“Great location, but apart from that, it offers no other value for money.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Valley Hotel

You added Golden Valley Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Valley Hotel
2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   155A Pelaez Street, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Ranked #22 of 60 Cebu City B&B and Inns
“Great location, but apart from that, it offers no other value for money.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2012 via mobile

We went during peak season--Sinulog Festival this January--so we weren't surprised that rates are high. We paid more than P5,000 for a two-night stay (double occupancy).

For the price, the room was the ugliest we had ever been to. It's cramped and the lighting was very dim. The airconditioner was working fine, as well as the TV, but their wifi was a bit sluggish and you had to be issued a password every single day for every single device you use (hence you have to call the front desk every now and then, which is such a hassle). The bathroom was clean; there was running water plus hot and cold shower.

Breakfast was terrible not because of the food per se (which was, by the way, a little bland but livable) but because they served only three variations EVER. You had to choose between having corned beef, dried fish, and another one I forgot every single day. The coffee was great though, and the ambiance of their cafe is also good.

The location, as I said, was great since you only had to walk to the end of the block to see a portion of the parade.

We also found their airport pickup a bit ostentatious: P550 one-way.

When we were making an inquiry online and thru text, we were asking if their cheapest AC room for 2 people was available--to which they replied no. They had said though that the room next to our choice in terms of price (naturally it's pricier) was available.

We then tried transacting using my companion's number and asked if they had an available AC bed for a single person, and asked if we could just pay for the Extra Person fee, to which they replied they had no available room for singles, but that they have a double AC which was THE SAME ROOM WE HAD INQUIRED ABOUT USING MY NUMBER.

Which meant only one thing: they were trying to bump us in the next pricier room. We did get the double AC but not the pickup service (we hired a cab and we paid P290 from the airport to the hotel).

Overall: it's a pretty decent place with all the basic amenities, but it doesn't offer value for money at all. We opted for it just because all the cheaper ones we inquired from were already fully booked. So this one for convenience's sake.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

if you'll be sightseeing most of your stay in cebu, on a budget and don't mind small windows then this is the hotel for you. the rates are pretty reasonable, the room is relatively clean although i sighted a cockroach ONCE in the bathroom. the first night, we didn't have hot water for bathing. the guy at the reception said the hotel uses solar power to heat the water. since it was raining a few days before our stay the water wasn't heated. not sure if it was true or not but we got hot water the morning after. toiletries were provided but no sleepers. the room was clean, no questionable stains on the bed sheets nor odd smell, the bed was suitable to sleep in; not rock hard. the hotel is located on a busy street so transportation will not be problem. although i don't recommend walking around the area late at night. the free breakfast is good, you have a choice of typical filipino breakfast served with egg and your choice of juice or coffee. we stayed on the second floor so the free wifi connection was fast. you just have to ask for the password from the front desk.

Room Tip: choose a room with windows
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

im from the UK,i stayed in this hotel for a full month in June 2011, and again in November 2011. i must say i enjoyed my stay there,the staff where really helpful and pleasant,my wife was with me and we had no complaits other than my fried egg was cold a few times in the morning breakfast.and the odd cockroach in the bathroom,im not used to roaches coz we dont see them very often in the UK but it didnt put me off going back the second time.you pay your money and take your choice.the reception staff where very pleasant and helpfull, there was the odd glitch with the wi fi but overall it was fine. the rooms where clean and cleaned regularly. outside the street was very busy traffic wise but thats to be expected in a busy city,we walked around the streets without any bother from anyone,we went shopping in the local malls,no problems there either,we also took a taxi to the Iarger Malls,Ayala & sm mall,the fare was around 90 or 100 peso,futher up town where we purchased a few things,the.taxi to and from the airport was 190 pesos for the 'white' taxi,the yellow airport taxi was more expensive at 360 pesos.i would stay there again no problem,if im back in Cebu thats where i'll stay,better the devil you know i say. (if you want to buy fresh fruit the stalls/sellers are just seconds from the hotel on foot,we bought bananas and mangos there.)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

i booked with agoda for me and me wife 2 person but the hotel charge an other 400 piso per night and 200 extra for the breakfast. the rooms are clean but only the room the bad room not the internet is free and free of function that means it works for 5 minutes and then it stops. Reaction from the very smiley but very incompetent staff ...sorry. about the nois in the room and the location i don't want to remember on this ...in any case keep away from this hotel !!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Tacloban, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012

This hotel is one of the best "value for the money" deals available. Nondescript but comfortable. Staff very accommodating and pleasant. Rooms small but very well kept and stocked. Breakfast included with room was basic but delicious. Location is close to shopping and dining. If you want luxury and pampering...you should look elsewhere. But if you want a quiet, inexpensive, convenient place to spend the night...look no further. Would recommend to all looking for value. Will definitely stay there again on future trips to Cebu.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
parts unknow
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I went to this hotel only for lunch, but was examining this place as a potential venue for our wedding reception. During the lunch and subsequent tour of the reception areas, I was convinced this wasn't the place to stay or have a reception, I would not recomend it for lunch or even a potty break if you're walking on the street.

First off on entering the hotel restraunt, we we the only ones there. That should have been a sign. Well, my wife got fish and I got some meat dish. My meal was tasteless, and my wife got food poisoning about 30 minutes after finishing the meal. The restroom at the back of the restraunt had roaches. Dead, but the restroom was adjacent the kitchen. God only knows.

A few other things that bugged me. I asked for a mix drink, and was told they didnt have the particular liquor. I then asked for another, and was told the same. So compromised on a glass of wine, which they have listed by the glass. I was told after the waiter went to the back that the wine could only be sold by the bottle. I finally decided to just eat thirsty. But becasue the food was so tasteless I didnt force myself to eat it so saving my thirst, however drinking that tasteless food down with a margarita or white wine would have been nice.

So we went on the tour of the reception, although by then i had already decided that we would have to cater out if allowed, nevertheless went on the tour since we had been driven by taxi there. And let me tell you, there was alot to be desifre here as well. Just seems like the entire hotel staff and managment is lazy and dont care for customer service nor pride of their business. The person giving the tour gave conflicting prices and occupancy compared to the front desk person, who then suggested we call back for another person to give specifics. By then I was only asking questions for entertainment to see how bad they really were.

The surrounding area of this hotel is horrible and dirty overcrowded. I saw a rat the size of a cat in the middle of the day, about 20 ft from the hotel. This place has no saving qualities. I am glad I decided not to stay here as I had originally planned.

This place doesnt deserve a star and should not even have a listing.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere from from here and surrounding location
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

Delicious food & Hotel staff is very accommodating , I enjoyed my stay,so I extend for another night...I was one of participants in a seminar & I was so happy that even the security guard on duty & waiter were willing to help me practice my dance number for my seminar's activity, that was great...and in the resto all the staff were friendly and cheerful...i'll be back next year...

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Golden Valley Hotel? Share your experiences!