“Second time lost its charm” 3 of 5 stars

Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location
Plaza Garcia Building | Magallanes St., Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #27 of 77 hotels in Cebu City
Manila, Philippines
“Second time lost its charm”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

We were very happy with this hotel the first time we stayed there last May 23. They only provided the very basic amenities (bed, aircon, TV with cable, soap and shampoo, towel, bathroom with hot water) but that was OK with our family. We paid an extra P10.00 to get a thermos of hot water for our coffee in the morning. There was a nearby grocery store and a bakery where we got bottled mineral water for drinking.

Our family got the Barkada Room, which is good for 4 people, for Php 1,298.00. The place was clean. Because of these, we decided to stay here again after our trip to Bohol. Unfortunately, there were no more Barkada rooms nor Family Executive rooms (their most expensive room because of the presence of a refrigerator; good for 4 people; costs Php 1,398.00) left for May 25 so we agreed to reserve a Family Standard Room, which is good for 3 people and only costs Php 1,198.00. We left for Bohol thinking that the hotel would not be charging us for the extra person in the room anymore.

We were surprised when we got back to find that they were charging us Php 1,598.00 for the Family Standard Room! There was a Php 200.00 charge for the extra person and another Php 200.00 for the extra mattress. Luckily, my dad knows how to speak Cebuano so he and the manager were able to talk to each other about how unfair pricing seemed to be. We would be paying more than what they charged for their more expensive room. In the end, it was settled that we would be charged at the same rate as the Family Executive Room (Php 1,398.00) and that an extra mattress will be provided for our room. My mom and I were a bit miffed about the pricing. We still thought that we should have been charged P1,298.00 only because our room did not have a refrigerator. Oh well, after settling these issues, we decided to put those things behind us and enjoy the rest of our trip in Cebu.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for being a returning guest at our hotel. We acknowledge our front desk's shortfall about not informing you of the extra charges on the mattress and extra person before you settled into the room. Unfortunately, the extra charges are hotel policy.

The good part is, our OIC was able to extend a waiver on the extra charges and in the end you were able to pay only an additional P100.00 instead of P400.00. Just the same, we have instructed our front desk to be wary about giving the necessary information that guests need to know before they are checked into their room.

We hope that this has not dampened your enthusiasm in coming back to our hotel and we promise to do better next time.

98 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

CONs:

*Close to convient stores (7-11, souviners shops etc)
*Walking distance to Magellans Cross and Basillica de Santo Nino
*Staff are really accomidating  and helpful
*Free Wifi
*Aircon

PROs:
* Cockroaches are present!!

• Stayed May 2013
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for the review and we would like to apologize for the unfortunate experience with the cockroach. You were caught at a time schedule that the pest control were conducting their infestation. We do as much as we can to upkeep our hotel and maintain it for our guests. I hope that the next time you visit us, your experience won't be unpleasant any longer.
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Bedding stained with brown spots and smelled so bad. Glasses stained and dirty. Was bitten by something many time during the night. pillows smelled. Only the bathroom was clean. Rest of the place was dusty and dirty.

Bathroom was updated and Clean.

Food poor quality, too salty to eat. Worse than street food. Thank goodness for the 7-11 next door.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Cavite City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. I chose this hotel primarily because of its location, it's a few steps away from everything (Basilica del Sto. Nino, Magellan's Cross,La Fortuna Bakeshop, 7-11, Islands Souvenir etc.). The room is small but clean with very basic amenities. They have a cafe on the second floor. I tried having breakfast there but because no one seems to be manning the place i decided to go out. Wifi is not very strong and is available only in the lobby. If you want a no frills, decent place to stay, then this is the place for you. If you're looking for more, you're in the wrong place.

Room Tip: Since the hotel is located right beside a busy road, rooms at the upper floors are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We learn more about our hotel everytime we hear comments from guests like you who take their valuable time to write about us. You should try our bigger rooms for a more comfortable stay. Our Wifi was really meant to be available at the lobby only. Our restaurant on the 2nd floor is open 24 hours, Maybe you just caught our only attendant manning the place at the wrong time. Next time, we'll make sure to inform her never leave the station unattended.Thank you once again and we hope to see you soon on your return to Cebu City.
hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

The price and location seemed right, so we booked this hotel. The location is right across from the Santo Nino Basilica and Magellan's Cross, so it was easy to see these two major sites of Cebu. And there seems to be a constant queue of taxis out front to take you anywhere else you want to go. But location isn't everything! The front desk staff was polite yet very cold, I did not feel comfortable talking to them and didn't realize I had to leave cash deposit during checkin (returned upon checkout) even though my room was paid in full during the reservation process. I also don't understand hotels that offer Wi-Fi in the lobby but not in the rooms...why not? We have already paid to sleep there, why must we hang out downstairs in a crowded lobby to check our email? Is it because the room is very sterile so we wouldn't want to stay there anyway except to sleep? The water in the bathroom was also a problem, as others have noted, with very weak water pressure, which made it a chore to shower. And when we wanted to check out, we called downstairs for help with our bags but after 15 minutes when no one showed, we ended up going down on our own. Luckily, one of the housekeeping staff happened to be walking by as we entered the hallway, so she helped us get our suitcases into the tiny elevator. We only stayed a night in this hotel, but that one night was more than enough!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your very valuable inputs about our hotel. We will surely inform and remind our front desk to be more friendly and accommodating to all our guests. About the wifi, this add-on service was originally intended for front desk but we decided to extend the service to our guests. We will address this concern with Management. The water problem in the city has really become a persistent problem and complaint not only at our hotel. We are doing our best to find an immediate solution to this concern. You may have caught our staff attending to other guests when you checked out but we will tell our housekeepers to prioritize and quickly respond to checking out guests.

Again we thank you for taking time to write us and we hope that you will consider coming back to see the difference.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

My friend & I checked into this hotel ad we were looking for a budget priced hotel. Only stayed one night. An old & tired room was what we got for our 1000 pesos. The beds although comfortable were covered in old brown (once white) sheets. No blankets but you don't need them with the heat. The room was small, bathroom was clean, small and the shower wasn't very powerful at all. The mirror in the room had suffered some water damage so you could not see yourself clearly in it. The stay was ok. In the morning though at checkout the 2 ladies on the reception desk were very dismissive and it appeared that they did not care at all about us which was very disappointing. For an extra 200 pesos I would suggest you go to one if the other modern hotels around that area.

• Stayed March 2013
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked here because I have previously stayed at their other building - JRG suites - and I thought I would try Plaza Garcia as it would be good to see another part of Cebu.
When I first got there I was pleasantly suprised to see the rooms are bigger than JRG. After having a wander around the area I went back to my room to shower to find there was no water coming out of my shower. Reception sent someone to look at the water who confirmed it wasn't working! I had to go back to reception to find out what was happening and then discovered that there had been a water problem all day. What irritated me is why they didn't tell me that on check-in, so I could be forewarned of a problem, rather than ignore the issue completely. They offered me a bucket of water to shower with which took 40 minutes to arrive! After "showering" I asked to speak to the manager to get an idea how long the problem would likely persist. I was told the manager was out and no-one was in charge in her absence. An hour later when I asked again I was told the manager would not be in that day and no-one was in charge! They eventually got the manager on the phone and I explained that I expected the same facilities as JRG, one being a hot shower facility. Even though the water wasn't their fault I wanted to see how they would deal with it and she was totally uninterested until I said that if the water wasn't back on the next day I wanted to move to JRG or get a refund and move to another hotel. She finally got back to me later in the day with a rubbish story that once my money was paid they couldn't organise a refund as it was all electronic and they couldn't move me to JRG either which all made me feel that once they'd got my money they weren't really bothered. I did receive a complementary breakfast the next morning as a gesture of goodwill but I can't get over the feeling that once they'd got my money I was stuck.
Next morning I had some water pressure but no hot water! I checked out 3 rooms and 1 had good water pressure but only cold water, 1 had bad water pressure and only cold water and one had hot water but the pressure was so bad that with the shower head hooked on the wall the water didn't come out more than and inch from the wall! It might seem a bit petty to moan about the lack of a hot shower, however having stayed in JRG previously I expected the same standard - in another budget hotel I probably wouldn't have minded so much.
I think the rooms are actually quite nice and not bad value for money BUT if you like a shower that works I suggest that you check the water pressure in your room before you pay.
Also the internet only works in the lobby and coffee shop but it still says on their website "free wi-fi in all areas of the hotel" which is misleading. I did point this out to the manager but it still hasn't been changed. It's a small point but all these little things add up.
The staff in general acted reasonably well, given that the water problem and broken shower facilities weren't entirely their fault but I was left feeling generally unhappy overall which is a shame as I liked Sampaguita JRG.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location? Share your experiences!