“Nice Boutique Hotel -- with a 5 star class” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Gorordo Avenue | Lahug, Cebu City 6000 , Philippines   |
Ranked #5 of 78 Hotels in Cebu City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Philippines
“Nice Boutique Hotel -- with a 5 star class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

Love it. Room very clean and modern, spacious, bed luxurious and soft, bathroom spacious.
Great food at the buffet area, affordable good food at P450 only... that's US$11. Love the idock station, the LCD with skycable connection, free wifi at public area, and free lan cable inside the room.
Service is good, concierge/lobby very accommodating.
The only missing in this almost perfect hotel...."Bedroom slippers"

And the best thing here, price is very affordable for such nice hotel. only P2,500 twotwin bed. around US$50~/night

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Indonesian first
Paranaque, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

During our stay at Harolds Hotel, front desk staff were very accommodating. they assist you in everything you need and provides 24hours service just like any other hotels.

We booked a twin room and 1 suite for our family that's just beside each other so we just had the doors opened to get access from one room to the other. Usually, the suite would cost like 10K plus. But at Harolds, it's only P5,500 and you get a very spacious room which could accommodate a lot of people in the room to be honest. What i liked most is that their rooms gives you a calming feeling especially when you lay down on their bed.. makes you feel relaxed. When you need something from them even if it is very late already they would still accommodate you and has a very fast service.

The food is divine as well as the Highlights bar located at the top floor-it gives you a great place to chill out.

I would definitely recommend this and will definitely be back to stay at Harolds whenever our family comes back to Cebu

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2012

I visited Cebu with a friend for 3D/2N just this month. The trip was booked way ahead and i was dilly dallying about which hotel to book. My friend who works at a travel agency helped me book the hotel. I didn't know what to expect but was really pleasantly surprised. It's just a small hotel compared to the more popular ones but the amenities are great even comparable to 5stars. I liked that fact that it's smaller so the crowd is more manageable. You don't need to bump into a whole bunch of merry travelers when you just want to be quiet. The staff are very nice and friendly. I lost my phone on my first night, they were very helpful in helping me locate it. Though i didn't find it back, i was very thankful for their help. The breakfast buffet is fair enough. There are a lot of nearby places to eat, there's a spa just downstairs on the next building, malls are just nearby, ayala center is walking distance. Overall i really had a very nice relaxing stay. I will definitely come back to this place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

Just got back from an overnight trip in Cebu and was booked in this hotel. Relatively new, the hotel's room was better than average. You get the usual amenities you would expect from a regular business hotel. Their staff were also quite helpful and friendly. I liked the temperature of the room I was booked in, it was neither too hot nor too cold. The first thing I usually do in arriving at a hotel was to adjust the temperature to my liking, but this one, this one was just perfect for me. The bed also looked inviting, unfortunately, being a business trip I ended up spending less hours in bed as I would have liked in the first place. They have the usual complimentary bottle of water, coffee and tea. They have an ironing board in one of the closets, together with the iron, of course. One thing I noticed that is usually absent in other hotels was the flashlight under one of the side tables. Now that would be handy in case of brownouts and other emergencies.

What needs improvement is their internet access. It was too slow for my taste. They also would have to improve their food offerings. I mean, I was in Cebu, but it didn't taste like Cebu. After all, Cebu is also known for their culinary offerings.

Room Tip: Ask for the room with a view!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I am not a regular reviewer.
I travel a great deal, but truthfully I'm just a bit lazy (or otherwise occupied), and if I find a place I truly love I find it difficult to share with the world who might come storming in and destroy the off-the-beaten path tranquility I found so appealing. (Having been informed that this review is being written by a lazy and selfish person, please read on at your own risk.)

So why am I suddenly writing two reviews in the same week? Because on this particular trip -- my first ever venture into the P.I., and specifically to Cebu, I've been staying smack-dab in the middle of the beaten path. And I'm not liking it.

Both the hotels I'm reviewing (first the Quest, now Harolds Hotel) are quite attractive, very new and the on-site staff seems to be perpetually smiling and most of the time sincere in their desire to be of service. But for whatever reason, that service bounces off an invisible wall and the guest is left more than a bit dissatisfied and wondering -- who came up with this "hotel policy". I won't revisit my last review here, but instead present Harolds Hotel's version of this insanity:

In my room, in the minibar, there are several bottles which require a bottle opener. I scoured the room and found no bottle opener. I called the desk to ask if a bottle opener could be provided to me so that, later that night, when I might feel the desire to partake of the minibar, I would be capable of opening its contents. I was told a waiter from the hotel restaurant would be right up to open the bottle for me.

I repeated that I was not interested in having any bottle opened right at that instant, but perhaps later I would be and would enjoy having the freedom to overpay for their minibar at the time of my choosing. The desk told me that "whenever" I decided to open the bottle, I need only call down and a waiter would be immediately sent to my room to assist me.

I had trouble formulating into words the complexities of my flabbergastedness. Did I mention I was flabbergasted? Did I point out I am a "solo" traveler and that there existed the slight possibility that I might have company later in the evening and in that event I might not want to call a "timeout" in order to wait for a waiter to join me in my room to open a bottle of beer for me and then to perhaps return an hour later to open maybe another bottle of beer and so on? I managed to ask if the hotel might "loan" me a bottle opener for the night and I was told that if the waiter gave me his bottle opener, then no one in the restaurant could have their bottles opened and that therefore it was "hotel policy" not to give the guests a bottle opener. I could of course take a taxi to the Mall and buy one for myself. I made a note to do just that. Too bad I won't be able to carry it on the plane with me when I head out on a CebuPacific "no checked bags" flight in search of a Philippine island with more reasonable hotel policies.

And no, I do not exaggerate. If you find yourself in Cebu, come on down to the Harolds Hotel and ask for a bottle opener.

And while you're at it, try to get Guest Services to bring you a couple extra towels. I suggest you search down housekeeping yourself (there is no button on the room phone labeled "housekeeping" in case you're about to suggest that maneuver) and see if you can't bribe her/him out of a towel or two. Having let the "Guest Services" line ring an obnoxious (and yet still unanswered) 20 times--that's where I'm headed now.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Makati City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

What Filipino's love to do is imitate and copy, especially high-end foreign brands. Such is the case with the hotel's logo which is identical to that of the famed Harrod's department store in London. Because of this, I was expecting the worst or expecting some wanna be hotel that doesn't have the originality or creativity to come up with something better. Fortunately, the hotel really surprised me. Although it cannot and never will be able to live up to Harrod’s of London, it lives up to its own brand – imitated or not- by exceeding expectations. The lobby is modern but does have a gaudy feel to it, especially the café area. I think they should have chosen better lighting and better chairs/tables to match the beauty of their rooms.

The Location:

Harold’s is ideally located at the center of everything. If you’re looking to be near the Ayala Mall and the centre of Cebu then this is a good place. Most importantly, it is serendipitously located near my favorite lechon place- Zubuchon.

The Service:

The staff is very courteous and friendly. Cebuanos tend to be more hospitable though than many other provinces/cities in the Philippines – so I’ve heard. Our rooms were always cleaned on time and whenever we needed anything they were more than happy to help. We had to go to Bohol for a few days after we checked out and they allowed us to store our bags with them until we returned. We were also upgraded to their deluxe room which was very nice of the staff especially when upgrades are a rarity anywhere in the Philippines.

The Rooms:

My favorite part about this hotel is the rooms. When you step in, everything is well designed and well thought out. The rooms are spacious and large enough so you don’t feel cramped. The furniture is brand new and modern. The mattress is a sheer delight and will give you a wonderful nights rest coupled with good quality linens. The toiletries are also above average, The bathroom is a proper hotel bathroom, and you feel as if you’re in a 5 star hotel whether you’re showering, sitting on the throne, or hanging out in the bedroom. Even the scent of the room smells 4-5starish.

Food, Bar, Facilities:

When at Harold’s go to their bar on the roof deck. It has a spectacular 180 degree view of Cebu and at night it’s absolutely gorgeous. The drinks are well priced and the food is average but presented well. We didn’t eat at any of their restaurants or have the complimentary breakfast so I can’t comment. There is a tiny gym that fits 2-3 people. Aside from that I think those are there only facilities- but that’s good enough especially for the low rates you’re paying.

Verdict:

I love Harold’s and whenever I’m in Cebu not staying in Mactan, I will always stay here. And so should you. At least once so you can compare it with all the others and be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I must say that Harold's Hotel is a nice hotel. It is so accessible specially if you want to stay near the ayala mall. There were other hotels around the area and Harold's is located near enough the Ayala that it is just a walking distance from the mall. Yet, far enough not to be too busy if you just want a quiet place to relax.Aside from the ayala mall, there were also nearby spa/massage centers. In fact, Thai Boran is just beside the hotel so I visited it twice and the masseurs are all good.

The security is also good. Like the Hotels here in Manila, your access is limited to the floor where you are staying and some common areas. The staff are extra helpful and very charming. Room service is fast. Hotel staff is very trustworthy, I left a pile of money on top of my bed after withdrawing it. When I can back, the whole bed was nicely made and the money was on top of it.

The room is quite spacious. I stayed in a twin sharing room. It has a nice comfort room. By the way, their complimentary toiletries are top of the line so make sure the you enjoy it. The toilet bowl is very clean and very nice. Bathtub is nice too. water pressure is good. Hot and cold water available.

The Hotel can probably improve the a bit on the food. The breakfast is mediocre. Some of the viands were a bit salty.

Overall, I think the hotel is good. But, if you are in a budget this might be too pricey for you.

Room Tip: Try room 502 it has a great view at night. There's also a spa beside the hotel try it. Great val...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Harolds Hotel? Share your experiences!