“great!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 75 hotels in Cebu City
Davao City, Philippines
“great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

we've stayed here just last week ( sept 26-29). and this is what I can say about the hotel.

ROOM: (we stayed at the matrimonial room) small but clean, there's a closet and a cable TV in it, two clean glasses on the side of the TV and a side table. its very basic. the spaces in between furniture is very narrow (two people can't fit). but its forgivable. we don't sleep walk so bigger room and spacious area is not needed :)

BATHROOM: small but clean, The shower is hot and cold BUT, it will take you forever to finish bathing since the water is to shy to come out :( (we're on the 6th floor so i guess the water is having a hard time going up to that floor).

AIRCON: Satisfactory, the only thing is that it's quite dirty.

LOBBY: not that spacious but very presentable, wifi is also accessible on this area only.

SERVICE: for a budget hotel, the service was satisfactory. they helped us carry our luggage. oh the room has a telephone, and whenever you want something just call them, they will answer immediately.Upon checking in(by the way, the check in process is fast), we immediately unpacked our things and left straight to crown regency for the sky adventure. we left our room in a total chaos, bags opened, TV turned on, and some valuables on the bed. upon arriving at 7 or 8pm, we noticed that the towels were already on the bed, (it wasn't there before we left). but our bags, the TV and some valuables are still right there were we left them. :). they also cleaned the room and changed the beddings and towels twice. (we stayed for 3 nights). and security guard was very friendly :)

BREAKFAST: its not included on the room tariff but its definitely worth the money! the beef tapa was excellent, and for less than 200 pesos, you can already enjoy a mouthful breakfast.

LOCATION: its walking distance to PLAZA INDEPENDENCIA, MALACAñANG SA SUGBU, FORT SAN PEDRO, MAGELLAN'S CROSS, BASILICA, CITY HALL, supermart (but we never get the chance to go there) , SKY ADVENTURE @ CROWN REGENCY, SHAMROCK PASALUBONG CENTER,HERITAGE PARK, CASA GORORDO, AND YAP ANCESTRAL HOME is just a ride away, (you have to walk a few blocks for the last three tourist sites).
the place is also very accessible to public vehicles, ayala and SM is just 2 rides away. BPI and ISLAND SOUVENIR is just 50 steps away, landbank ATM is just 10 steps away :)

i really loved our stay here, its budget and location friendly. the hotel is not all good though,
the front desk staff (the one in pony tail) asked us (28th,around 11am) "hantod kanus-a jud d.i mo maam?"(until when are you staying here?) when we decided to stay for another night (our reservation is for the 26th to 28th only) instead of spending the last night at mactan (our flight is 7am) it sounded foul to me, looks like she doesn't want us to stay there anymore. but i let that go, the hotel has many positive sides, and i don't want to start my day pissed. I don't understand why she asked that until we checked out early in the morning(4 'oclock) the next day. a couple was sleeping on the lobby. the Security said that they arrived late that night and the hotel was fully booked, so they have no other choice but to spend the rest of the night in the lobby until someone checks out.
:) we just loved our stay there that's why we opted to extend another day. I hope the couple (in the lobby) we're not super pissed.

all in all our stay in this hotel was great. I would definitely recommend this to my family and friends.

TIPS: inform the front desk ahead of time for possible extension, i'm still guilty for the couple who slept in the lobby :( though it was not really my fault.

Another tip, have the beef tapa for breakfast (98php only) it is served with two sunny side up eggs and a cup of rice, its really delicious!!!

recommendations to the hotel management,
>please include the aircon when cleaning :), its a bit dusty.
>the breakfast will be more great if the drinks (tea, coffee, hot choco) is included already. :)

Room Tip: some rooms don't have windows, so ask first if your room has it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Thank you for the forgiving remarks and very generous rating that you gave our hotel and staff. We will take your comments and suggestions in proper perspective and improve further our services for the good of our hotel and especially our guests.

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great location for a budget hotel if you are going to Cebu for your CFO seminar because its just a few blocks from the CFO Office and walking distance from Pier 1. The hotel is also very very near the Sto. Nino Church and Magellan's cross, La Nueva Supermarket is just 2 blocks away if you have to buy some essentials or want to eat (they have a foodcourt and salad bar). Jollibee and Chowking is near also.
I stayed for 2 nights, check-in was a breeze but when they showed me my room i was a bit disappointed because its too small and when i had a shower, i cant move around. I only realized after my shower that they didnt provide me with a towel so i had to improvise and wipe myself with my spare shirt. I asked for a towel when i went down and they provided me with it. It was a long day at the seminar, i only had 30 mins of sleep because i was travelling that night so i was looking forward to going back to my room to sleep but when i inserted my key, it wont open. I dragged myself back to the elevator, down to the receptionist and told her the key was not working so they sent me up together with 1 of their assistants and he taught me how to open the door of my room. You insert the key, turn it and if it wont go the whole way, pull the doorknob to turn the key all the way through. If you encounter the same problem (room 610) then this is how you do it.
It was very quiet, the view from my room is breathtaking at night, bed is comfortable, aircon, tv, telephone and hot and cold shower is working like a charm. I slept like a baby. The following day i had my medical at Cebu Doctors and the staff went out of their way to show me the directions and what jeepney number to ride. Very friendly staff specially the evening guard who offered an umbrella for me when it was raining and i had to go to the supermarket.
Check-out was a breeze and i want to thank the staff for their friendliness and warm smiles

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Thank you for the generous review despite of your inconvenient and unpleasant experience with the towel and room door. That's very kind of you. We will make sure that the door knob is replaced. We're happy to hear that you still managed to appreciate our friendly staff and their hospitality. Once again, thank you
cavite
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

We are group of nine when we go there,the place was ok..the only hazzled we encountered there was the driver of our service a certain"martin with starex van" didnt showed up on on the day we should havea tour on mactan..so beware of this man and avoid transacting him when he offer his van on you...because this i think is looking for a highest bidder! This man usually waiting for a customer at SAmpaguita suites plaza garcia..d xa ok kausap baka paasahin nya lng kau...i forgot his plate # but is start ta letter G and the # is 129..the security guard on the hotels knows and i report this matter to them..tnx SAmpaguita we enjoyed our stay in your hotel..

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the information. We will make sure that we identify this person and investigate the matter. We do not condone such individuals to service guests of the hotel. What we can assure you though is that he is not an employee of the hotel. We have our own shuttle service driver that we utilize for special tour services. Again, we thank you.
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

The hotel is walking distance from the Magellan's Cross, and several other tourist sports. It is also accessible to supermarkets, transportation and restaurants. The room is clean and comfortable. The view is a bit boring and many people are outside but it's fine. The staff are also nice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Thank you so much for a candid review of our hotel. We hope to see you come back to our hotel. God bless you always.
Davao City, Davao City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My friends & I just stayed overnight in this hotel. With its new building, you can appreciate its cleanliness. The staff are also very accommodating. Aside from their reasonable room rates, what i like most about this hotel is that its just a walking distance from the Basilica de Sto.Nino church & the historical Magellan's cross. This is not a luxury hotel so you cannot expect them to have ample space for parking lot or a huge lobby but if you are on a tight budget and just wanted to have a place to sleep without sacrificing the need for comfort & security, then check this place. I had no problems whatsoever when we stayed here & was always recommending it to my family & friends.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Thank you so much for mentioning how clean our hotel can be and what great location our hotel is situated in. Truly, you get value for your money at our hotel, not to mention, our friendly staff who always make you feel welcome and at home in Cebu!

See you again soon.
Binan City, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel a few days ago with my friends. the rooms are ok for those who just need a bed to sleep on at night. there's free wifi at the lobby althoughi wish they had the courtesy to put it in their rooms as well. the lobby is tiny and only has 7 seats so it gets crowded easily. the hotel only provides one tiny bar of soap which wouldn't last a single shower. there are no shampoos, toothbrushes, conditioners, etc so bring toiletries if staying there. we got the family executive room with a fridge but the fridge is broken so we hadto settle for warm water and soda. i'm am not impressed with the location though. yes. it is just accross the magellams cross, the sto nino basilica, and plaza sugbu. it is walking distance to other sites like cebu cathedral, plaza independencia, fort san pedro, casa gorordo museum, yap-sandiego ancestral house, colon street, and heritage of cebu monument. but the location is very crowded. mostly by beggars and peddlers of souvenirs like keychains, fridge magnets, etc. beware because they will surround you and force you to buy from them despite saying no several times. my friend's bag even got slashed in this area. good thing nothing was taken. to think that the area is just accross the city hall. so as a conclusion, if you have the cash, go somewher else. if you're on a tight budget, you can stay here but be alert and mindful of your belongings.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thank you for your comments. We regret to hear about your friend's sad experience but I don't think that that incident did not happen inside the hotel. As for the fridge, all you could have done was ask for a change of appliance or room and we could have obliged.

The peddler situation has been a persistent problem for us which is not our doing but the local city government's. As much as we want to get them out, it is more of a social problem than internal.

We do not deny that we ARE a budget hotel, but we do try our best to make our guests happy by giving them our friendly smiles and warm greetings on a bad day, or make them feel at home with a help from our courteous staff, which unfortunately, was not at all mentioned.

But we're still glad to hear about your feedback to push ourselves more and strive harder to please our guests.
Hefei, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

I was at first a little confused with the choice of a hotel considering that I hadn't been to Cebu before. However, Sampaguita Suites Plaza Garcia was nothing short of a perfect choice!
It is ideally located literally in the middle of EVERYTHING! It is barely a stone's throw from the Historical and spiritual area that is Basilica del Santo Nino, in eye-shot of Magellan's cross, and only a short walk from the buzzing activities in the heart of the city.

The facilities are quite comfy and the food in the restaurant is delectable.
My favourite aspect of Sampaguita is the STAFF! Man OH Man, I was certainly reminded what courtesy is after leaving Hong Kong (where there's much left desired from local hoteliers). The Staff at Sampaguita opens the door for every entry and exit, grabs your luggage to take it directly to your room, and greets you with a smile each time you pass through the lobby!
Cebu will most likely see me again...and Sampaguita will definitely be my hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Thank you so much for the very kind words, most especially for the staff service. It vindicates the bad comments that they get sometimes. With your good comments, all the hard work that they pour into their jobs pays off. We're so pleased to know how happy you are with their hospitality. This is a showing of a true blue Cebuano culture- sweet and affectionate.

Again, it is our pleasure to have served you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Been to Sampaguita Suites-Plaza Garcia Location? Share your experiences!