“Excellent security and great value” 4 of 5 stars

Quest Cebu
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Archbishop Reyes Avenue, Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #8 of 81 Hotels in Cebu City
Canberra, Australia
“Excellent security and great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed here on 23 and 24 November as part of a solo tour of some of the Visayan Islands. This is a really good hotel and conveniently located close to the huge Ayala Mall. The security staff will help you cross the road, but although the mall isn't far away, you have to go through a busy bus terminal and up some stairs, so it feels like a long way if you come back loaded up like me with heavy stuff like bottles of fruit juice.
I had a big room (no. 1809) with a view of the hills and the glimpse of a sea view in the other direction, partly blocked by another new hotel under construction. There was a bar fridge full of drinks (I took some of them out to make room for my orange juice and milk), a tea and coffee maker (the coffee wasn't very nice, so I used my own Kopiko brown coffee (only P6 a packet from the 7-11 store about 150m away between Tune Hotel and the New Cebu bar).
The hotel itself is quiet at night and I slept well, but there are some construction sites and other lonely spots close by where you would not want to linger. The hotel security notes the taxi driver's name and number and gives the directions, and they even have a sniffer dog with handler. I got in a taxi here heading for Magellan's Cross and a few other sights in the downtown area and expected to pay by the meter as arranged by the hotel security, but after about 200m the driver was asking for P1000 per hour, so I asked him to go back to the hotel. The next driver was really good, he got out at each destination and stayed with me. He said one of his passengers had a necklace snatched off outside the famous Basilica Minore del Santa Nino, following which the hotel asked him to stay beside passengers when on foot. His fare was about P330 for around two hours, so I gave him P500 and probably should have given more. I can't remember his name, but he was aged 27, from Cebu, and his taxi was number 5005.
The flat screen TV had lots of cable channels, including all the ones I like (the BBC, CNN, Australian Network and HBO), the A/C worked well and was not noisy, the hot water was good, the light as good for reading in bed (not the case in many hotels), and the wifi was excellent (I really appreciated this after coming from the wifi desert at Go Hotel in Dumaguete, reviewed separately). The room was very clean, the only thing to complain about were the greasy paw prints on the window, which meant I couldn't get a good photo of the view.
There was a wide choice of breakfast dishes, Including my usual choice of rice porridge/congee (bubur ayam in Indonesian, khaaw tom in Thai), and another variety in a mustard yellow colour, it was really delicious, probably a Filipino variety.
I booked on-line about 5 hours before arrival; reception had no record of my booking, but were able to find it when I showed them the confirmation email they had sent. If it had been busier, this could have meant getting turned away even though I had a confirmed booking.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Cebu, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent experience while staying at Quest Hotel & Conference Center-Cebu. We sincerely value your comments in our continuous effort to provide friendly and efficient service.

I regret that you experienced dissatisfaction during your stay with us. Rest assured that I have noted your comments and took necessary actions to ensure that similar incidents will not happen in the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Quest Hotel is located next to the enormous Ayala Mall and close to the Bus Stations leading to Moalboal and Bantayan. The place itself is very exquisite and classy. The security, front desk and housekeeping staff are extraordinary. The security have a record of which taxi you leave with, your destination and a complaint form if the taxi does you wrong. House keeping is always at your service. Great AC, adequate size of refrigerator and comfortable beds. I experienced a concern regarding my reservation and spoke to "Ms. Charm" at the front desk. She was not able to directly help me and eagerly enlisted assistance from her supervisor "Ms Nestle". Charm & Nestle resolved my reservation concern before I could hit "send" when requesting outside assistance via electronic mail. Quest Hotel nor its staff needed to help me but chose to help me. This is exceptional service. I will definitely return and highly recommending this place for anyone staying in Cebu.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the review on your stay at our hotel. We appreciate your kind comments most especially on the remarkable service of our staff. Your feedback about our services and facilities inspired us to continually look for ways to further delight all our guests.

Again, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to another opportunity of sharing our Quest hospitality with you.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

First: To those complaining about loud aircon - if you bothered to use the remote control and set it to sleep mode instead of turbo you would not have complained...

I was staying 8-11. and 16-18.th November 2012 in this Hotel (writing in fact this review after 4 of 5 nights). I got a premium deluxe corner room with balcony at the promotional rate of 3700 Piso/night - which is around 90 USD.

I found the staff to be very attentive and helpfull - especially worth mentoning Erwin from housekeeping and the front desk which changed my reservation upon telephonical request when I decided on short notice to return earlier and spend more time on boracay...

CheckIn/CheckOut was quick at the the first three nights. The room was well cleaned and in a good condition. In the bathroom the cement between tiles was in some places not correctly scraped off after tiling, but hey - it is not the mariott, or the radison which cost 3-5 times more per night for the same type of room...

The internet connection was the bestI ever had on travels - which is thanks to the fact that in front ofevery pair (2) of rooms there is an access point for the free WLAN.

TV was a quite large LG Flatscreen mounted on a swivel wall mount so you can adjust it to a certain amount. They have 90 different national andinternational channels - the only drawback was today when the tv had during 2 or 3 hours various interruptions. But otherwise -good. In my opinion it would be good if the TV power would not get cutoff when you remove your room key as itlooses the time set everytime so you have to adjust it over and over if you wantto use the tv as alarmclock...

The room safe is really spatious and accomodates an A4 size enelope without any tricky squeezing it in - so an iPad or 10" Samsung tab is no problem at all... Certainly a 13" Macbook if not even a 15" would fit in I guess... There is plenty of space.

To the breakfast: There is a broad variety changing in some parts on a daily basis... You have enough choice if you don't like the stuff from the chaffing dishes. But hey... Do you eat buttered fish at home for breakfast? I guess not... btw. the buttered fish was the best breakfast I had here.

Security: Visitors have to present an ID and in case they don't you have to sign a waiver including
for the case of your death :D. Well I would not raise any claims ons I am dead ;)
There are security cameras in every corner of every floor, the check your carry on luggage at the entrance and drug and explosive sniffing dogs check every baggage befor entering the hotel.

Use of internet to print out emails:75 Pisos per 30 minutes and 10 Pisos per page printed...
The printer cartridge should be changed - the prints were quite weak but legible.

Bottom line: IfI come back to Cebu I would choose this hotel again - at least if it is available at the rate I had these stays.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Cebu, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear Marek D,

Thank you for the kind thoughts that you shared with us on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the feedback we receive from our guest since we use this information for the continuous improvement of our hotel.

We are also delighted to hear that our Front desk staff and Erwin of Housekeeping efficiently played an important role in making your stay pleasant and memorable .

We wish you all the best! We are looking forward to having you here with us again.

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Great rooms, great location, great pool (with pool bar). Only knock: mediocre breakfast for price. This is a luxury hotel at a mid-range price. Easy walk to Ayala mall and the staff arranges transportation, restaurant recommendations and excursions. I'd recommend this for business travelers, travelers jumping off to the islands and couples.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room... views are much nicer.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
QuestCebuGM, General Manager at Quest Cebu, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear CR Willey,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor. Your comments will encourage us to further improve the quality of our service and facilities.

With regard to the food quality , please be assured that we are upgrading our menu choices and reviewing our prices to ensure the satisfaction of our valued guests.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at Quest Cebu on business from November 15 to November 16 and had an enjoyable experience from my arrival at the airport up to check-out.

After enduring a miserable 2 hour delay with Zest Air, which saw me waiting in the airport for close to 5 hours, I was tired, cranky and praying that Quest would live up to all the positive reviews here in TripAdvisor. Thankfully Quest Cebu exceeded expectations.

Upon arrival at the Cebu Airport, my first order of business was to figure out how to get to my hotel. As I walked onto the arrival area, I saw an employee of Quest holding a sign. Thinking that there was a hotel shuttle, I approached him to inquire if there was complimentary transport to the hotel.

While the Quest employee informed me that there was no such shuttle and that he was there to pick-up guests who had made transport arrangements with the hotel, said employee nevertheless assisted me with my luggage and helped me get a cab that brought me to the hotel. Very kind and accomodating indeed.

Upon arrival at the hotel, check-in was fast and relatively painless with the whole process done in a few minutes, although I had to wait a bit in line because there was another guest checking in ahead of me.

After check-in I then proceeded to my room and was pleased by what I saw. I had booked a Deluxe Room with King-Size Bed, which I observed to be relatively spacious, clean and complete with all amenities advertised. One drawback though was that work table which seemed old and beaten up, with nicks appearing on its surface.. Also the toilet could have used better cleaning as it seemed old and a bit spotty.

As I was already too tired to go out for dinner and still had to prepare for my court hearing the next day, I ordered room service, which was brought up in about 20 minutes.

While much can be said about the facilities being new; what stands out is that the hotel is making a conscious effort to improve its services.

Having read previous reviews, I was pleased to see that management not only read these reviews, but also took concrete steps to try to address them. For example: upon arriving at my room I was immediately asked if I would be requesting for toothbrush, toothpaste and/or an iron and iron board - all of which were brought up promptly. The doormen were also quite helpful and even offered to help me cross the busy street over to Ayala mall - addressing concerns raised in previous reviews.

The staff were indeed very courteous, accomodating and professional - graciously assisting me in getting cabs, using the business center, as well as noting and promptly acting on my request for late check-out. Even the check-out process was done quickly and efficiently.

One disappointment though was the failure of housekeeping, despite my specific request, to clean my room and turn down my bed. After returning from my hearing I was hoping to be able to catch a quick nap before check-out and would have wanted to rest on some fresh sheets. Otherwise, I would have given them a perfect score for service.

All in all I had a pleasant stay in Quest and recommend staying there, though there are still areas for improvement, which I trust management will address.

Tips: If you're sensitive to noise, try to get a room that isn't facing Ayala, since the noise from the street can be heard up to the room, although I personally was not bothered.

On your way out tell the doormen if you want to go to ayala mall and they will assist you in crossing the street.

I asked the doorman where I could buy lechon to bring home for my wife before going to the airport and he immediately thought out the best option and instructed my taxi driver to make short stop before heading to the airport. If there are particulat things you want to buy or see, the hotel doormen and staff will give you recommendations and assist you.

-qallado

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Mr. Qallado,

Thank you very much for your kind comments on Trip Advisor. We are very happy to know that your experience here was enjoyable and we accomplished our goal in taking good care of you.

With regard to the failure of our Housekeeping staff to clean your room, please be assured that we have discussed this with our team, and that appropriate action will be taken to improve further the quality of our service.

Thank you once again and we truly look forward to your being here and once again enjoy your home away from home.

UAE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very clean rooms, 3rd visit. They still disorganized on the front desk, training required here very frustrating experiences. But Pool great, Breakfast great and just across from the mall. Be wary of the taxis in the rank organized by the hotel, 3/4 bad experiences overcharging long routes taken . Despite the system hotel seemed to have in place, with escalation to the security lady in charge.
And do watch out for crossing the main road to the Mall, wait for a guard to help across otherwise you will be roadkill!

Room Tip: higher floor, not overlooking the mall, over look the pool. (the windows not sealed properly so traf...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kercom1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments on Trip Advisor.

We regret the fact that you encountered some problems upon check-in . Rest assured that we have discussed this with the concerned department for immediate action. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience we have caused you.

Please be assured also that we have already coordinated with the City Government for the provision of pedestrian facilities facilities to solve all this safety concerns. However, until it is done we will continue to provide the crossing guards for our guest's safety.

Thank you once again for giving us the opportunity to be of service to you!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

overall stay is very good :)

though the rates in the internet is diffirent when u arrive in the hotel its okay cause the staffs were very attentive,friendly and courteous.. and so far this is the only hotel i've been with the fastest free wifi connection ever ^_^ location is great except if u will go to ayala.. its so scary to play patentero with the cars.. will definitely go back here ..stayed here for 5 nights..i hope they will have safest way to go to ayala.. thanks to da security guard who is always help us to cross the street :)

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Hananing,

Please be assured that the safety and security of our valued guests is always our main concern and we are giving this our utmost attention. We have already coordinated with the government agencies concerned for the provisions of pedestrian facilities to solve all this safety concerns. However, until it is done we will continue to provide the crossing guards for our guest's safety.

We truly look forward to your being here once again enjoy your home away from home.

Quest Hotel Conference Center