“Worth a Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Henry Hotel Cebu

You added The Henry Hotel Cebu to your Saves list
The Henry Hotel Cebu
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Ma Luisa Entrance Road | One Paseo Compound, Banilad, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Offers & Announcements
Easter Escape
Ranked #2 of 78 Hotels in Cebu City
Orlando, Florida
“Worth a Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

I found and booked this hotel on www.agoda.com for a reasonable rate. Trust me, their restaurant is not worth the up-charge for an included breakfast. I can't speak for lunch or dinner there, but the breakfast was the worst I had in the Philippines. It wasn't terrible, it wast just barely mediocre.

The bed in my room was by far the most comfortable I slept on in the Philippines. I mean it was very comfortable and the linens were sparkling clean. The bathroom in my suite was also very nice (see pictures). I stayed in their "XL Room" and was very impressed with the exception of a couple little issues. And when I say little issues, they really were little. I only mention them because this hotel has the potential to be excellent but it kind of misses in my opinion. I would stay here again without hesitation but would love to see them step up and get everything right.

Small issues were a) no laundry list in the room, b) no spare toilet paper roll in the bathroom and c) no iron or ironing board in the room. Like I said, small issues but when I needed my clothes laundered I had to carry them down to the front desk where I was asked to fill out an inventory form. I complained and the clerk at the desk said she would have housekeeping do the inventory for me. My issue was that I would have to either go back to my room to sort the clothes or spread them out in the lobby. Putting a laundry list in the room would have solved that problem before it even started. Calling for an iron and ironing board was not a big deal, but it would not be a big deal to have those in the room for guests to use. A spare roll of toilet paper can be a real life saver when needed. Fortunately, I noticed it missing before it was an issue. lol

I had a great meal at a Yakiniku restaurant in the next parking lot (look it up if you don't know what a Yakiniku restaurant is), a very good pedicure at a salon next door to the hotel and a great massage at a Korean spa that was a 2 minute walk away. The hotel restaurant was barely mediocre but there are plenty of options nearby, including a Filipino bread and pastry stand across the street.

I would stay here again without hesitation. It's set up like a boutique hotel and they get most things right. The things they don't get right are minor.

Room Tip: I can only speak for the room type that I had - XL Room. I loved the room and bath - see the pics.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Korean first
Cambridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've stayed in hotels all over the world, and this is one of the best artistic boutique hotels I've ever been in - equaling the best in Chicago and San Francisco.

The rooms are huge with high ceilings - I would guess over 20 feet. Even the hallways are extra-wide, giving a sense of openness to the whole hotel.

The rooms have retro murals above the bed. Walking around the hotel is a pleasure because of the artwork and decorations.

Other reviewers complained of noise from the bar and bad WIFI. I requested a room away from the bar and with good signal, and received both. I've had no problems.

The one downside I found is the restaurant. I only ate breakfast there but it was way overpriced for poor quality. 350 Pesos got a single egg, ham, processed cheese, toast and fruit. But this is more than made up for by the restaurants around the hotel. The neighborhood of Banilad is the most upscale in Cebu. There are lots of really good restaurants, offering many local and international choices. I had one of the best Thai meals I've had outside Thailand just across the street and there are Italian, Filipino, Chinese and Korean restaurants nearby.

In the past I've stayed near the Ayala Mall, which has comparatively limited eating choices after you've been there a week or two. The Banilad neighborhood has much wider choices with better food at lower prices.

The outdoor pool is pleasant with a well-kept lawn around it.

The staff are warm and helpful. I made a few of special requests and all of them were attended to quickly and effectively.

I'm a regular visitor to Cebu, and this has become my new home here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I was excited about staying at this hotel as the reviews were so good and I wasn't disappointed. This hotel was great. The staff were really friendly and helpful and the hotel itself had good facilities.

The room was large with a nice comfy bed and everything cleaned nicely. Some people have commented that you could hear music from the bar on the second floor but I couldn't hear anything, but I was up on the 5th floor, so perhaps that was why.

i thought the bar itself was pretty good too and the staff were very attentive and helpful.

The pool was nice and very quiet so was nice to lounge by and the staff at reception will provide towels.

I had breakfast at the restaurant and it wasn't bad. They weren't the biggest portions, but filled me up all the same. I guess I'm just a bit greedy and would have liked a bit more, but they do provide a huge pot of tea.

The hotel is about 10 mins car journey from the Ayala Centre which has some great restaurant options.

My only complaint would be that when the rooms were made up, they didn't put out more water, but I'm sure it would have come if I'd asked for it. Also the wifi connection wasn't great. If you need to do important work while in Cebu I probably wouldn't chose this hotel for that reason, however the receptionist did tell me they would soon be getting an upgrade.

All in all a very good stay

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I spent a night here and really loved the San Francisco loft vibe, the Asian minimalist bath, ecclectic decor in the rooms and in the public spaces, the comfort of the beds and luxury linens, and I even enjoyed the Germanic-inspired menu in the restaurant. I popped next door to the spa in my downtime for a massage. This was a great value compared to other decrepit properties in Cebu nearing the same price point - this place was really decadently nice compared to a place I stayed in Cebu only a week earlier that was very sketchy as far as cleanliness among other things, and not much more expensive.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

The service is awesome! Right down to the security staff! Clean, spacious and comfortable room. Awesome decor with plenty photo taking opportunities at every corner. Pleasantly surprised with the surroundings boutique cafes, spas outlets, Korean restaurants and nearby shopping outlets. Really great value for money! :)

• Stayed February 2013
Southern Finland, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in a XL room what was really spacious and modern but same time felt cold and empty with congrete finished sailing. No privacy on the shower and cr because no doors. Room did not include minibar was mentioned on the booking site i reserved room but upon my request i got a small refridgerator.

Next 7 nights i stayed in a standard room what i liked a lot more and really good value of money price under 2500 pesos/ night. Comfortable bed and quality liners.

Hotel pool was nicely kept,.cleaned up daily and there were few sun bathing beds also for resting. But only 2 tables just nearby hotel restaurants which were many times occupied. I really liked pool bar and took a daily pm. coffee and findador over there. What i maybe missed was music even silent mode?

Rica,.hotel restaurant is desingned stylish and the food was realy delicious. My friend from Australia complain chicken he ate as a raw and pizza not so tasty but i ate beef and salads and i loved it every single time. Breakfast is really so expensive 425pesos+ 10% service charge and only 4 different kind of ones available, BUFFEE,..i could understand that price but not a selection of basic breakfast plate with juice and coffee.

Scrapyard bar and lounge on the second floor,.ohh,..service is even too intensive, grew followed me what ever i did what felt to European some weird,.

Service , nothing to complain,.this hotel really wish you welcome and enjoy your stay even few problems appeared upon the time of check out , which was handled professional way and customer was happy having smile on his face again.

I will be back, hotel is new and nice, safe and clean.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Holland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

After a bad expierience on Mactan Island, we came in a heaven of courtesy. House of Cebu.
This is what you expect in Design hotels in the big cities of the world. And now also in Cebu.
All the rooms with an own caracter and paintings on the wall. A perfect swimming pool outside, a nice menu in the restaurant and the Scrabyard bar on the 2nd floor. We stayed there for four nights and promissed to come back after visiting Busuanga Coron Island. Coming home, is what we said when the management and staff welcomed us back for a last night. Go and see for your self. We loved it. Cees and Theo, Weert, Holland.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Henry Hotel Cebu? Share your experiences!