“Good location but services need to be improved” 3 of 5 stars

Quest Cebu
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Archbishop Reyes Avenue, Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #26 of 73 hotels in Cebu City
Manila, Philippines
“Good location but services need to be improved”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Chose this hotel for an overnight business trip for my husband as it's supposed to be right across Ayala Center. However, the walk across the public terminal to get to the mall is really oppressive, crossing the street right where the flyover drops off means you will need to navigate through high speed traffic. Once you cross over to the other side, you encounter pedestrian traffic and the fumes from the PUVs at the public terminal. This was not at all pleasant, so my solution for the following day was to wait for the hotel shuttle to take me 5 minutes across to the mall. Unfortunately, there are only 3 or 4 schedules for the entire day (as it's the same van that services their Mactan property) which makes this impracticable. They really should have a dedicated shuttle offering more frequent service if they mean to cater to the guests who are there for convenient access to Ayala Center.
The good points for me are as follows. When Quest acquired this property (I'm not sure what it was previously), they seemed to have put in some capital to furnish it with good beds (nicely firm and well-lined, quality linen, even bathroom fixtures (grohe, hcg) and finishings, etc. Even the bathroom toiletries were mostly of acceptable quality for a business hotel (except the towels were thin and not generous) if rather spartan ("conditioning" shampoo with no proper separate conditioner, no lotion, etc. though the toilet paper was of good quality--something I always gauge a hotel by!) The breakfast buffet was also of commendable value considering it was included in the room price. The spread was not big but the quality for me was satisfactory. It consisted of a small congee station, the usual breakfast fare (bacon, chipolata, french toast, the local dried fish delicacy), some hot items on chafing dishes, but also an egg station, a sizable selection of breads, muffins, danishes, cereals, a few cheeses and nuts and a section for fruit, fresh juices and yogurts (looked like they were made in-house and came in about 4 flavors which I all loved! this was my fave part of this spread). If only for the yogurt, I may consider staying again. The wi-fi was also good during our stay.
That said, there is much room for improvement particularly with housekeeping that I encountered during my stay. Cleanliness-wise, I would rate it 3 out of 5. At first glance, it looks clean enough. The devil is in the details. There was one hair near the trash bin under the writing table and another on the far side of the water closet closest to the wall. The grouting on the sink is stained although cleaned. When I tried to make tea, the inside of one of the tea bags had dust on the crease (obviously from being recycled there for a while), but the other bag was fine. There were only 2 very small complimentary bottles of water. There was no water (free or otherwise) in the mini bar so when I wanted to make tea that night, I called housekeeping to ask for water. This took 3 follow up calls and about 45 minutes. The room that we stayed in also had a grounded light bulb which we only noticed after all the lights were out. That meant it blinked all night even though switched off and we were just too tired to try to call maintenance at that time after the frustrating time asking for simple water for tea. The most problematic issue was the noise level coming from both outside the hotel and from the hallways. Walls were thin and I could hear the comings and goings of nearby rooms till about 3am and as early as 5am (fortunately, I was the only light sleeper while my husband slept through). The noise coming from outside was also loud (it's in the center of town afterall) but was exacerbated by the cracks on the service window (although this was locked) where they installed the outdoor unit of the split type a/c. They could put a double panelling here if they wanted to address this.
Overall, the service at front desk was very good and the staff were helpful bu there are major things this hotel can improve on before I would consider another stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a quieter room, if at all possible.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Cebu, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear have4wannatravel,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. We sincerely regret that you encountered some problems during your stay at our hotel. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience that you may have experienced during your stay.

Please be assured that the safety and security of our valued guests is always our main concern and we are giving this our utmost attention. We have already coordinated with the government agencies concerned for the provisions of pedestrian facilities to solve all this safety concerns. However, until the construction of the foot bridge is done we are highly encouraging our guests to use the pedestrian lane located few meters away from Quest Hotel.

We are cognizant of your concern regarding the mall shuttle service. We will study how we could modify or improve it.

As for our Housekeeping response time, rest assured that we have discussed this with our team, and appropriate action will be taken to improve further the quality of our service.

We are very grateful that despite the disappointments you still find many aspects of our hotel satisfactory.

Thank you once again and we hope to be given another chance to serve you better in the near future.

429 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We stayed in this hotel overnight in Cebu City before going to the Shangri La. We used the Quest as a base to visit the (few) historical attractions, the fort, Jesuit house, Yap Sandiago house and Casa Gororda. The historical sights are just a short taxi ride away from the hotel, and definitely worth doing to get an insight in to the local culture before stepping it to the bubble of a beach resort.

The hotel has only been open for one year so it has not yet had the wear and tear. It's a modern, very clean and comfortable business style hotel. The staff were efficient and friendly, the wifi in the room was fast and easy to connect to. The room was very clean, and a decent size, with all modern amenities which made for a comfortable stay.

The breakfast buffet spread was good, international and catered for the locals, and surprisingly good western food too (for the Philippines!).

Given the low cost of this hotel, I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality, service and amenities in this hotel. I would definitely recommend staying here if you are looking for a place to stay in Cebu city.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Cebu, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Myholidays1,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. We are very happy to know that your experience here was enjoyable and we accomplished our goal in taking good care of you.

Quest Hotel and Conference Center is located right across one of the city's premier shopping malls, and with direct access to Cebu's business district, tourist attractions and trendy night spots. We agree wholeheartedly that we are a great value hotel with the modern feel.

Our Puso' Bistro and Bar, our all dining restaurant offers International cuisine for the most discriminating diners.

Once again, thank you for giving us the chance to be of service to you. We look forward to having you back at the hotel again soon.

Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

GOODS
Weiman from Reception was very helpful and accommodating
King size bed was comfortable

BADS
Able to hear the tv from next door
Noisy street
Internet was very slow
Small bathroom
Buffet breakfast does not offer any bacon and croissants were not fresh

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Cebu, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear TraceyN,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments about your recent stay with us. We appreciate your kind comments most especially on the friendliness of our staff.

We also regret the fact that you encountered some problems during your stay. Rest assured that we have discussed this with the concerned departments for immediate action.

We shall be very grateful if you will give us another chance to serve you again.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This has been our 6th stay at this hotel so time to write a more accurate review than my previous "first impressions" review.

Despite my reservations being paid in advance upon check-in Quest demand a (cash) PHP1,000.00 deposit for each night of one's stay, at other hotels I have experienced this enables one to sign off food & drinks to one's room and is normally optional, we don't dine nor drink in Quest's overpriced restaurant, we don't want to sign anything off to our room but still Quest demand PHP1,000.00 for each night.

Our previous stays at Quest have gone without incident however, this time, it is apparent that standards are dropping.

Upon check-in we were allocated a corner room which have, quite literally, two walls of entire floor to ceiling windows and one is looking straight down from, perhaps, the 25th floor, having a serious phobia of heights they needed to re-room me but, despite us checking-in during the afternoon, no other rooms were immediately made up and available, explaining to the staff that it was OK to allocate to us an unmade up room, that we just needed somewhere to secure our bags before going out for the afternoon, they just wouldn't allow this to happen, despite our willingness to be flexible the hotel's staff training policy, it seems, doesn't allow for flexibility.

The following day, besides making the bed and taking away the towels, housekeeping didn't make up our room at all, we needed to repeatedly call reception for towels, tea and coffee, complimentary water, some toilet tissue etc.

Later that day and making our way up to our 16th floor room the keycard wasn't allowing us access to our room, a staff member was nearby but rather than let us in to our room he somewhat casually told us we needed to go to reception (16 floors below).

By the time we made it back, via the busy elevators, to reception I was getting fed up and flicking the card across the desk I demanded, to the lady receptionist that had offered to attend to me, they give me one that works. A male receptioist who was engaged in a telephone call then addressed me quite rudely and arrogantly and, to the effect, that if I want to be abrupt with a staff member then I should be abrupt with him, he was, so to speak, "squaring up to me" in an intimidating, perhaps threatening, manner.

Telling him not to speak to me like that I demanded to see the duty manager, when she arrived, after calming down the arrogant receptionist she tried to tell me that the receptionist that had checked us in hadn't made a mistake but thought it to be just a one night, rather than three nights, reservation. This is typical Philippines, rather than accept that they have made a mistake and address the problem to improve standards in the future they'll simply lie and make excuses, explaining to this manager that I am a hotelier I told her not to disrespect my by lying to me asking that if it was just a one night stay upon check-in then why do I have a receipt for the PHP3,000.00 (3 nights) deposit that the receptionist had demanded from me?

But the crux of the problems, indeed the disrespect, shown to us by Quest staff during this stay occurred as we returned and entered the hotel after an evening out at around midnight on our 2nd night. Upon entering the hotel a staff member enquired of our room number, telling him "1625" he looked towards my wife asking "And is this lady your guest".

When they say "guest" like that what they actually mean is "prostitute", he caught the wrath of my tongue telling him "she's my wife, don't be so rude, not only had he offended my wife but he had offended me also.

I don't expect, indeed it drives me crazy, the staff saying "hello" or whatever to me hundreds of times each day, all I ask is for a professional service and some respect and these I have found tio be lacking at Quest Hotel.

Dear Phileas_Fogg_UK,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. We sincerely regret that you encountered some problems during your stay at our hotel.

Reference to your concerns please allow me to tackle each point:

1) The P1000 deposit per night is for the incidental expenses, but this is optional. Our guest can choose to have a cash basis arrangement with the hotel.

2) With regard to your room, we do not assign an unmade room to our guest. If our guest chooses to wait for his preferred room, we would be glad to give him/her a wash up room depending on availability, or we would offer to store guest’s luggage at the Concierge while waiting for the preferred room.

3) As to our Housekeeping’s failure to make up your room, please be confident that appropriate action has been taken to ensure that this does not happen again to our valued guest.

4) The room key is programmed based on the number of days booked and it expires at 12:30 on the check-out date. We allow any requests for extension depending on room availability. I would like to impart that we are equally disappointed that you find the conduct of our staff inappropriate. We certainly do not condone, whatsoever, inappropriate behavior by any of our staff.

However, when we reviewed the CCTV camera recordings, we were saddened to see that you actually threw the card key to our lady receptionist. The recording showed the card almost hitting her face by the force of your throw. This was totally unacceptable and unnecessary.

5. Lastly, we are very concerned to hear about the seeming “disrespect” you were subjected to by one of our security personnel. We sincerely apologize and extend our deepest regret over the incident. An investigation is being undertaken by our Security Manager regarding the matter. We will make certain that sanctions are meted where they are due once proven that there was an apparent lapse in handling this incident.

On the same note, please be informed also that the security staff that carried the said procedure had no intention to discriminate or insult anyone. Our security personnel are mandated to enforce common security procedures without any form of discrimination and implement them according to the accepted norms. These procedures are carried out with utmost courtesy and respect to our patrons.

We hope you will have another chance to come back to the property. We would be more than glad to assist you.

Rosarito, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked online and got a flash deal being offered both by hotels and agoda, not oddly enough by Expedia, so I'm satisfied. I would not be at full price. I had the premium deluxe room, which has a patio and overlooks, sort of, the pool which belongs in someone's backyard. The room is not huge, but the bed is very comfortable. My big complaints are the drain in the sink won't close and has a vicious sewer smell emanating, and after many days at any hour water was never hotter than room temperature. Good pressure though for a cold shower. Curiously, I received an operator call reminding me to check out. I needed to extend but was told the hotel was fully booked and I had to go. So I went online and rebooked my same room again. The front desk can't access rooms available online. The elevators and front desk are always busy. I've not tried the lounge-restaurant as there are so many options at the Ayala mall, after playing human "Frogger" to cross the street for those who remember that game.

Room Tip: Dont forget your toothbrush. The extra amenities are not provided.
Dear AitchA,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay. We truly regret the fact that you encountered some problems during your stay.

We constantly look after our customers’ well being and safety very seriously. We have already coordinated with the City government for the provisions of a foot bridge however , until it is done we are encouraging our guests to use the pedestrian located just a few meters away from the hotel.

Comments and suggestions for the continued patronage of our services are greatly valued. Please be assured always that what you have mentioned above are well taken and being addressed as soon and as quickly as possible

Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to serve you and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Firstly, if you're old, infirm, or can't run at the speed of Usain Bolt, then avoid this hotel, because the road between the hotel and Ayala Mall is a deathtrap.

Secondly, the thing they advertise as a "bar/lounge" is nothing of the sort !
It's merely a few stools in the restaurant. Zero ambiance, and the bar waiters are basically there to serve the needs of the busy restaurant.
They even had the audacity to add a service charge to my bottle of beer ! ...... what service ?????

Also on arrival, I was asked for a deposit (even though I'd already paid by credit card).
Deposit ? ... what for ????
In case of breakages and if I use the minibar.
I told them to remove all the items from the minibar, and I was not accustomed to paying a "breakage" deposit.... I refused point-blank.

After that incident, I was pointedly ignored by reception for the three nights I stayed there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Cebu, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Marc M,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments about your stay. We are truly sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

The deposit of P1000 per night is for your incidental expenses which is refundable upon check-out., but this is optional. Our guest can choose to have "a cash basis arrangement" with the hotel.

Please be assured that the safety and security of our valued guests is always our main concern and we are giving this our utmost attention. We have already coordinated with the City government for the provisions of pedestrian facilities however , until it is done we will advise our guests to use the pedestrian located just a few meters away from the hotel.

As for the bar, your observation is well taken but rest assured that we constantly upgrade our facilities. At any rate, your candid comment is well received.

Thank you once again. We look forward to having you back at the hotel again soon.

Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Our first visit to Cebu after so many years and we stayed at Quest. Very pretty & clean place. We had a corner room so we really had a great view of the city. Huge picture windows, comfortable beds; good wifi reception in the room, too. Lots of variety for breakfast; Filipino foods as well as Oriental and Western cuisines. Some meats were not hot, though they were in warmers. It also took a while to get the waiter's attention for coffee re-fill both mornings we were there, but this can be over-looked. Overall, the staff was very friendly & helpful. And the location is great: you just cross the street & you are in Ayala Center, a place to shop, eat, dine, drink!

Room Tip: A corner room will give you a great view of the city!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear FloRDMichigan,

Thank you for the kind thoughts that you shared with us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback we receive from our guest since we use this information for the continuous improvement of our hotel.

With regard to the waiter , please be assured that we are addressing the matter, and that appropriate measures will be taken to ensure this does not happen again.

We look forward to having you back at the hotel again soon.

Quest Hotel Conference Center Cebu

Been to Quest Cebu? Share your experiences!