TRAVEL ALERT: TYPHOON HAIYAN—HOW TO HELP More info

Golden Valley Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   155A Pelaez Street, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #21 of 54 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Cebu Island, Philippines
“Best of the budget hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I like to stay in Mactan Island in the 5 star hotels but on this trip to Cebu I had the full compliment of my Philippino family. Yep kids, mother in law, sister in laws the lot, 8 of us. So I had to settle for something affordable. Checking trip advisor helped with the many options available but we asked our local taxi driver for his idea. He suggested the Golden Valley hotel which I had seen on TA but had few reviews.
So glad we did, it was ridiculously cheap and the quality of services and building was surpassed by the price. We arrived at 6.30 am and we were greeted professionally and warmly. Check in was simple and quick. I chose to check the rooms first and was satisfied with what I saw. No flatscreen TV but thats okay, we're here to shop, not watch Telly. The rooms were a decent size, nothing fancy but clean. A few chipped tiles in the bathroom but hey for 30 bucks what do expect.
The area around the hotel is not attractive, typical Philippine landscape, tin roofs and millions of telephone wires. Close to shops and other amenities, so no problems there. Easy transport options. Breakfast was a huge surprise, it was the first budget hotel breakfast I enjoyed in the Philippines in 7 years, I had a double serving. The food staff were well dressed and attentive.
There were a few foreigners here in the short time I was in the lobby, quite surprising there weren't more reviews. Oh Internet is free and worked well in the room and the lobby. I am in the room at this moment as I right the review. For those who have complained, seriously go to the Raddison Blu if you want 5 star. For me 9/10 hard to find fault.

• Stayed October 2012

30 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Walla Walla, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

In March 2011. I found Golden Valley Hotel on the internet
I checked the photos of each room and the prices of the rooms
Their site on the internet was very easy to see each room and the style and design of the rooms
I stayed there for 5 days in April, 2011. The staff was very nice and polite. The rooms were very clean and looked excellent. The hotel is in walking distance to Joliee"s and drug store. I walked over to Jolibbe's during the night and the people in Cebu was very nice to me
In fact I had to extend my stay and Golden Valley Hotel worked it out so I could stay the extra 6 days more.
The Employee's were very nice toward me I had no problems at all I am going to stay there again in April 2013. Thank-you Golden Vallet Hotel. Wifi worked excellent on my computer
and it was free.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I really had no choice but to stay here because I had to stay in cebu for 2 nights with limited money. I really had the lowest expectations because I knew that this is a budget hotel and it STILL disappointed me. The rooms felt unclean, the tiles at the bathroom were worn down. The snacks and chips displayed at the side of the TV were all for sale. Even the bottled water was not complimentary. They shouldn't put those things in the room if they are not complimentary it makes it look even cheaper. The food is terrible. I only ate 1 time and didn't get the breakfast the 2nd morning. The location is okay. It is at the center of town near major roads so it is easier to commute around. The only good thing I can say for this hotel is the very friendly and helpful staff. They know everything about cebu so ask them about anything and they give good tips. Overall, I don't think I will return except maybe because of budget reasons again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dipolog
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

The location is quite near in the heart of the city but when nightfall comes the street is dark. A security guard is only guarding the hotel doorstep not the main entrance.. the room price is very high and not worth it, the room design is old, even though its renovated but still not worth it. They boasts their wifi but you have to pay for it. i love their cafe, even though the serving time is long but the food is great with elegant plating.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

We went during peak season--Sinulog Festival this January--so we weren't surprised that rates are high. We paid more than P5,000 for a two-night stay (double occupancy).

For the price, the room was the ugliest we had ever been to. It's cramped and the lighting was very dim. The airconditioner was working fine, as well as the TV, but their wifi was a bit sluggish and you had to be issued a password every single day for every single device you use (hence you have to call the front desk every now and then, which is such a hassle). The bathroom was clean; there was running water plus hot and cold shower.

Breakfast was terrible not because of the food per se (which was, by the way, a little bland but livable) but because they served only three variations EVER. You had to choose between having corned beef, dried fish, and another one I forgot every single day. The coffee was great though, and the ambiance of their cafe is also good.

The location, as I said, was great since you only had to walk to the end of the block to see a portion of the parade.

We also found their airport pickup a bit ostentatious: P550 one-way.

When we were making an inquiry online and thru text, we were asking if their cheapest AC room for 2 people was available--to which they replied no. They had said though that the room next to our choice in terms of price (naturally it's pricier) was available.

We then tried transacting using my companion's number and asked if they had an available AC bed for a single person, and asked if we could just pay for the Extra Person fee, to which they replied they had no available room for singles, but that they have a double AC which was THE SAME ROOM WE HAD INQUIRED ABOUT USING MY NUMBER.

Which meant only one thing: they were trying to bump us in the next pricier room. We did get the double AC but not the pickup service (we hired a cab and we paid P290 from the airport to the hotel).

Overall: it's a pretty decent place with all the basic amenities, but it doesn't offer value for money at all. We opted for it just because all the cheaper ones we inquired from were already fully booked. So this one for convenience's sake.

• Stayed January 2012
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

if you'll be sightseeing most of your stay in cebu, on a budget and don't mind small windows then this is the hotel for you. the rates are pretty reasonable, the room is relatively clean although i sighted a cockroach ONCE in the bathroom. the first night, we didn't have hot water for bathing. the guy at the reception said the hotel uses solar power to heat the water. since it was raining a few days before our stay the water wasn't heated. not sure if it was true or not but we got hot water the morning after. toiletries were provided but no sleepers. the room was clean, no questionable stains on the bed sheets nor odd smell, the bed was suitable to sleep in; not rock hard. the hotel is located on a busy street so transportation will not be problem. although i don't recommend walking around the area late at night. the free breakfast is good, you have a choice of typical filipino breakfast served with egg and your choice of juice or coffee. we stayed on the second floor so the free wifi connection was fast. you just have to ask for the password from the front desk.

Room Tip: choose a room with windows
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

im from the UK,i stayed in this hotel for a full month in June 2011, and again in November 2011. i must say i enjoyed my stay there,the staff where really helpful and pleasant,my wife was with me and we had no complaits other than my fried egg was cold a few times in the morning breakfast.and the odd cockroach in the bathroom,im not used to roaches coz we dont see them very often in the UK but it didnt put me off going back the second time.you pay your money and take your choice.the reception staff where very pleasant and helpfull, there was the odd glitch with the wi fi but overall it was fine. the rooms where clean and cleaned regularly. outside the street was very busy traffic wise but thats to be expected in a busy city,we walked around the streets without any bother from anyone,we went shopping in the local malls,no problems there either,we also took a taxi to the Iarger Malls,Ayala & sm mall,the fare was around 90 or 100 peso,futher up town where we purchased a few things,the.taxi to and from the airport was 190 pesos for the 'white' taxi,the yellow airport taxi was more expensive at 360 pesos.i would stay there again no problem,if im back in Cebu thats where i'll stay,better the devil you know i say. (if you want to buy fresh fruit the stalls/sellers are just seconds from the hotel on foot,we bought bananas and mangos there.)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!