“Great hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 75 hotels in Cebu City
Australia
“Great hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

This was my first time staying at a luxury hotel and I must say it will be hard for me to go back to more modest lodgings! First thing I noticed about the Marriott are the security measures: all vehicles must enter a gate and is thoroughly inspected by guards. This is because the Marriott is a terrorist target in this part of the world. However at no time did I ever feel unsafe during my stay. Kudos to the security staff.

Rooms are spacious and stylishly furnished as one would expect. The bed I had was firm but quite comfortable. The desk chair was so nice I wanted one of my own. There are also the standard amenities: cable tv, broadband internet (for which you must pay...thumbs down for this...should be free considering the room rates). Speaking of which, my room was quoted at USD$90 but with added VAT, service charge and 'local tax' you'll end up paying close to USD$115.

The restaurant there is quite nice. The food and service are what I expected from a four star hotel. When I stayed in Jan. 2010 there is a seafood buffet every Friday and Saturday nights that is well worth the price (999 PHP). I had no complaints regarding wait staff or any other hotel employees during my stay.

Overall I would recommend this hotel and would definitely stay there again while in Cebu City.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

490 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for four nights from 26th December and here are my feedback:-

Brilliant:
We arrived at 4:30am and were given our room immediately. Location of hotel right next to a very nice shopping mall. Great hotel security. The beers are very cheap. We were very happy with the helpfulness and friendliness of staff at the restaurant and especially the concierge and door men etc.

Good:
The dinner buffet represents exceptional value for money. Clean bathroom. Entertainment in the evening. The price of room with two double beds suits our budget. We liked the pizzas (a la carte) at the restaurant.

Average:
The quality of food at the buffet.

Poor:
The juice provided at buffet breakfast is horrible. Insuffficient provision of shampoo, bath towels etc. The safe is very small, not big enough to store a laptop. Location is not ideal if you want to go to the beach everyday. It takes about 20mins to half an hour in a taxi to go to one of the piers in Mactan island for island hopping outing.

Very Poor:
Smelly / old duvet and pillows. The covers for the duvets were old and rough. However, they changed them immediately upon request. I didn't like the look of the pool and didn't use it at all. The bathroom in the gym badly needs renovation.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Darwin NT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2009

Stayed here with young children, and the hotel staff were very polite, helpful and couldn't be more willing to help in any way possible.
LIKES:
Room was a Executive suite, with a separate living area for the children to stay in, comfortable and spacious.
Breakfast was a treat, amazing array of food, from filipino to American style (cater for all preferences of food) fresh fruits were a delight. sweet Ormoc Pineapple, mangoes, watermelon etc.
Security is to high standard, and was always on top of things.
Not being harassed for money from street kids, beggars etc when you leave the hotel.
Great entertainment each night, nice seafood buffet, live seafood, cooked to your liking.
Ayala mall, and food terraces open till late. WOnderful array of choices.

DISLIKES:
Being given the privilege of having an executive access, as the breakfast was not nice on the 12th floor comparison to the main breakfast Garden, was not advised that the breakfast would be charged if we ate at the Garden Cafe, ! !
Until i seen the bill, but the Manager was kind enough to revert all charges made and credit us for all breakfast eaten there for the last 9 days.
Thanking you kindly.. That saved us a few dollars.
Breakfast is not complimentary down stairs in the Garden Cafe until advised other wise, when having executive access.
We did not take our cocktail/beer hour, so this was amended, and adjusted to our bill for brekky.

Thank you to the staff at the Marriot, we had a wonderful stay, and i will be coming back to Cebu again, for the meantime, Marriot will be my second home whilst i visit Cebu.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Delhi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2009

Cebu was my first International trip. Marriott is located right behind the Ayala Shopping mall which is one of the 2 biggest malls in Cebu. The staff is very friendly and rooms are spacious. They have live music and piano play at the Lobby in the evening and sitting there enjoying the music with the drink in the open bar there is a memorable experience. The security at the hotel is worth appreciating and they leave no room for any compromise

• Liked — Its Location right next to the mall
  • Disliked — Does not have many restaurants
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Great Falls, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2009

Great hotel. Stayed their twice in the past 14 months. Stayed there in Aug 08 and Nov 09. Didn't even bother looking at other hotels, as I was really impressed even before the remodel was completed. Staff is great, restaurant is great. Only complaint from me is it is time the change the mattresses in the rooms as they seems to be worn out and dip in the middle. A bit uncomfortable. Other than that, I have no complaints. I'll stay there again when we travel back to Cebu City from the USA.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

Staff so friendly and helpful. Food great. Swimming pool, evening BBQ and live music .... fantastic! Room very comfortable, large and clean. Choice of bed types.

The only disadvantage is distance from the airport - about 25 minutes by taxi. Not really a problem.

The Marriott is indeed the #1 hotel in Cebu. I was so impressed and really enjoyed my 8 day stay here. The staff are so friendly and helpful. Food great and reasonable priced for a luxury hotel. Swimming pool, evening BBQ and live music .... fantastic! Room very comfortable, large and clean. Next door to the upmarket Ayala Mall whivh boasts excellent shopping and a wide variety of good restaurants. I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel !!

Travel tip : Excellent girl vocal band "Femme Aura" play here at the poolside stage in the evenings - dont miss!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Seoul South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Ok I missed my flight back to Korea and got stuck in Cebu for two days (i was staying on a small island near there to avoid the crowds). I am so happy I did get stuck, I had no desier to go around Cebu I don't like the constant pressure to spend money as a tourist in the Philippines. I also had just came from budget hotels and an island that had electricity half the time so I decide to splurge on the Marriott and feel like I was home (I am from USA but live in Korea) I wasn't sure if I was going to like it because I had read mixed reviews on Trip advisor before I left for Cebu...But i took a chance .
This is one of the nicest Marriotts I have ever stayed in, I stay at Marriott all the time when I splurge because of reward points. The price was only 100 USD a night, super super cheap for a 4 star. I had a king regular room and it was great, the bed was so comfortable, the room was spacious, I didn't even leave the hotel for two days because I was so happy. They have great food (get the hotdog from room service or at the pool its awesome!) great service and amenities you would expect at any Marriott.
The pool is pretty nice, the chairs are great, very nice decor in the whole hotel.
The breakfast buffet is awesome, about 17 USD but amazing, all sorts of food, sushi, American breakfast, Filipino breakfast, fruits and cheeses, I can't even explain how many different delicious things you could get.
Same for the dinner buffet, you can pick between an indoor one with lots of yummy dishes or outdoor with BBQ style food, about 20USD.
Mix drinks were alright, I drink martini's so you really can't mess that up, my friend had a fruity drink and it was low on the alcohol so stick with wine and beer if you are trying to get a buzz.
In room massage is great, TV has plenty of channels, overall I would recommend this place to anyone and go back to the Philippines just to stay there (and I really don't like the Philippines, Thailand is so much better)

Oh yea they have a bar area, lounge area and out door bar, at night they have live music and its very nice and romantic

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Cebu City Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!