TRAVEL ALERT: TYPHOON HAIYAN—HOW TO HELP More info

Ranked #15 of 73 hotels in Cebu City
Manila Philippines
“Worth it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed at Diamond Suites & Residences on Oct 5 to 7. From the airport, we took a cab and in about half an hour we arrived at the hotel. Just make sure the taxi driver hears you very clearly as you instruct him to take you to Apitong St where the hotel is located. It is more often misheard as Capitol St. The lobby is quite small but clean and the staff are all courteous and friendly. Check in - fast and smooth as expected as we have already pre-booked our stay. We stayed at the second floor not too far away from the elevator. The room is neat and tidy, likewise the bathroom. Bonus - wifi in the room. The breakfast buffet spread is very limited though.

The one thing we like most is the location. It is very close to Ayala Mall. Also, just across the street is the jeepney terminal. One can go anywhere in no time.

In our next trip to Cebu, we will stay here again. We certainly got our moneys worth. Staff are super duper friendly. They also allow late check outs..

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Location - Great location, just a 5minute walk to Ayala Mall.
Rooms - Spacious, Mattress is soft but the Room was not thoroughly cleaned. We're uncomfortable sleeping during our first night because we found some bedbugs in our bed.
Toilet - water in the shower area is not draining well.
Service - The staff are courteous, but no bellman was around to help us carry our baggage when we arrived in the hotel.
Breakfast - Buffet Breakfast with 5-6 choices of food. Breakfast was okay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Clara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Very friendly and amazing personal , helpful and understanding The restaurant workers are nice but the breakfast has no variety of food no cheese or yougurt of different kinds of soupes but it is ok for one or two days The telephone service is too expensive ,not quite at night ,too much noises .,I will go back there again ,

Room Tip: Choose a delux room with a shower only ,bath tubs are slippery , I stayed ten days but I didn't...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

getting there
It is in apitong street, between Archbisshop Reyes and Escario, opposite the Ayala PUV terminal. Apitong can only be entered from Reyes, not from Escario.
If one takes a taxi from the airport, not all cab drivers may know how to find it and 'apitong street' can be understood as 'capitol street'. In that case just tell the driver to go to the Ayala PUV terminal and then Apitong is right across where the QUEST hotel is.

Entrance
It is a moderately spacious lobby. The first thing that struck me in the hotel is the friendliness of the staff. Really very friendly and accomodating.

Checking in
Very fast. I had booked through Agoda. I am not sure if that was the cheapest rate as I heard the front desk quote lower rates on the phone (something like 2000 php during weekend), but that might have been a locals only rate.
I payed 3200/night and that is OK. It is possible to get a Deluxe room in the Waterfront for say 3700 or 3800 but that is a smaller room and generally has only 1 queen bed, or 2 twin beds, making the Diamond Suites Hotel a better choice for a couple with a kid. Bathroom also definitely bigger than in the Deluxe at the Waterfront.

Rooms
I had a deluxe room on the 3rd floor. Apparently all the deluxe room have a window overlooking a small inner courtyard and looking into the room opposite.
I must admit that upon entry I was a bit shocked coz the room smelled a bit stale. Switching on the aircon quickly remedied that permanently.
the Deluxe room I admit is fairly spacious and had two queen beds in it. The beds were pretty comfortable linnen was crisp and clean and smelled fresh. It had a big flatscreen TV, a refrigirator, two armchairs, a regular chair, a desk (upon which the TV was) and a small round table. The badroom was spacious. It had a bath and a shower (in the bath). White tiles all over and very clean.
TV had a large number of channels. Many filipino ones but also Discovery, CNN and Cartoon Network. It has two remotes, one for the channel box and one for the TV itself. Valume actually can be controlled by both remotes.
The TV has a number of inputs and I managed to connect a nintendo Wii to it.
Aircon.
works good (more later though) is fairly silent and is controlled by a remote. It will go down as low as 17 degrees centigrade.
There is a cupboard with a safe in it. Funnily though the safe was not bolted down so a burglar can easily take it along :-) but it ofcourse protects against opportunity thieves.
There are complimentary water bottles every day

One thing about the honesty of the cleaning staff: I had a fairly expensive ring that I had taken out of its box and apparently layed down somewhere while I thought I had put it back in my suitcase. When I had not even missed it yet, it suddenly was on the night stand. When I asked my son about it he toldme that a girl from the cleaning staff had found it on the floor and put it on the nightstand. Cleaning staff, like all staff was very friendly, though I think that one day they forgot my room :-)

I managed to check out rooms at the 2nd floor: That floor seems a bit noisy due to the aircons there in an inner courtyard, but to my surprise that sound did not really penetrate the rooms.
The suites are at the 6th floor.

Internet
The Hotel has Internet connection, both cable and WiFi. I did not try the cable, but I did try the WiFi. It is fairly slow and I had to reconnect many times. The hotel will give you an account name and a password, but no real instruction on how to proceed. In fact, the password is needed for their proxy website: wireless.colubris.com If yr computer is not automatically directed there you may struggle a bit, coz there is no indication that you need to go to that website first.
Best time to connect is at night

Breakfast
Breakfast is till 10. To my surprise, though i booked 2 adults and a child, one time the hotel told me they were going to charge me for the 3rd breakfast. Fine, I did not make a fuss about that as my son hardly ate there.
The Staff in the breakfast room is quite friendly, like all staff I encountered. The breakfast itself is a bit limited for westerners since many dishes are Filipino goodies that a westerner usually does not touch (dried fish, cold rice, champorado). Nevertheless, there is a choice for westerners as well in things such as mashed potatoes, potato lyonnais, fish in a crust thingies and scrambled eggs. There is a cook that will prepare eggs as you wish.
There is also fruit and bread. The bread however is the typical Filipino-American somewhat sweet bread that americans love but europeans hate :-(
About the quality the following: I have had the best potato lyonnais, scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes there. yet on other days the quality was a bit less. Still good, but not as good as I had on other days, i.e. the quality is not consistent. Good overall, but not consistent.
The same goes for the juice that is available. Sometimes a really full taste, other days a bit less. Still good, but a bit less in taste.
With regard to the cook that makes the eggs: There is one guy, in a sort of cooks uniform that makes great, really great omelets. on other days however there is a guy in a more regular hotel uniform and he clearly makes the omeletettes not as good as the chef.

RoomService
Friendly staff. Dont just rely on their menu, coz they have things that are not on the menu (like club sandwich). Delivery is prompt, no hanging around for tips :-)

Swimming pool
The hotel has a swimming pool on the roof. In all honesty, initially it did not seem too inviting coz it is surrounded at two sides by walls and the tiles in it are dark blue, making the entire pool seem a bit murky. Nevertheless, I got to enjoy it very much. The water is not to deep so most kids say older than 7 would be able to stand there. Adjacent to the pool is a terrace, overlooking the city and as during the time I was there the pool and terrace were not really crowded, we really got to enjoy sitting up there in the evening with a drink, enjoying the evening breeze with the hustle and bustle of the city below us.
So eventhough the pool worked out nice, it would have been better if it had been fitted with light tiles, rather than dark ones. The water however was just as fresh, regardless :-)

Work-out room/Gym
There is a small gym on the 6th (top) floor that basically has a few step machines. I have not seen anybody use it but it smelled as if it had been used a lot :-)

Ayala
Obviously the closeness to Ayala is a big plus for the hotel. Turn right when leaving the hotel and one can already see Ayala. Be prepared though to cross an often busy street 'Filipino style', meaning that one wiggles oneself from lane to lane, sometimes having cars pass by at both front and back with a motorcycle in between. However, it works!
I read in another review that someone 'felt safe' coming from ayala because he already almost could see the guard from the hotel, but in reality there is really no reason to feel unsafe there, guard or no guard.
The quickest way to ayala is actually through the PUV terminal, that has only one drawback: everybody has to go down via one small staircase :-)

Some slight negative points:
our aircon suddenly developed a mind of its own, switching on and off while beeping loudly and hardly cooling and that troughout the night. The hotel did offer another room, but I really did not feel like packing up in the middle of the night. after some guys having a look at it with only temporary fixes, the maintenance crew had to 'reset something in the electrical room' and upon return from aala it worked perfectly again.

Upon checkout apparently there were a small and a regular towel missing. Now if there is one thing I do not need to bring from a Filipino hotel it is a towel or two so I told them I did not take them. Most likely housekeeping made a mistake because sometimes I'd get 3 and sometimes I'd get two towels. In th eend the hotel accepted it and asked if I could sign for it, just for their records, but not needing to pay for it. The note I signed howebver mentioned a peso amount that made me suspicious about the 'not paying'. I will need to check my credit card account when it comes in to see if I really dont have to pay for it.

Summary
A pretty good hotel and certainly worth considering. I initially booked for a few days -just to check it out- but extended my stay, which means I was happy with it. There were some slight flaws, but the overall genuine friendliness of the staff easily makes you forgive and forget that. All in all my stay at Diamond suites was very satisfying. I'd certainly would recommend it

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Bangalore, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

It was our first time to visit Cebu so we wanted to explore the city and have a great time at the beach as well. We stayed here for one night to visit the historical places like The Basilica del Sto Nino, Magellan's Cross, Fort San Pedro and eat at other restaurants Cebu has to offer like The famous Zubuchon.
This hotel is very near Ayala Mall so there are plenty of restaurant choices nearby. The room we stayed at is clean with basic amenities but a bit dark. Good thing we only come here to sleep. They also have a small pool at the top floor. The view is nice so check it out. We paid Php4000 a night for a room with 2 queen size beds with free breakfast for 2 adults. Pay 175 for kid's breakfast. Under 6 eat for free.

This is a good place to stay if you want to explore the city. Then just transfer to another hotel to experience the good beaches. The closest one is shangrila Mactan.

Room Tip: Maybe rooms in higher floors are brighter.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

Metro Cebu which is made up of 7 cities with Cebu City as it's most progressive is just booming and will continue to do so in the next few years. I've been traveling to Cebu for work in the past 5 years and business centers continue to multiply.

The Cebu Business Center where the Ayala Shopping Mall is located in a sprawling property with various locators and construction will continue as there are still vacant spaces to build. One of the newer hotels next to this Business Center is Diamond Suite and Residences. Ayala Mall is just across from the hotel which makes it a great location but with this comes a high price tag.

Relative to other hotels in other locations with similar facilities, I would consider Diamond Suites and Residences quite expensive. They have a gym and a swimming pool on the top floor. Food is nothing to rave about. Service is OK. If you need wifi service, get a room nearer the elevator area. Wifi gets weaker as you go further from the center of the building.

Room Tip: If you need wifi service, get a room nearer the elevator area. Wifi gets weaker as you go further f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
lillestrøm.norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

the staff is very friendly and accommodating. the location is very ok, about 5 to 10 minutes walk to ayala mall..hotel is cozy, interiors are very good..facilities are at par with the european standard..pool is a bit small but quite ok..you have a background of a big hotel though. buffet breakfast is very good, varied..restaurant serves good food and not that pricey..

Room Tip: standard room is enough for us..it is much better to have a room not facing the street as one can he...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Diamond Suites & Residences? Share your experiences!