“Unsatisfied this time!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Stella

You added Hotel Stella to your Saves list
Hotel Stella
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Don Gil Garcia Street Capitol Site, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Cebu City
Makati, Philippines
“Unsatisfied this time!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I called Hotel Stella 1 day before my arrival in Cebu, asked for a room and to reserved one for me. The receptionist told me to call again the next day to confirm my reservation. I told her that I called to reserve and confirm my reservation. She insisted that I still have to call. (I find it unreasonable). Room rates look affordable but should you look or request for items like blanket or comforter, complimentary water, you'll have additional charges. Upon check in they will ask for deposit (in my case payment for 1 day rate) plus additional Php500 for incidentals. The room is very small and too dark. There were cockroaches in the bathroom. This morning, I need to wait for 1 hour for my breakfast to be delivered in my room. When I came this evening, my room hasn't been cleaned. This would be my last stay in this hotel even though it's near establishments I often visit.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Negros Island, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

I stayed in this hotel twice. Once when I took an exam at the DOH compound, and another time when I was coming home from Tacloban.

Pros:

1. Very affordable. I was pleasantly surprised at how affordable it was, or I just might be used to Bacolod and Manila rates. For a room good for two people, with strong wi-fi, cool AC, cable TV, hot shower, room service, and a phone, I got it for half the usual price of Bacolod and Manila hotels. But I guess this really is the rate in these areas.

2. Professional. The lobby was small, but the front desk was very helpful. It was very easy to get a taxi cab as well.

3. Location is nice. It is one block away from Osmena Blvd, which is lined by many restaurants, banks, and other establishments. It is walkable, and practically all you need is within walking distance. You can even walk to the Feunte Osmena Circle (though it is quite a walk), where Vicente Sotto Medical Center and Chon Hua Hospital are, not to mention Robinson's and Crown Regency Towers. If you need to be near any of these areas, this hotel is a must pick.

Cons:

1. The food is a little bland.

I would definitely pick this one if I need to be in the area and was tight on budget. Real value for money.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Austintown, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

Accommodations that are impressive to locals but bargain by US standards.

It is within walking distance of shops on one of the major thoroughfares, including local as well as tourist oriented businesses. Taxis were readily available. The bed was large and the demand water heater provided hot showers (though not hot water in the sink) -- both scarce in the Philippines.

Characteristic of the differences between US and Filipino accommodations at this price level is the rather elegant lobby and complimentary breakfast that is a true meal. However, the choices for breakfast were too small for a long stay and items were often unavailable at any given time. Brewed coffee was available, but rather pricey for the serving size. Black instant coffee was out of stock for several days. Rooms come with refrigerator, but no microwaves.

The staff had a very limited command of English (common in Cebu) so that some concepts were difficult to get across -- like clarifying that I was asking that the egg included in my breakfast be scrambled, as opposed to asking for an additional order of scrambled eggs, or getting an answer to the question whether I could have 2 breakfasts for myself since the room charge included breakfast for 2 -- the answer turned out to be yes, but that was not he answer I got originally.

The laundry service originally charged by the kilo, like local laundries, then switched to pricing by the piece, which was dramatically higher. Doing it over, I would have taken my laundry to a shop up the street.

The cleaning staff persisted in resetting the air conditioning to frigid, despite my complaining about this (If I wanted to be cold, I could have stayed in Ohio.)

I accidentally left my money belt out of the safe and later found a great deal missing, but cannot say exactly when it happened or who could have taken it. Fortunately, they accepted a credit card for the remaining balance of my stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dumaguete City, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

We recently booked a family room & informed front desk we're not sure when we'll be checking out. The ff day we decided to extend our stay due to bad weather condition. We informed front desk about this early that morning. But later that day they told me that we can't stay in our current room & have to move to a superior room because they already booked another client to our room! Really?!? Another issue is that inside the room we're staying in is a pool of water from poor a/c drainage system & my cousin's belongings were soaked wet! Stressful!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights. We arrived around 6pm and our room wasn't ready yet. I was surprised what took them so long to prepare the room. I communicated with them like 3 hours prior to my arrival just to confirm that we were coming. The impression I got is they don't value customers. Lack of quality service.

The good thing I like about this hotel is they deliver breakfast to your room which some hotels would charge you for P50-100 for this service.

Stayed January 2014
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

I find this hotel very convenient when one has to take a jeepney to get around Cebu City. It is near the highway where jeepneys to places one wants to see is available. The staffs are courteous. I would like to especially mention Ann, the lady in the reception. She's so helpful and very informative of which to jeep to take in order to reach one destination. She also gives suggestions on where to go around the vicinity. Inclusive set breakfast is not generous. It has a few pieces of viands to go along with the rice and egg. Room is clean and spacious enough. The next time I am with my family, I would want to stay here again. Really value for my money!

Room Tip: Between deluxe and superior, choose deluxe room. It is good enough. The only difference is that su...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Las Piñas, Cavite, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

​Stayed here for two separate dates, aug 4 and aug 7. Our first day was great, we got a Standard room and the room was pretty. lighting was great it was so homey even if the room was small. The staff is friendly. The only complaint was the tv since we have to call a couple of times to have it fixed and a request of 2 glasses of water took an hour to be delivered.
Now here comes the second day. Horrible. We have a late check-in at 5pm and to our surprise, the room is not ready yet. We have paid in advance and full for our stay. front desk asked us to wait for 10mins and said that's fine. but after 45mins the room isn't ready yet. When i asked about this, they said that the room is being fixed by the maintenance as it has no shower head and lighting. we are disappointed as hell.
When the room is ready, we have anticipated the whole thing. The room was dirty, they used a typical fluorescent light, the shower head's sprinkler was so thin you can't bathe yourself well because of it. no "bedet" for the toilet and viola, drinking water didnt come as requested. And by he way, this was a Deluxe room which is an "upgraded" version of the standard room.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Stella? Share your experiences!