“Good and interesting but away from the action” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Henry Hotel

You added The Henry Hotel to your Saves list
The Henry Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   One Paseo, Paseo Saturnino | Maria Luisa Road, Banilad, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Offers & Announcements
10% OFF BAR!
Ranked #2 of 76 Hotels in Cebu City
Manila, Manila, Philippines
“Good and interesting but away from the action”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Checked in here before sinulog 2013 and I must say that it's one of those places that you will always remember.

They have some interesting pieces which is nice. The location, however, is a little far from the action. The locals also are not aware of the hotel if you ask them. Just make sure you know the exact address to tell the taxi driver when you go out. Also, you can hear the music from the bar til late night. Other than that, staying here is an experience itself.

• Stayed January 2013
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to convey your stay experience or sharing your thoughts on how the hotel services can further be improved. Please be assured that we are taking the necessary measures to address all your concerns particularly on the noise coming from the bar. Meantime, i look forward to hosting your future stay.

Mirro Reperuga

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Korean first
singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in early 2012 when it just opened as House of Cebu. Blown away by the decor. It is amazingly cool! Bathroom with a windor but no door. How cool is that?! Everything was immense. Breakfast was lovely. Didn't get to dip in the pool though. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2012
Saitama, Japan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at The Henry for 3 nights – it used to be called The House Of Cebu.

As has been remarked this is a lovely hotel that will give you a very nice room for a very competitive price. The restaurant was very good, but also not especially good value.

The hotel as a whole is very stylized and stylish.
Some people may love how it looks; others may find it not to their taste.

The staff were very polite and helpful.

The Wi-Fi worked about 50% of the time, but was generally quite slow.
The nearest Internet cafe is not at all near.

I care a lot about showers, and I chose this hotel on the basis that the photos on here actually showed the showers so I knew I would at least be satisfied in this regard. The shower was decent, top priority taken care of: it was not a fixed head/fixed position shower. There were 2 options - the rain style shower and what is variously called a telephone shower or detachable shower (which is what I look for). So, I could feel clean whilst there. That said, the water temperature and water pressure were both meh... still, 1 out of 3 ain't bad (I’ve stayed in plenty of places over the years that scored zero).

The area around the hotel includes a few bits and pieces.
The bakery was decent, the KTV was not so great, the Spa was not cheap but the Indonesian deep tissue massage was nice and intense, around the corner is a little shop that sells almost exclusively Japanese products - so if you have ever wondered what Japanese people actually have sitting around in their kitchens and living rooms pop in there. The 7-11 would be handy, but crossing that road isn’t.

And then there's the bar...
I was in the 5th floor.
The bar is on the 2nd floor.

Actually the BGM was not bad, I am a good sleeper and could have slept through that.

What I did struggle with was that on my 1st night there was a private party in there and I could clearly hear the cheering, whooping, hollering etc in my room. 1st up I personally hate it when stupid drunk people arbitrarily make more noise than they need to - I mean, sure, when out clubbing there is a certain amount release that comes from the occasional "wooo!" that emerges in relation to the music or events within the club. But man... stupid drunk people who think it is their duty to make some God-awful noise every 2 mins for no particular reason >_<
It ought to be a punishable offence in my opinion, and a painful punishment at that.
I figured to myself, well, rather than sit up here getting aggravated I would go and have a drink in there. NOPE it’s a private party, no entry.

So,
Dear The Henry,

If you are going to ruin a very nice hotel by putting a disco/bar on the 2nd floor then NEVER ALLOW PRIVATE PARTIES IN THERE.

If you can’t beat ‘em join ‘em.
And if you can’t join ‘em, you may end up wanting to ‘beat’ them (with a stick).

On my final night there, there was quite a good blues band playing in the bar, and during the show I went back to my room to check the noise and it wasn’t so bad. The private party was particularly noisy and also insisted on particularly poor music (why am I hearing Ace of Base in 2013?) alongside copious amounts of moronic behavior.

Bottom line: if you have any doubts about how you feel about noise do not stay at this hotel. If you plan to be out every night, or never try and sleep early then it may be a very good choice for you as it is nice.

Oh and there is a pool out back which looked decent.

Room Tip: Even on the 5th floor you may still be able to hear the bar...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Mirro R, General Manager at The Henry Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

My heartfelt thanks for choosing our hotel to host your visit and for your valued review. Have noted your review re the unpleasant experience brought about by the loud music originating from Scrapyard bar. Please be assured that we are taking the necessary measures to address this specifically through sound proofing. Meantime, we look forward to your next visit. Thank you very much.

Mirro Reperuga
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I found and booked this hotel on www.agoda.com for a reasonable rate. Trust me, their restaurant is not worth the up-charge for an included breakfast. I can't speak for lunch or dinner there, but the breakfast was the worst I had in the Philippines. It wasn't terrible, it wast just barely mediocre.

The bed in my room was by far the most comfortable I slept on in the Philippines. I mean it was very comfortable and the linens were sparkling clean. The bathroom in my suite was also very nice (see pictures). I stayed in their "XL Room" and was very impressed with the exception of a couple little issues. And when I say little issues, they really were little. I only mention them because this hotel has the potential to be excellent but it kind of misses in my opinion. I would stay here again without hesitation but would love to see them step up and get everything right.

Small issues were a) no laundry list in the room, b) no spare toilet paper roll in the bathroom and c) no iron or ironing board in the room. Like I said, small issues but when I needed my clothes laundered I had to carry them down to the front desk where I was asked to fill out an inventory form. I complained and the clerk at the desk said she would have housekeeping do the inventory for me. My issue was that I would have to either go back to my room to sort the clothes or spread them out in the lobby. Putting a laundry list in the room would have solved that problem before it even started. Calling for an iron and ironing board was not a big deal, but it would not be a big deal to have those in the room for guests to use. A spare roll of toilet paper can be a real life saver when needed. Fortunately, I noticed it missing before it was an issue. lol

I had a great meal at a Yakiniku restaurant in the next parking lot (look it up if you don't know what a Yakiniku restaurant is), a very good pedicure at a salon next door to the hotel and a great massage at a Korean spa that was a 2 minute walk away. The hotel restaurant was barely mediocre but there are plenty of options nearby, including a Filipino bread and pastry stand across the street.

I would stay here again without hesitation. It's set up like a boutique hotel and they get most things right. The things they don't get right are minor.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the room type that I had - XL Room. I loved the room and bath - see the pics.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've stayed in hotels all over the world, and this is one of the best artistic boutique hotels I've ever been in - equaling the best in Chicago and San Francisco.

The rooms are huge with high ceilings - I would guess over 20 feet. Even the hallways are extra-wide, giving a sense of openness to the whole hotel.

The rooms have retro murals above the bed. Walking around the hotel is a pleasure because of the artwork and decorations.

Other reviewers complained of noise from the bar and bad WIFI. I requested a room away from the bar and with good signal, and received both. I've had no problems.

The one downside I found is the restaurant. I only ate breakfast there but it was way overpriced for poor quality. 350 Pesos got a single egg, ham, processed cheese, toast and fruit. But this is more than made up for by the restaurants around the hotel. The neighborhood of Banilad is the most upscale in Cebu. There are lots of really good restaurants, offering many local and international choices. I had one of the best Thai meals I've had outside Thailand just across the street and there are Italian, Filipino, Chinese and Korean restaurants nearby.

In the past I've stayed near the Ayala Mall, which has comparatively limited eating choices after you've been there a week or two. The Banilad neighborhood has much wider choices with better food at lower prices.

The outdoor pool is pleasant with a well-kept lawn around it.

The staff are warm and helpful. I made a few of special requests and all of them were attended to quickly and effectively.

I'm a regular visitor to Cebu, and this has become my new home here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was excited about staying at this hotel as the reviews were so good and I wasn't disappointed. This hotel was great. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the hotel itself had good facilities.

The room was large with a nice comfy bed and everything cleaned nicely. Some people have commented that you could hear music from the bar on the second floor but I couldn't hear anything, but I was up on the 5th floor, so perhaps that was why.

i thought the bar itself was pretty good too and the staff were very attentive and helpful.

The pool was nice and very quiet so was nice to lounge by and the staff at reception will provide towels.

I had breakfast at the restaurant and it wasn't bad. They weren't the biggest portions, but filled me up all the same. I guess I'm just a bit greedy and would have liked a bit more, but they do provide a huge pot of tea.

The hotel is about 10 mins car journey from the Ayala Centre which has some great restaurant options.

My only complaint would be that when the rooms were made up, they didn't put out more water, but I'm sure it would have come if I'd asked for it. Also the wifi connection wasn't great. If you need to do important work while in Cebu I probably wouldn't chose this hotel for that reason, however the receptionist did tell me they would soon be getting an upgrade.

All in all a very good stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent a night here and really loved the San Francisco loft vibe, the Asian minimalist bath, ecclectic decor in the rooms and in the public spaces, the comfort of the beds and luxury linens, and I even enjoyed the Germanic-inspired menu in the restaurant. I popped next door to the spa in my downtime for a massage. This was a great value compared to other decrepit properties in Cebu nearing the same price point - this place was really decadently nice compared to a place I stayed in Cebu only a week earlier that was very sketchy as far as cleanliness among other things, and not much more expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to The Henry Hotel? Share your experiences!