“They renovated the hotel but forgot the bathrooms.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino

You added Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino to your Saves list
Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Salinas Drive, Lahug, Cebu City 6000, Philippines (Formerly Waterfront Cebu City Hotel)   |
Ranked #16 of 78 Hotels in Cebu City
Makati, Philippines
“They renovated the hotel but forgot the bathrooms.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

As captain of my golf team I got to choose our hotel in Cebu. And since most of us had to stay for the whole week of the tournament, I tried to choose a good one from the standpoint of comfort, food (breakfast) quality and service in that order. I heard from a friend that the Waterfront had been recently renovated and that they had three other restaurants aside from their coffee shop offering Italian, Japanese and Chinese cuisine.

Their lobby is impressive. Large and spacious, its high ceilings are painted with old world maps of all the continents. The main lobby area is occupied with many tables generously spaced apart from each other where guests can entertain themselves and their visitors with coffee, wine or even meals if they choose.

The first disappointment came when I entered my deluxe room. The bed was large and looked comfortable, the room was of adequate size but I was shocked by the tiny bathroom. One look at the minuscule looking shower/tub with its rather high clearance from the bathroom floor had me seeing visions of a bad accident from a fall.

A call to the front desk asking for an upgrade fell on deaf ears so I resorted to asking a friend who had a friend in management to help me out. I hate asking for favors but the fear of slipping and hurting myself compelled me to do so. My request was promptly granted and I was upgraded to a junior suite in the smoking (ugh) section of the hotel. Naturally the room was much larger. It had a sitting room that was separated from the bedroom by a folding door. The bathroom was much larger - it had a full sized tub and a separate shower stall that didn't require any fancy footwork to get in and out of. But it was tiny! I couldn't bend over to soap my legs without my elbows or butt bumping the wall and I'm of average build. I had to wonder how much more difficult things would be for larger men or women. The fixtures were old and it was difficult getting the mix of cold and hot water right.

One final comment about comfort: the air conditioning controls didn't work properly. There seemed to be only one fan speed regardless which setting I chose.

On the bright side, they had a very good spread for breakfast. All the servers were polite and eager to please. Despite the presence of large tour groups everyone was seated and served promptly and efficiently with the ever present and genuine smile that characterizes Filipinos in the service industries. And as soon as any of the food serving trays went empty there was someone who was on it quickly enough (are you reading this Seda Hotel?).

We also tried the Japanese restaurant and the food quality, while not outstanding, was good.

Bottom line, I would go back to the Waterfront but not to stay. I'd go back for their breakfast. Unless of course they decide to renovate their bathrooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Location is an important consideration for me when selecting hotels. I would like to stay in a hotel where I could walk to restaurants. This is not the case for this hotel. And for that I remove one star in my rating.

Other than this, everything else is great with this hotel. The lobby is really grand and beautiful. It obviously looked like it's been recently updated.

Service was great. Like many big hotels in the Philippines, everyone is eager to provide service and help.

The rooms are decent. I say this because the opulence of the lobby does not seem to match the rooms. I think they have yet to update the rooms. They look a little bit dated but nonetheless very clean, so it was not an issue for me.

Recommended!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rosarito, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I've stayed here a few times. Great business center, amenities, and activities on site. I only have one serious complaint this time. The air quality in the room and hallway was so stuffy and stale I was tempted to break open the bolted window. It was so bad I started to feel sick to the point I changed hotels, and I'm not a fussy person. Too bad. I like the place, otherwise.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

this is a BIG hotel. the price is not as grand as it is. that makes it excellent place to stay. I accidentally left a shopping bag at one of the taxis lining up by the hotel entrance and i immediately left the trouble of locating the taxi driver and the left baggage with the hotel security. The hotel security led by Elmer took care of tracing the taxi and eventually i got back my shopping bag. Elmer even took the effort of contacting me even if i already checked out of the hotel and he facilitated the return of the shopping bag to me.

Room Tip: chose the rooms with mountain view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Red Wing, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Was picked up at airport by hotel. Very nice driver.. got to hotel and was led into hotel by a very nice door-man(it was 1:30 am).. check in was fast . the next morning had a fabulous breakfast.stayed11 days and every day was a joy.. great breakfast buffet and staff very friendly .. will return...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

This hotel has fantastic service with a newly redecorated lobby, a nice full course breakfast buffet and reliable enough wifi service. I love their gym facilities and pool so I often stay here when visiting Cebu for the convenient location. I agree about the comments about the crazy taxi system. I watched the Manny Pacquiao fight here once it made for quite the atmosphere being in the philippines seeing him fight on the casino big screen tv.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Guri, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

C1 ( 2009 )
there is a big size hotel with good facility ( lobby, restaurant, pool, casino ). very large scale hotel, no problem. but I reject entering casino because I wear round t-shirt, short pants, slippers. Service, food, facility is good, I think.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Waterfront Cebu City Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!