“Roof paintings amazing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino

Save Saved
You added Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salinas Drive, Lahug, Cebu City 6000, Philippines (Formerly Waterfront Cebu City Hotel)   |
Ranked #23 of 77 hotels in Cebu City
“Roof paintings amazing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at the Waterfront for business. The hotel room was a standard style room with tv, bed, desk table and table and chairs. We overlooked Cebu. No waterfront view though which it's name was a little misleading. The Foyer was magnificent. The staff were attentive to our needs. The pool was a nice place to relax. I liked it when the waterfall was on. They have a duty free shopping area, gym and a beauty salon. The business centre staff were helpful. Concierge weren't very helpful but the security guards were more helpful. Staff didnt have a great knowledge of the hotel and facilities as I asked one about the beauty salon and they didn't know. I asked the security they knew. The restaurants are fantastic probably the best thing about the hotel. The breakfast buffets were large and the staff extremely helpful always remembering what we liked. Victor in the breakfast area was fantastic he knew everything we liked and how we wanted things we never had to ask him for anything we were there for two weeks and he made us feel so welcomed. Towards the end the hostess at the front wouldn't let him take us to his section. Which I found rather rude. I know that she was just trying to share the tips around but the reason he got such large tips was because he was so good at his job.

• Stayed October 2012

414 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for 14 nights in May this year (2013). I have rated this hotel as average in my overall rating simply because when compared to the many hotels of this standard in Cebu, this place just does not measure up and I left after 2 weeks feeling a bit disappointed.

OK why was I disappointed?

1) Rooms are still quite run down and dated and the standard of finish in my room was appalling for a hotel of this standard. (See my photos). A very outdated and very small TV in the room.
2) Prostitutes plying their trade in the hotel lobby area. I was approached a number of times as a single male guest staying alone. I know it is not easy for the management to stop as the hotel attracts a large crowd of non-guests who come to use the casino, restaurants, conference rooms and gymnasium.
3) Breakfast is buffet style and has something for even for the most picky eaters, it is very sumptuous. However if you are staying there for more than one or two days you realize that there are some problems. Fresh fruit is restricted to mango, pineapple, melon and papaya every morning and the mango often disappears quite quickly unless you get there early. Never once in 14 days did I see apples, grapes, strawberries or bananas and after a few days I was bored with the fruit selection. a complete lack of imagination by the catering manager.
4) On three occasions I had to complain about the oatmeal which had not been prepared correctly and was like water.
5) Although the breakfast is self service, you are shown to your seat and waiters will take orders for coffee, water etc. This service was not consistent, some mornings I had attentive service and other mornings I was left to fend for myself.
6) I soiled one of my room towels with blood (from a small nose bleed). Room service wanted to charge me 1900 pesos for cleaning the towel. That is around £30 or $43 and a complete rip off. I told room service to give me back the towel and I had it cleaned for 100 pesos in a local laundry.
7) The outdoor swimming pool is pleasant but the staff were a bit abrupt when I brought two guests to use the pool, telling me I was only entitled to bring one person. I was told I would have to pay for the third guest.
8) The gym is great with everything a serious gym goer could need but it gets very crowded in the evenings and weekends as it is also open to the general public.

One particular day the management (in their wisdom) decided to introduce a new system for taxis. Taxis were only allowed to drop off at reception by the main entrance but those wishing to take a taxi had to walk a considerable distance to the basement area where a new waiting station had been created for passengers. The problem was that this new system had not been very well advertised to the taxis or the hotel staff. On this particular day we had a torrential downpour creating a massive demand for taxis. I was told to wait in the basement and after 30 minutes of waiting and not seeing a taxi I returned to the lobby to see guests getting in and out of taxis like before. I complained to the doorman who just shrugged his shoulders and said "I am sorry sir"

The good points about this hotel is that the food is generally of a high standard, the room service is faultless and reception area and lobby are truly impressive. Facilities are generally good and both Ayalla and SM Malls are within walking for those who don't mind walking in the heat.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Our second stay and were here this time 5 nights.

The hotel is very central. 5 minute taxi to Ayala shopping centre. 5 minute taxi to Crossroads where Cebu's best restaurants are located. Across the road from I.T. Park.Everything we needed was close by.

The renovation of the lobby is great.It seems more spacious. My only criticism there is not enough seats for people waiting in the lobby. They are dedicated to the lobby bar and seats there seem always to be empty.

We go for a deluxe room. Never anything but good.spacious, great bed, clean, tea/coffee facilities. In room safe. Really good rooms and not much more expensive than superior rooms.

The food outlets at this hotel are excellent.
The breakfast is great. Big buffet with a huge selection. Get a rate with breakfast included.
Gourmet alley we used a lot. Gondala for italian, Mizu for Japanese, madaleines for great coffee and cakes and slices.

The hotel and outlet staff are always excellent.
Professional, friendly and helpful.

This time I went upstairs and checked out the Casino. It was well patronized and people were enjoying themselves.

We will stay again on our next visit to Cebu. For us it is the only place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights, the hotel room is showing a bit of age they may consider renovation like what they did with the lobby, the location is definitely an advantage, it's close to IT Park no need to take a cab there's a lot of good restaurant there.

This time we brought my mom with us and since she's into slot machines she love the fact that she just need to go down to the Casino.

Overall, our stay is pleasant as always will definitely come back. :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
dauin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Been staying at the Waterfront for some years. Keep going back because it is a grand place in many ways. I'm not sure that the remodel of the lobby goes with the decor of the rest of the hotel(actually I really liked the old lobby a lot. It was truly grand) But the rooms, breakfast buffet, swimming pool and location are all great. All in all a good value for the money.

The one change that I really do not like is the Taxi policy of having to line up on the lower level, long walk that makes no sense and seems to discourage drivers from coming in for pick ups. Can be a considerable wait.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

The Waterfront Hotel&Casino in Lahug in Cebu is in my opinion one of the best hotels in Cebu and that is the reason why I am a returning customer.

I recently stayed there again for 3 weeks and I noticed that the refurbishing of the Lobby is now done, The Front desk is in a slightly different position, and the front desk staff seem to have gone to the 21st century with earpieces and microphones that put them in constant contact with whoever they need. The General Manager is mr Alfred Portenschlager, an Austrian, who can often be seen walking through the hotel and is fairly approachable if so wished.

Booking:
Though the Hotel can be booked directly via their website, or via one of the hotel websites (agoda etc), I made my booking quickly and conveniently directly with Mr. Santos from the sales department and managed to work out a long-stay deal that made both of us happy.

Getting there:
Most tourists will take a cab from the airport. When you ask 'Waterfront hotel, avoid confusion by adding 'Lahug' as there is also a Waterfront Hotel right outside the airport. I think the hotel has an airport pick up, if so arranged, but I am not sure of that.

Lobby:
A grand entrance. The doors are staffed by uniform clad women and or men that open the door. Inside the lobby there is a bar/eatery/coffee area and a taxfree shop, The Front desk is at the back of the lobby. In the lobby is also a desk for Alamo car rental.

Check-in:
Swift, apart from an initial confusion about the booking everything was handled swiftly.

Staff:
Very friendly. I was pleasantly surprised that after one or two days the staff knew my name. Whether they know that with every guest or maybe just because i was notorious I do not know

Room:
I had a Deluxe room which is very comfortable. It has a big double bed. Don't know if it is king size or queen size but it is a big comfortable bed with space enough for two. The beds in the Waterfront hotel have a reputation for being comfortable and also this bed was not a disappointment. It is the kind off bed that you can just lie down on and doze off.

Furniture:
A desk and a round table and 3 chairs. 2 side tables, 2 low standing lamps and one long standing lamp.
The socket of the long standing lamp is switched from a switch in the hallway.
There is a closet with a safe

TV:
Sizeable TV with plenty of channels

Mini bar/amenities:
Stocked with soft drinks and water. There are also snacks and coffee/thee making facilities. To be honest, the prices of the minibar and the snacks are too high, especially with a supermarket at ayala a short ride away

aircon:
In my experience the aircon in the Waterfront is good, feels fresh is not noisy and does not have a bad smell. Also this time I was not let down albeit that sometimes it took a bit longer than I was used to to cool down the room but still within acceptable limits

Mall shuttle
The hotel has a free shuttle service to the close by Ayala mall and the somewhat further away SM mall. I believe it goes 3 times a day, starting at 10-ish

Breakfast
The breakfast is served in the Cafe Uno in the hotel. It is a huge buffet breakfast that has something for everyone. There is a choice of Filipino foods, but one can also have a salad, cold cuts, omelets made on the spot, European bread (Thank god, not the sweet-ish american imitation bread), fruits, cereals. Noteworthy is the section with sweets, such as (chocolate) donuts, danish and other goodies.
The Cafe Uno as the other restaurants are under the supervision of F&B manager Alistair Grainger and he can be seen almost daily inspecting the setup and no doubt sampling the quality.

Restaurants
From the lobby to the Casino on ground floor there is a hallway known as 'Gourmet walk' that has a number of restaurants on either side. I have only tried the Italian one (will be subject to a separate review), but there is e.g. also a japanese restaurant.

Room service
Room service is efficient and not that expensive. I predominantly dealt with Miss Hazel and she is friendly and efficient. After placing an order she will call a few minutes before the waiter arrives and she will call later to ask if the waiter can pick up the dishes. If you pay by cash take into account that the waiter will not have change so he will have to disturb you again while you eat to bring your change.

Bringing in Food
In an other review it was mentioned that the hotel does not allow bringing in food from the outside. That is incorrect. One can basically bring in all the food and drinks one likes. The hotel does like you to sign a 'food waiver' that as i understood is to protect the hotel from liability if a guest would get sick from food brought in. The waiver policy however is not strictly implemented and therefore its use can be doubted and frankly it is a bit of a bother. I'd say get rid of it
Sales manager Joseph Santos informed me that only in exceptional circumstances the hotel may question bringing in food (e.g. if the amounts would far exceed what can considered 'personal use')

Prostitution
Like any hotel in the world, the Waterfront is confronted with prostitutes, either ones that are brought in by guests and ones that sollicit at the hotel. Frankly, in all my stays, I never really was bothered by any (presumed) prostitute. The only obvious sollicitation I witnessed was from some lady-boys hanging around at night at the Gourmet walk leading to the casino
The hotel requires prostitutes to register with double ID. Problem is that prostitutes do not carry a sign identifying them as such, so the lobby security is keen on stopping any girl/woman that 'looks like a prostitute'.
In my experience the staff is a bit overzeleous in that. My wife was repeatedly stopped and at one time me, her and another couple were already in the elevator when security stopped the elevator to question us. The woman from the other couple -who really did not look trashy at all- presented her keycard and I repeatedly!!!!! had to tell the guard that she was my wife and NOT a prostitute.
In a conversation I had with sales manager Santos. he explained the double edged sword the hotel is faced with. At the one hand the guest's freedom to bring in a guest, be she a prostitute or not, but at the other hand the security risc some prostitutes present by e.g. drugging and robbing guests in which case the hotel will be involved. Though i can see his point, I can imagine that a woman guest who is in fact paying for her room like any other, and who is stopped going in the elevator in fact will be pretty insulted. It is also ridiculous that I have to REPEATEDLY state my wife is NOT a prostitute before security lets us go to our room. One time should really be enough. I do understand the hotel's position, but maybe a bit better instruction of the security staff is in order.

Shops:
other than the taxfree shop in the lobby, there are some shops as well on the 2nd floor. One of them being a L'Huillier pawnshop that also will send money.

Pool:
The hotel has a rather big pool. It is divided in an area for kids or lets say an undeep area and a deeper area. The Pool is situated in a lovely garden and can be reached via the elevator on the LL level. There are life guards available and there is a bar that upon signing in also provides towels, so you do not need to bring any from your room. Note that the pool requires a regular swimming outfit and does not allow the 'preferred' outfit for many filipina's being cutt-off jeans and t-shirt.

Gym:
I have no experience with the hotelgym other than passing it on my way to the pool. It seems like a rather well equipped gym with plenty of apparatuses.

Taxi's
On prior visits to the hotel, taxi's would be readily available on the lobby level. This time however there was a taxi stand on the lower level that can either be reached from the elevators (LL level) or from the lobby by the staircase.

Surroundings:
The hotel is a stones throw away from IT park that has plenty of food outlets and other shops, including a pharmacy. The easiest way to go to IT park is to walk through 'Gourmet alley' and to go down the staircase at the end. From there it is a 5 min walk.
The hotel is only a short taxi or shuttle ride away from Ayala mall (taxi will cost 50.5 to 80 peso depending on traffic)

General
I understand the hotel is 15 years old (I presumed it to be a bit older) and that is considered 'old' in the Hotel business, yet it is a clean and very comfortable hotel.
The furniture in the Deluxe rooms is a bit 'dated'. With that I don't mean it is broken or anything, just a bit 'old' in style. On the 5th floor close to the 'old casino' there are suites that have a more modern ambiance (think chrome, stainless steal, glass)

Room Tip: I have always had a good room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Had arrived for one night business stay only and stay was decent. Rooms clean (showing a bit of age) and big, fully loaded. At dinner have noticed a lot of Korean people and later as well during tour of casino. Reminds me of US hotels with casinos.....large halls, a lot of neon lights.....but than again room was peaceful.

Room Tip: nothing special, all mostly the same....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!