“A landmark in cebu” 3 of 5 stars

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“A landmark in cebu”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

This bridge connects the city of cebu from other areas. It is quite long. minimal traffic when we were there. Taxi drivers are quite friendly but their rates vary. you can haggle with them for a reasonable price.

Visited February 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bunbury, Australia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“interesting but very more useful than an attraction”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Main bridge between Cebu Island and Mactan Island and the airport. Nice bridge, but I wouldn't go out of my way just to see it.

Visited February 2013
Lapu-Lapu City
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Be Careful When Crossing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

This place is best viewed from a boat or sitting at the Cebu Yacht Club sipping a cold San Mig. There are too many idiotic jeepney drivers, motorcycle & bicycle riders and pedestrians crossing the bridge all the time to make it a safe place for a person to take pictures or otherwise enjoy as a tourist attraction.

Visited January 2013
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Marcelo Fernan a name to be reckoned with ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

One of the modern day heroes of Cebu is Marcelo Fernan.
This bridge was named after him because he contributed a lot
to modern day Philippine Justice System. Cebuanos are very proud of him because he showcased the resilience and perseverance of a true Cebuano. It is worth looking up and Google the name.

The Marcelo Fernan Bridge connect Cebu City, Mandaue City
to the nearby Mactan Island and vice-versa. So if you took a plane coming to Cebu, this span of a bridge will bring you to
Metro Cebu and Mandaue City and other gorgeous and scenic
places in Cebu Province.

There was an alternate bridge but I forgot its name.
this other bridge was the only bridge many many decades ago that connected Cebu and the fun-filled Mactan Island. There use to be barges half a century ago that brought people to and from these islands. I believe the barges still operate somewhere below these bridges but are not as popular now.

Visited February 2012
Mactan Island, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

As a resident of Mactan Island, I find this bridge a necessity. The flow of traffic, depending on the time of day or whether it's a weekend or a holiday, could be smooth or heavy.

We share the bridge with a number of motorists in private vehicles or in public utility jeepneys or mammoth vehicles like dumptrucks and other carriers of heavy equipment. Commuters in motorbikes seem to increase as days go by.

It seems most of us practice defensive driving as I seldom see accidents on the bridge; altho I have seen some vehicles turn upside down. Maybe they drove too fast, or one of them was under the influence of alcohol, or maybe drugs.

At night, we drive extra carefully because the winds could be strong, and there's a portion on the bridge where the wind is stronger. Some drivers want to save 5 seconds of driving and they crisscross the bridge and put other motorists at risk. Sigh.

The road on the foot of the bridge leading to Mandaue City has just been cemented, so potholes and dust are a thing in the past. But that's just a portion of a whole UN Avenue stretch, we do not know when the next construction phase would begin, but a degree of inconvenience comes with progress-- traffic becomes horrendous, tempers run high, CITOM (the local police and traffic enforcers) become more authoritative. You just need to have a good, calm head on your shoulders to avoid random acts of violence against other drivers.

I love watching big passenger ships pass on the channel, below the bridge. I get that chance only when I am a passenger instead of the one driving my vehicle. There is really truth in the adage "keep your eyes on the road!" Or is it "Keep your eyes on the BALL?" Either way works for me.

I shake my head when I have balikbayans with me, they tend to complain more, they tend to incessantly compare driving ethics between the countries they're either residents now or were visitors of. I just let them be, expressing of opinions is free in this country, but if I personally think driving here is a matter of getting used to. I've driven outside the Philippines, too, and I knew I needed to enroll in the local driving school just so I could drive "Philippine Style."

The Marcelo Fernan Bridge, like many reviewers mentioned, is just a bridge. To us, Mactan residents, this is THE Bridge. It is the bridge that was built to ensure we are not stranded on the island like what happened when a very strong storm hit Cebu a few years ago and totally destroyed the one and only bridge then, the one we now fondly call the "Old Bridge."

Come to think of it, we are not only the ones the alternate bridge was built for, it was built because the airport of the province is in Mactan Island, so this bridge is really a bridge of the people. When a bridge becomes that important, it is no longer JUST A BRIDGE. It becomes a necessity.

Congratulations to those who built it, and thank you, Japan, for continuing to partner with our country in the improvement of our roads and bridges.

So this, TripAdvisor, is my first-hand experience of the Marcelo Fernan Bridge.

Visited December 2012