“Disappointed by my experience” 3 of 5 stars

Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location
Plaza Garcia Building | Magallanes St., Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #25 of 75 hotels in Cebu City
London, United Kingdom
“Disappointed by my experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked here because I have previously stayed at their other building - JRG suites - and I thought I would try Plaza Garcia as it would be good to see another part of Cebu.
When I first got there I was pleasantly suprised to see the rooms are bigger than JRG. After having a wander around the area I went back to my room to shower to find there was no water coming out of my shower. Reception sent someone to look at the water who confirmed it wasn't working! I had to go back to reception to find out what was happening and then discovered that there had been a water problem all day. What irritated me is why they didn't tell me that on check-in, so I could be forewarned of a problem, rather than ignore the issue completely. They offered me a bucket of water to shower with which took 40 minutes to arrive! After "showering" I asked to speak to the manager to get an idea how long the problem would likely persist. I was told the manager was out and no-one was in charge in her absence. An hour later when I asked again I was told the manager would not be in that day and no-one was in charge! They eventually got the manager on the phone and I explained that I expected the same facilities as JRG, one being a hot shower facility. Even though the water wasn't their fault I wanted to see how they would deal with it and she was totally uninterested until I said that if the water wasn't back on the next day I wanted to move to JRG or get a refund and move to another hotel. She finally got back to me later in the day with a rubbish story that once my money was paid they couldn't organise a refund as it was all electronic and they couldn't move me to JRG either which all made me feel that once they'd got my money they weren't really bothered. I did receive a complementary breakfast the next morning as a gesture of goodwill but I can't get over the feeling that once they'd got my money I was stuck.
Next morning I had some water pressure but no hot water! I checked out 3 rooms and 1 had good water pressure but only cold water, 1 had bad water pressure and only cold water and one had hot water but the pressure was so bad that with the shower head hooked on the wall the water didn't come out more than and inch from the wall! It might seem a bit petty to moan about the lack of a hot shower, however having stayed in JRG previously I expected the same standard - in another budget hotel I probably wouldn't have minded so much.
I think the rooms are actually quite nice and not bad value for money BUT if you like a shower that works I suggest that you check the water pressure in your room before you pay.
Also the internet only works in the lobby and coffee shop but it still says on their website "free wi-fi in all areas of the hotel" which is misleading. I did point this out to the manager but it still hasn't been changed. It's a small point but all these little things add up.
The staff in general acted reasonably well, given that the water problem and broken shower facilities weren't entirely their fault but I was left feeling generally unhappy overall which is a shame as I liked Sampaguita JRG.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Everytime I visit Cebu, It's always be the main purpose to go Basilica Church to visit Sr. Santo Nino. Since I was a kid, Sto. Nino will always be the main part of our cebu trip. Our day won't complete without visiting to the Sr. Santo Nino image and attend mass.
So staying in here is really an excellent choice. The Basilica Shrine is just walking distance. It's really near. And the famous Magellan Cross is also 2minutes walking distance from here.

Having a cheaper rates, don't expect for free breakfast. But they serve meals on their Cafe with affordable rates as well. There are also a good place near on the area for you to dine.
If you feel to buy some stuffs for Cebu delicacies and some souvenirs and giveawyas, Island Souvenirs is a great shop wherein it just beside the hotel so you won't go too far. If you like to buy some more cheaper and plenty of choice to choose from, you may go to Prince Warehouse club, its one block away from here. There are also near supermarket/grocery store near the area. If you like to grab some snack in the middle of the night, you don't have to worry, 711 is just beside to the hotel.
If you want to go to the park, you may go to the Fort Santiago - you may just walk for 5minutes to get there.

All in All . I'm looking forward to stay again in here in my next visit.
Location : Superb
Staff : Friendly and very courteous
Price : Affordable and worth to stay with
Wifi : Good. They got wifi inside the room.
Rooms : Small but clean. Aircon is good. TV - lots of channel - cable but some channel can't be accessed. It says that "Contact cable subscriber ..."
Toilet / Bathroom : small but clean. The shower has hot and cold. It took you bit long to finish to take a bath because the water were to slow to come out.
Transporation : Very accessible. You can get ANYTIME for metered Taxi and even ride with public transporation just few steps from the hotel

I definitely stay again in here in my next trip to Cebu and I will recommend this to my family and friends and to you guys. Great job.

Room Tip: TIP: - If you want to stay, You have to call the hotel and booked ahead especially during peak seas...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your insights about our hotel, its neighborhood and our location. We look forward to your return to Cebu and to our hotel. Thank you too for sharing your experience to your friends and readers.
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We booked a matrimonial room good for 2 persons. The room is very basic with towels, hangers, cabinet, tv and air-condition. They only provide small soap so you should bring your own toothpaste and shampoo. The room was spacious and has a good view from the glass window overlooking the Sto. Nino Church and the City Hall. The room look so dull because of it's lighting set-up. There were no lampshades provided so either you keep the lights open the whole night or keep the television on to have some source of light while sleeping. (I can't sleep if it's too dark)

Another thing is, their website says that they have a wifi connection in rooms but... well that's not the case when we got there. You can only access the wifi when you are in the lobby. So I have to go and stay at the lobby until 12 midnight to check my emails and upload some pictures.

Overall, I will recommend this hotel to those who are not picky. You just get what you pay for but could be better.

Pros:
Near tourist and historical attractions
Cheap Taxi fare to Cebu International Airport (We only paid Php198)
Access to public transportation

Cons:
P500.00 Deposit Fee (You can get it after you check-out)
Bystanders and people sleeping outside the building at night. (Security on duty 24/7)
Wifi Connection is limited.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review of our hotel. Your views and comments have been heard and we hope to address your concerns to management as soon as we can- especially on the lighting and the Wifi issue.

We hope to see you again some time soon.
Baguio, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed at Sampaguita suites - the location is fantastic - 1 minute walk from Santo Nino chapel and 5 minutes walk on the other side from the fort and garden. wow! I liekd the fact taht I could jsut walk over to the chapel and Magellans cross anytime - early morning....

Our air con in the room was good. However, the view from the window was only of a wall and another roof! It is better to stay on the higher floors. We also had some trouble with the tv (it is a bit old fashioned and the brightness was low!). The restaurant (room service) is rather good - they got us dishes even as late as midnight. And the free morning breakfast was pretty good (included in the room price)

Rooms do not have kettle, but when the kitchen is open, they can give you hot water (and you can make your coffee or buy from them)

On the whole, good value for money.

If the hotel fixes the tv and adds some decorations to room walls, it will be even better.

Room Tip: Take a room on the higher floors (4th and above) - they have a better view. Form our 2nd floor room...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review and guest inputs. We will take your suggestions into serious consideration especially on the wall decors for aesthetic ambience. Also, we will take up with management about upgrading the TV sets which have been put to good use for some time now.

Again, our sincerest gratitude and we hope to see you again soon.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I have been to Cebu twice and stayed in this hotel twice!
Basic rooms....alot of upgrades necessary.TV sets are antiques,beddings pre-war,toilets small and a squeeze, cafe with limited menu.Some decent eateries nearby.
Okay for those who intend to visit touristy spots nearby.Pier to bohol island nearby.
The reason why I stayed there twcie ...13 days/9 days...was the staff there.I was so taken up with them and became fond of all of them.That made up for all the shortcomings of what a decnt hotel should offer.
The bunch of service boys were just great, namely CHAN, JAMES ,E-MAY,the security guard RAMIL and receptionist JOANNE.
I enjoyed my stay there,thanks to all the staff and especially those mentioned above.
They are prized and i do hope the owners will take notice that they are a good bunch of faithful employees,and take notice of their 'real assets' and keep them employed there happily.
Otherwise, there are many choices hotels with much better amenities overall and good priced too.

Room Tip: higher floors...........less noise and better views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for your generous rating of our staff. Rest assured that they will be complimented for making your stay pleasant.

While our hotel may not be the best accommodation in Cebu, we pride ourselves to offer the following qualities that are unmatched:

a. location - as you have mentioned, we are proximate to tourist destinations, as well as to the sea travel port of Cebu;
b. price - while some of our rooms maybe be small, our single room is the most affordable in the market. Unlike other hotels, we don't charge extra for the basic comforts such as 24 hrs air-conditioning and cable tv, hot and cold shower, toiletries and wifi. Furthermore, our housekeeping service is available 24/7. That is why a lot of people prefer us, especially those who need log term accommodations;
c. accommodations - we have a wide range of room types, from family to single occupancy. Our single occupancy rooms are really the smallest, but the most affordable of all our room accommodations. In terms of appliances, we are not proud of our CRT televisions, but it works, and serves the purposes of our guests. Our beds and linens may not be first class, but they are sturdy and comfortable.

Nevertheless, we thank you for your comments. We will take these as suggestions when we upgrade our facilities.
We look forward to serving you in your next visit.
Quezon, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

The best thing about the hotel is its location. Almost all of Cebu City's must visit places are a short distance away. Its very accessible you can get a metered cab or ride public transportation a few steps from the hotel. They had a promo for free 15 minute massage from the spa on the 2nd floor. Best value for backpackers like us!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Thank you for your inarguable review. Your description of our hotel holds the true essence of our continuing success. Location and price is the name of our game, alongside good hospitality, maintenance and housekeeping.

Thank you again.
Pasig, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The place is great! It's really near tourist destinations. The staff are very helpful.

Wifi is only available in the lobby area and is not even good at all.
If you're not picky about internet connections, this place is a good deal.

Elevator can only accommodate a few heads.

Right next to it is a souvenir shop for shirts and other clothing.

You can't really go wrong with Sampaguita Suite especially if you're on a limited budget.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Thank you for sending a review of our hotel. The concern about the Wifi has already been attended to since the time that you came and stayed with us last August. I suggest that you visit us again to see the difference. We always make sure that we listen to our guest's concerns. We aim to do and better serve our guests as much as we can.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location? Share your experiences!