“Clean, nice area, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Harolds Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Gorordo Avenue | Lahug, Cebu City 6000 , Philippines   |
Ranked #7 of 77 hotels in Cebu City
Vineland, New Jersey
“Clean, nice area, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed in this hotel last Jan 25 to Feb.1 2013, venue for our HS reunion. Checked in was quick, just a mis-information from the receptionist regarding my free breakfast buffet, first day was free and second day I have to pay, which no problem for me. Trays always out of food and u have to ask if there is some more food coming. My third day, I decided to eat in the nearby mall. Room is spacious and always clean. The only problem I had was the phone line connection, everytime I called out, line got cut off. I was told that every call there is a charge and I notified the receptionist about the problem, she said "We will take care of it Sir". Staff are friendly, they do everything to make my stay a memorable one, but I know they are only doing their job. Management? I end up paying those disconnected calls. I didn't bother to questions, it will be a waste of time. Hopefully next time, If I decided to stay here again, things will be better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

103 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Their rooms are good (we tried their executive, their superior and their deluxe types), so we can definitely vouch that their rooms are good.

Executive suite:
Pros
-helpful crew and front desk
-spacious room
-comfy bed
-can make domestic calls
-electronic key card
-good aircon
-nice carpet
-tempting mini bar in the fridge
-with dining area
-shower area is also good with hot and cold shower; toilet with bidet
Cons
-logging in to the wifi is tedious and signal isn't that strong...
-housekeeping was late in setting up the extra beds

Superior room: (adjoining the executive suite)
-all in all it was good... Hubby's parents saw ants in the room though

Deluxe room: (stayed there on the wedding night)
-with bathtub and good shower area
-spacious room
-can make local calls
-we didn't bother about the wifi.. (We didn't need it at that time anyway)
-everything was good actually

CONS:
Their rooms were great but if u wanna have a wedding function with this hotel, always make sure that everything will be done as agreed on the contract.

Pros:
-their banquet manager was very beautiful and accommodating.. I always get a quick reply from her even beyond office hours just to follow up my wedding.. She knows I'm an OC
-superb food tasting and food presentation
-room discounts(for the rooms we booked) and early check in (with additional P1000 for check in at 8am)
-guests told me that the food was reallly really good.. The guests appreciated it... Not the sponsors... I'll explain this below

CONS:
-no Signage for the wedding provided
-there were Only 7 tables (for guests instead of the agreed 10tables on the contract) and One long table for the sponsors
-Pica pica with shrimp (I specifically instructed that shrimp and pork shouldn't be served... The shrimp triggered my cousin's allergy which panicked my aunt...they had to rush him to the hospital)
-Grape juice but wine? (It was on the contract to give us grape juice but alas! When wine toasting came, me and my groom drank wine! I was a bit dizzy after coz I usually don't drink!)
-Sponsors served late (the guests were almost full and done with their meal but the sponsors just had soup? They were already very hungry... They're supposed to be served FIRST... Coz they're my VIPs... But no... So I was ashamed after the wedding when they told me about this... My sponsors were doctors, lawyers and such but they weren't able to eat properly... They were able to start eating only after the guests finished theirs)

-Also bride and groom (we were the last ones to be served the food... We were just given soup.. Good thing my aunt asked the crew and finally they gave us our dishes after they served the sponsors)... We didn't finish our food already coz we had to stop eating to participate in the program coz the guests were already done with their food...
-Lacking food presentation: fruit salad just in a platter and not in a salad bowl or like during food tasting in wine glass
-Iced tea instead of sprite (we instructed to have sprite...)
-i understand that the sponsors meal was plated and not buffet. But The way the dishes were served to the sponsors was not organized. The appetizers (like the fish roe) were almost not served. If mama didn't check it, it wouldn't have been served. The fish roe (appetizer) already came with the fruit salad... Appetizers are supposed to be served before the mani course...
-moreover, the one in charge of the sound system was like a newbie... He didn't know how to operate the sound system... Seriously? Good thing my sister (17 yrs old) had knowledge about gadgets so she made the sound system work...

They would've been okay as a reception venue coz the function room had a good carpet and good interiors... We also chose this Hotel coz of it's proximity to our church ceremony. Good for pictorials... But I think they should improve on the way they handle agreed terms "On the Day" itself. They should follow what was stipulated in the contract. There were a lot lot lot of glitches which could've ruined our wedding night but I was just fortunate that I had a supportive family who backed me up at that time...they did everything to mend those lapses...

• Stayed March 2013
Tarlac,Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

Function rooms are spacious and relatively new. It's my first time to stay in this hotel,kind of impressed because despite small it was overshadowed by the neatness,good interiors and good customer service.staff are very accommodating.rooms are clean and space is just right.one most importantly,location is the best,in front of a bank and near the mall.

Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Cebu City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

i must say it is one of the best places to stay in Cebu, one of the best places to dine in as well since their rates are of reasonable prices.

Reservations staff Mhel was very helpful when i made a booking for me and my family. Front Desk staff were all accommodating and friendly.

Rooms were nice and bed was really comfortable. I love their restaurant at the roof top, overlooking the city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I stayed at Harolds Hotel again during my short Cebu visit and I must say everything about it is even better than last time:
(1) Check in: i requested really early check in (via email and in person ) as well as breakfast same day as I was departing fairly early on my departure date and will miss breakfast then.
BOTH REQUESTS WERE GRANTED.

(2) the buffet breakfast was better this time, with hot dishes and fresh fruit replenished constantly, unlike my last stay with them.

(3) WiFi is now available in rooms rather than just the lobby or the restaurant. This was a saving grace for me considering I was there for work.

(4) the hospitality of everyone from front desk to the valets was just as good as before.... I felt secure and well taken care of.

The only downside is its location, but taxis are aplenty to take you to Ayala Mall (a 5 minute ride) ir anywhere in Cebu.

Airport rise via taxi takes 30 minutes late night or early Am and costs around Php250-300.

I will be returning again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Rosarito, Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

After staying at many different hotels in Cebu city, this is from now on my first choice. Got a very good deal on Agoda for a deluxe room, which was roomy, and only $7 more than a standard. Everything worked as it was supposed to and housekeeping did their job, including paying attention to the "clean room, do not disturb sign" very well. Not something you can count on in the Philippines. Also, check in and check out was fast and smooth. Again, sometimes an issue at other hotels. An overall good experience. However, breakfast after 9:00 am will leave you picking at leavings and snatching accessories off of other tables. Do try the attached coffee shop for delicious flavored coffees and aperitifs. Also, the rooftop lounge is definitely a place to go for the pleasant atmosphere. I liked it so much I had all my dinners there.

Room Tip: Price check the difference for a standard room versus a deluxe and opt for the upgrade.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Pattaya, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times and I go back because the rooms are great, lots of space, lcd television, spacious bath etc..... And a security coded elevator keeping outsider from entering the building. On prior trips i have stayed at this location and have ordered food to be delivered and it was no problem, this time the hotel staff requested a fee on all foods brought in from outside delivery services,I have never seen this done anywhere. The biggest negative about this hotel is the hallways are narrow and the place rooms tends to be very noisy. So if you have late arrivals or partiers returning late you will hear all there noise. There is no pool and a small health club.

Room Tip: request a room around the corner from the elevator, there is one on each floor and those tend to be...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Harolds Hotel? Share your experiences!