I stayed at the hotel for 14 nights in May this year (2013). I have rated this hotel as average in my overall rating simply because when compared to the many hotels of this standard in Cebu, this place just does not measure up and I left after 2 weeks feeling a bit disappointed.
OK why was I disappointed?
1) Rooms are still quite run down and dated and the standard of finish in my room was appalling for a hotel of this standard. (See my photos). A very outdated and very small TV in the room.
2) Prostitutes plying their trade in the hotel lobby area. I was approached a number of times as a single male guest staying alone. I know it is not easy for the management to stop as the hotel attracts a large crowd of non-guests who come to use the casino, restaurants, conference rooms and gymnasium.
3) Breakfast is buffet style and has something for even for the most picky eaters, it is very sumptuous. However if you are staying there for more than one or two days you realize that there are some problems. Fresh fruit is restricted to mango, pineapple, melon and papaya every morning and the mango often disappears quite quickly unless you get there early. Never once in 14 days did I see apples, grapes, strawberries or bananas and after a few days I was bored with the fruit selection. a complete lack of imagination by the catering manager.
4) On three occasions I had to complain about the oatmeal which had not been prepared correctly and was like water.
5) Although the breakfast is self service, you are shown to your seat and waiters will take orders for coffee, water etc. This service was not consistent, some mornings I had attentive service and other mornings I was left to fend for myself.
6) I soiled one of my room towels with blood (from a small nose bleed). Room service wanted to charge me 1900 pesos for cleaning the towel. That is around £30 or $43 and a complete rip off. I told room service to give me back the towel and I had it cleaned for 100 pesos in a local laundry.
7) The outdoor swimming pool is pleasant but the staff were a bit abrupt when I brought two guests to use the pool, telling me I was only entitled to bring one person. I was told I would have to pay for the third guest.
8) The gym is great with everything a serious gym goer could need but it gets very crowded in the evenings and weekends as it is also open to the general public.
One particular day the management (in their wisdom) decided to introduce a new system for taxis. Taxis were only allowed to drop off at reception by the main entrance but those wishing to take a taxi had to walk a considerable distance to the basement area where a new waiting station had been created for passengers. The problem was that this new system had not been very well advertised to the taxis or the hotel staff. On this particular day we had a torrential downpour creating a massive demand for taxis. I was told to wait in the basement and after 30 minutes of waiting and not seeing a taxi I returned to the lobby to see guests getting in and out of taxis like before. I complained to the doorman who just shrugged his shoulders and said "I am sorry sir"
The good points about this hotel is that the food is generally of a high standard, the room service is faultless and reception area and lobby are truly impressive. Facilities are generally good and both Ayalla and SM Malls are within walking for those who don't mind walking in the heat.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.