zero).

The area around the hotel includes a few bits and pieces.
The bakery was decent, the KTV was not so great, the Spa was not cheap but the Indonesian deep tissue massage was nice and intense, around the corner is a little shop that sells almost exclusively Japanese products - so if you have ever wondered what Japanese people actually have sitting around in their kitchens and living rooms pop in there. The 7-11 would be handy, but crossing that road isn’t.

And then there's the bar...
I was in the 5th floor.
The bar is on the 2nd floor.

Actually the BGM was not bad, I am a good sleeper and could have slept through that.

What I did struggle with was that on my 1st night there was a private party in there and I could clearly hear the cheering, whooping, hollering etc in my room. 1st up I personally hate it when stupid drunk people arbitrarily make more noise than they need to - I mean, sure, when out clubbing there is a certain amount release that comes from the occasional "wooo!" that emerges in relation to the music or events within the club. But man... stupid drunk people who think it is their duty to make some God-awful noise every 2 mins for no particular reason >_<
It ought to be a punishable offence in my opinion, and a painful punishment at that.
I figured to myself, well, rather than sit up here getting aggravated I would go and have a drink in there. NOPE it’s a private party, no entry.

So,
Dear The Henry,

If you are going to ruin a very nice hotel by putting a disco/bar on the 2nd floor then NEVER ALLOW PRIVATE PARTIES IN THERE.

If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em.
And if you can’t join ‘em, you may end up wanting to ‘beat’ them (with a stick).

On my final night there, there was quite a good blues band playing in the bar, and during the show I went back to my room to check the noise and it wasn’t so bad. The private party was particularly noisy and also insisted on particularly poor music (why am I hearing Ace of Base in 2013?) alongside copious amounts of moronic behavior.

Bottom line: if you have any doubts about how you feel about noise do not stay at this hotel. If you plan to be out every night, or never try and sleep early then it may be a very good choice for you as it is nice.

Oh and there is a pool out back which looked decent.

Room Tip: Even on the 5th floor you may still be able to hear the bar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel Cebu, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

My heartfelt thanks for choosing our hotel to host your visit and for your valued review. Have noted your review re the unpleasant experience brought about by the loud music originating from Scrapyard bar. Please be assured that we are taking the necessary measures to address this specifically through sound proofing. Meantime, we look forward to your next visit. Thank you very much.

Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I found and booked this hotel on www.agoda.com for a reasonable rate. Trust me, their restaurant is not worth the up-charge for an included breakfast. I can't speak for lunch or dinner there, but the breakfast was the worst I had in the Philippines. It wasn't terrible, it wast just barely mediocre.

The bed in my room was by far the most comfortable I slept on in the Philippines. I mean it was very comfortable and the linens were sparkling clean. The bathroom in my suite was also very nice (see pictures). I stayed in their "XL Room" and was very impressed with the exception of a couple little issues. And when I say little issues, they really were little. I only mention them because this hotel has the potential to be excellent but it kind of misses in my opinion. I would stay here again without hesitation but would love to see them step up and get everything right.

Small issues were a) no laundry list in the room, b) no spare toilet paper roll in the bathroom and c) no iron or ironing board in the room. Like I said, small issues but when I needed my clothes laundered I had to carry them down to the front desk where I was asked to fill out an inventory form. I complained and the clerk at the desk said she would have housekeeping do the inventory for me. My issue was that I would have to either go back to my room to sort the clothes or spread them out in the lobby. Putting a laundry list in the room would have solved that problem before it even started. Calling for an iron and ironing board was not a big deal, but it would not be a big deal to have those in the room for guests to use. A spare roll of toilet paper can be a real life saver when needed. Fortunately, I noticed it missing before it was an issue. lol

I had a great meal at a Yakiniku restaurant in the next parking lot (look it up if you don't know what a Yakiniku restaurant is), a very good pedicure at a salon next door to the hotel and a great massage at a Korean spa that was a 2 minute walk away. The hotel restaurant was barely mediocre but there are plenty of options nearby, including a Filipino bread and pastry stand across the street.

I would stay here again without hesitation. It's set up like a boutique hotel and they get most things right. The things they don't get right are minor.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the room type that I had - XL Room. I loved the room and bath - see the pics.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Henry Hotel Cebu? Share your experiences!