“Proximity to amenity” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 82 Hotels in Cebu City
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Proximity to amenity”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

The hotel is a bit small and the drop off area is quite odd and limited. Seems a lack of organisation there in the lobby area. But it's just next door to Ayala mall which has lots of eateries and choices.

Breakfast at the hotel is good. And staff kept checking on you all the time. The smoothies- heaven! Room is good size and bed is comfy as per Marriott standard. At your service and prompt and sincere. Definitely a good place to stay in Cebu.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Junnel R

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Its our 2nd night here for the summit. Employees are really accomodating, Place so clean, im at rm 515 and it feels like im not a local here, they treat everybody equal, really accomodating. Even the Supervisor did attend my personal needs.. 5 star for that. Looking forward to stay at this fantastic hotel, Marriot Cebu with my family next time, Im sure theyll love this place as well..

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank JOVINZ
Seoul
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

The staff at this Marriott are well trained and friendly. The breakfast is great, and the public areas are well maintained. The side door exit across the lawn from Ayala makes it one of the best located hotels.
However, the rooms are small and musty and greet you with a stale odour upon entrance. The bathrooms are similarly small and dysfunctional.
Also, the reservation system is typical of Marriott and full of glitches. I've never had a Marriott check-in that didn't get something wrong. This time, I was told that breakfast was not included and literally had to argue that I had booked a breakfast-inclusive package. No apologies were offered, and I had the same discussion in the restaurant and later, upon check out. Also, I was charged in US dollars at the inflated hotel rate upon check out. When I protested this, they again charged me in US dollars (my phone sends me details of charges and currency information immediately). I asked for a PHP charge, and they told me it had been charged in US dollars, which was clearly untrue. This increased the already over-priced room rates.
Next time in Cebu, I'll choose a newer hotel with a functional reservation system.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been staying in this hotel for many years everytime I am in Cebu, but I noticed that they have been laxed in maintaining the standard that you can expect from Marriott hotels worldwide. Because I was tired coming from a long haul flight, I decided to dine in. The presentation of the food when it arrived was 'messy', But worst, the chicken was uncooked. I told the waiter about this and he asked me if I want my food replaced. I declined because of tiredness, I really prefered to go sleep, however, I told him to inform the chef about it.
That information should have been taken seriously, and the least the management could have done is a note or a call to apologise. This is complacency, or are they content to sit on their laurels, having enjoyed their reputation as one of the best hotels in this city? Beware!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I stayed here five nights after two weeks of traveling around the southern parts of the Philippines. Typically, the longer I stay somewhere, the less I like it - but this hotel, I never wanted to leave!

I believe this was my third stay here, as we stay here every few years when we come to Cebu, although this one definitely stood out. The hotel staff was more then accommodating, and spoke pristine English (which typically isn't a problem in the Philippines, although I ran into a problem in Hong Kong). The hotel sits right next to Ayala shopping center, which is a very nice, and large shopping enter. Also, we were greeted with a fruit plate as we arrived and towards the end of our stay, the hotel held a sort of "meet the manager" type of party (which was wonderful! Complementary and delicious food and drinks! Also, the manager was very nice and very interested in the wellbeing of the guest). Also, our room allowed us onto the concierge floor - which one aspect that really stood out for me. The complementary foods that were offered up there nearly 24/7 were always up to some very obvious high standards (which included sushi, sandwiches, and a halo halo bar!). I have to say, I spent most of my down time up here. We also had complimentary breakfast downstairs, which I think was my hands down favorite part. The hotel does not skimp on anything, the international breakfast buffet includes anything from sushi, to waffles, to mango shakes! (As you can see, a lot of our stay revolved around food!)

The room was always clean and the bathroom was very nice, and I think I should include that the shower was wonderful! It was a rain shower and was one of the best amenities of the room. The room also included very nice views of Ayala and the field in between the two and unique lighting (The headboard lit up!). There is 24/7 security in the front and back entrances of the hotel which is great, but may also be seen as an inconvenience to impatient guests. Although, the security team members are very relaxed and friendly, often remembering you, and you can get through security rather quickly. I also forgot a bag (which had some money and candies inside), and the security team returned it to me as I came downstairs a little later that day (I hadn't even realized that I had lost it yet)!

Overall, I was very satisfied with our stay and look forward to staying there again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is the 2nd time at Marriott Cebu, nice area, , nice rooms for 2/3 days ideal, so near of the Mail next door ,where you find super restaurants and great SHOPPING CENTRE the food at the hotel first visit was superior.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank alberto750
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Nothing beats the location of Marriott hotel, Cebu. It's close to the business centers, and of course, next to a popular shopping mall. What makes me incredibly happy, though, is the quality of service I received from the staff. They definitely go out of their way to make sure your needs are met. I stayed here during Sinulog, and getting a taxi was very difficult--and I was on my way to the airport. The staff really tried to flag down so many taxis--and some even offered to drive me personally (we couldn't find a car though!).

The food is also good--wonderful breakfast buffet! The rooms are a bit old and tired, but they're nonetheless very well-kept and clean. The beds were incredibly comfortable. I'd be happy to stay in Marriott again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Mandarin Plaza Hotel
Mandarin Plaza Hotel
#15 of 82 in Cebu City
4.0 of 5 stars 357 reviews

Been to Cebu City Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!