“Harol's Haven” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in Cebu City
valley village, ca
“Harol's Haven”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

This lovely new hotel in Lahug lives up to its great reviews. Arriving well after midnight because of a delayed flight and very slow customs, we were pleased to find Harold's doorman and front desk staff ready for us with a smile and a quick and easy check-in. The room was clean and quiet, the black out drapes worked and the bed was comfortable. The combo bath and shower has a big window that open into the bedroom, which is a little odd, but it has a remote control operated blind for privacy, which was even odder but practical. The only down side is the rack rate, which fortunately we were not paying. It's one of the highest in the city and while nice enough, Harold's really doesn't compete with other hotels in that higher price range. The buffet breakfast was excellent, varied and good value. We'd definitely go back, but not on a weekend, when the price is ridiculously high, even with an online discount.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Indonesian first
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

from wifi not working, they keep giving you wifi passwords and never explains that it had actually not worked for 2 weeks was just stupid. The front office manager lady admitted it after the 5th day of complaining we never get internet! We were staying at Best Western for 2 wks and wanted to try something new... we moved to Harolds and REGRET IT!! best western lex is a much better location, perfect wifi, amazing breakfast, GREAT staff.. unlike all of it the opposite to Harolds. They have this front office manager who just shows her face to you smiles and listen to your issues- i don't think she has any idea about customer service or how to deal with issues. ... never corrects it. One night, We parked our car just infront of the hotel with cctv.. we requested if we can view it bcuz we parked less than 30 minutes, went to the room to change and came down and it was completely flat. there were a group of young boys working for HAROLDS and we requested if we can view the cctv..this was not accommodated. It was 10pm and we struggled in the dark as we were changing tires and not one of the male staff, security, bellman and other staff offered help..flashlight or anything or to call anyone. They just watch us. Also, we got tricked on booking with them, the price on direct booking on their website showed the same price as Veneer and so we chose to book direct on the next night to help them save from paying commission only to find out they have to tax us 22.5% more with no breakfast. While all was inclusive with veneer and booking.com with breakfast!!! when we complained that there was a mistake... they right away deleted the one in veneer and booking.com but we took photos before they deleted it! It was by the way against their contract with agoda and booking.com or any online agents to offer something cheaper on one agent and not on the others. The young lady just said simply- the reservations department had overlooked it and not updated the system.No offers or anything and since we have fully paid it- we have no more choice. If we have not paid it- WE WILL LEAVE IN A HEARTBEAT and go back to Best western Lex or Mandarin. There are so many new hotels in cebu.. do not stay here!!! The location is almost the same as best western but no 7 eleven, no food place, no shops, no pharmacy..while u even get mcdo next door and great restos in Best western, Mandarin- cross the road and you are in ayala. Book somewhere else. The service on this place will ruin your holiday!

Room Tip: there is nothing good in this place!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
lancaster, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel for a week while visiting my wife's family. (We went there with the intent to assist with the problems caused by the recent typhoon and earthquake. We found incidentally that the damage in his area was minimal.)

I was truly impressed with this hotel! The rooms were certainly up to American standards for one of the better hotels. The prices were very reasonable, less than we spend for a place at the New Jersey shore in the summer.

The rooms were excellent. The bathroom was spectacular. All new tile and clean-this is the first thing I check here in the states. Beds are comfortable. I used the exercise room everyday.

We had the breakfast buffet option every morning and it was superb. (The short guy making the omelets really knows what he is doing!) Breakfast was different every day with approximately 50 items. About 50% of the food is "Americanized" which I use for lack of a better term to describe breakfast food I would find here in the states. The rest was different, but tasty. The waitresses were very attentive and always at your elbow to fill the coffee cup or take away a plate.

The front help is probably the best I have ever seen. Doormen open a door any time you get within 10 feet...even if you are not going outside. They can summon a taxi in an instant....by telepathy? They carry all the bags every time. Really great service.

I had one minor complaint and it may be partially my fault. There seems to be a disconnect with the person changing the rooms. We had to ask for something almost every day but there was a different person every day. So maybe we didn't make our needs clear. Also, there is really no special activities for kids, but we didn't really expect any.

In conclusion, I would recommend this establishment any time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Check in for 6 days 5 nights, really enjoyed the hotel service very much. All the staff are friendly and polite, very attentive. Room are very clean and tidy, housekeeping done the job very well.
5 to 10 mins walk to Ayala Shopping mall and 1/2 to 45 mins to SM mall. Good location. All taxi driver known this hotel without doubt. I definitely will check in again.

Room Tip: Make sure book a hotel room with breakfast in Cebu city, because it could be bit difficult to look f...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed one week in one of its Superior Rooms (Rm 302) and, in that rather long stretch of time, I could not find any fault except, maybe, some small details.

The Cons:
1. The location is not exactly ideal since it is a distance away, though not really much that far, from Cebu's prime commercial/business areas like the Ayala Center and the Fuente de Osmena Ave. It is in the corner of two narrow streets that, during rush hours, might suffer from bad vehicular traffic.

2. The Wi-Fi connection is inconsistent and erratic. You get a good fast signals at times yet either slows down or gets disconnected in other times.

3. The hotel is physically bereft of space hence, its amenities like the gym is so small that when there are already two or three people working out inside, there will no longer be any room for you. Ditto with its ground floor restaurant where the complimentary breakfast is. During the rush of guests going for breakfast in the morning, every seat gets easily filled up.

Pro:
1. Checking-in and out are fast. The front desk staff are warm and courteous.

2. The rooms are clean and well taken cared of by the Housekeeping Staff. Room and housekeeping services are also fast and efficient.

3. Pillows, linens and towels are cool. Clothes cabinet is spacious and comes with ironing facility. Toiletries are also sufficient and the housecleaning staff does a great job at replenishing them promptly. There is also a safety deposit box inside the room and the fridge is well stacked up with food stuffs.

4. Bed and mattress are soft and you'll get a good night's sleep.

5. Even the smallest room such as the one had comes with a bath tub with reliable hot/cold running water all the time.

6. Customer Service, from the front desk, to bell boys, to housekeeping, to room service is top. Imagine, they will not even think twice about accommodating our special request for an early breakfast at around 4am. Room and housekeeping requests are also delivered in a jiffy.

7. What I like most about this hotel is its great food and they come at very reasonable price. For only PhP 300++, you can have a real good hearty buffet of a lunch or dinner which for me is a real bargain.

8. There is a good spa right next door to this hotel (it's either Thai Boran or Nuat Thai, I don't recall which one) where you can relax for a fraction of a price (1 hour massage costs only PhP 150 or just half the price for the same brand and service in Manila).

Conclusion:
For the budget conscious travelers, this is an excellent hotel. It might be categorized as a three-star hotel but it will give you a 5-star service!

Room Tip: Try dining in in this hotel rather have it outside where you might be spending more for less.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I read several very good reviews about this hotel, so decided to give it a shot. I was under the impression it was next to Ayala Mall. That is not the case. it is over 1/4 mile away. I suppose you could walk there, but given the traffic and state of the sidewalks, it is best to take a taxi.

Check-in was fine and my hotel room was nice with a very good bed. The first night, I ordered their special hamburger. It did not taste right, but I attributed that to possibly the seasoning, and so ate most of it. About 30 minutes later I got violently ill for the rest of the night, and this stayed with me for most of my stay. I am assuming the meat was bad and I got food poisoning. The next morning I went to the breakfast. My girlfriend ordered eggs. They never arrived. She went up to the omelet bar again and reordered them. They never arrived again. By this time we were done with the rest of our breakfast, so she just gave up and we left the restaurant.

My girlfriend was sick, so in several cases I had to leave her in the room while I bought her things in local stores. Unfortunately we were only given one key. It needed to be used for both the room power, and also to operate the elevator. That being the case, when I would leave her, I would have to do so with her being left in a dark, warm, and powerless room. Not ideal. Due to her being sick, I had no choice but to use room service again. I very clearly ordered my meals. When they arrived the side orders were wrong. I told the waiter the problem and asked to it to be resolved asap. He said he would be right back. After one more call and a few threats, the orders were finally delivered about an hour later, long after my plate was outside the door. The waiter apologized but said they were too busy to get back to me quickly. I told him I did not want the orders now, and asked to speak with the manager to both to the waiter and to the phone attendant. I never received a call back or any apology. I was completely ignored, and of course charged for everything.

I had no other negative experiences except the inevitable being charged for mini bar drinks which I never touched. Beer in this case and I don't drink alcohol.

Bad F&B, but i suppose not a bad hotel otherwise. I will definitely stay elsewhere next trip however.

Room Tip: I was on the 5th floor and could hear significant travel noise. Possibly having a higher room would...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I think this place is a hidden gem and not easily found. It is clean and neat and the service was quite good. It is has a good location, easy to get a cab, good service. The rooms are fairly modern and clean. Do NOT miss the bar and restaurant on the roof. It has great views with reasonably priced food and drinks. The hotel does not do a good enough job advertising it - I didn't even know it was there! Only gripe was with the laundry - took too long, they tried to charge me for "express service" but it wasn't even fast and it came back still damp. Not a bad buffet with western style food in the downstairs restaurant.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor - its on a busy street
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to Harolds Hotel? Share your experiences!