“Terrible stay in what used to be one of my preferred hotels in Cebu” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Prince Hotel

Save Saved
You added Golden Prince Hotel to your Saves list
Golden Prince Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Acacia Street | Barangay Kamputhaw, Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #27 of 77 Hotels in Cebu City
Malolos City
“Terrible stay in what used to be one of my preferred hotels in Cebu”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

The first time I stayed in this hotel, we were upgraded to a 2-bedroom suite. I was very happy with almost everything. Hence, I gladly said yes when asked whether I'd like to be booked here for my recent stay. This time I was booked in one of their superior rooms. It was a total disappointment. I'd understand if amenities would differ according to room rates. But cleanliness?

Upon checking into my room I noticed strands of hair all over the room. I thus requested that my room be cleaned even if I had not stayed yet for even 10 minutes. Later that evening, I noticed ants, lots of them, in the toilet. I then requested to be transferred to another room. There were no ants in the new room but still cleanliness was below par. Not only that. It seems that whoever took care of the room's layout didn't have the slightest concern for the peope who would use the room. For example, the toilet paper holder was about 2 meters away from the toilet bowl. One has to stand and walk from the toilet bowl in order to reach it. The aircon is too far away from the bed that it could be very warm at night.

There is notice about construction work going on till 9pm. Fine. But I was awakened by pounding sounds at midnight and it took a while before this was stopped. Service is so slow. I asked for an extra roll of tissue and it took almost an hour for it to arrive. I had the breakfast buffet in their resto and asked the waiter if there was still watermelon. He apologized and said they had run out. 5 minutes later when I went back to the buffet table there was a platter of watermelon. One slice tasted of onion though. Obviously the knife used to slice it was used to cut onion too. The spoon I got had traces of food in it. Obviously not washed well.

The only good thing about this hotel is that staff are courteous. Accessibility-wise it's close to ayala mall and to the business district. Still, these are not good enough reasons to come back.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Quezon City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

It is a cozy place to stay but with limitations (no swimming pool or fitness center). Wifi connectivity is not consistent. Not an ideal place to be if you need to participante in online meetings. Buffet is reasonable. There is complimentary bottled water for drinking, but the coffee (on sachet) is for sale. (which is usually free in other establishments)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Concord, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Overall, the Golden Prince isn't a bad hotel, but we will never stay there again -- To say that their hotel has "unlimited" wifi is an outright lie. If you want a nice hotel in Cebu City, try the Parklane. I've stayed there twice and everything about it is better than the Golden Prince (plus it has a swimming pool). See the details of our stay below.

WIFI - If you need/want Internet access, DO NOT stay here.
* Internet didn't work at all the first two nights and we were told it was because the hotel was fully booked
* Wireless routers are in the hallways and you have to stand near the door in your room to get a signal. Don't even try it from the bed or near the window
* Every day you need to get separate passwords (good for 24 hours) for each of your devices from the front desk. They need to be re-entered several times per day
* Even if you have a signal, and the correct password, the Internet still doesn't work 90% of the time

Incidentals Deposit
When checking in I was surprised that they asked for a cash deposit of 3000 pesos. I asked if they could swipe my credit card and they said no, it had to be cash. It would have been nice to know this before checking in.

Rooms
* None of the rooms have carpet
* The beds are wooden platforms with thin foam mattresses on top. Not a problem for me, but it might be for people who don't like an extra-firm bed.
* The king-sized bed is two twins pushed together with a king-sized sheet over the two twin mattresses.
* No in-room safe - that was a little inconvenient as we had to carry all our cash and passports with us each day
* We started with the Studio Suite, which is just a standard hotel room with a kitchenette. Halfway through the week we upgraded to the One Bedroom Suite because we needed more space for visitors. The one bedroom suite is a very nice, spacious, room with a separate bedroom (great for putting the baby down for a nap when we had guests)

Ants
* If you leave food out, it will quickly be covered with hundreds of small ants. This happened in both rooms we had. Fortunately, the refrigerator is large enough to hold lots of food, so we only had the ant problem if we forgot to put the food away.

Toiletries
* This is the first hotel I've stayed in that doesn't give you an extra roll of toilet paper. The one roll doesn't last through the day if you're traveling with your family, so we ended up buying our own rather than having to call the front desk every day.
* They give you tiny packets of shampoo. Again, we bought our own shampoo and soap rather than call the front desk each day to ask for more.

Breakfast Buffet
This was one of the nicer aspects of the hotel. The restaurant is small and the buffet doesn't have a huge selection, but they change the menu every day - We didn't get bored with the breakfast like in some other hotels. The omlet chef does a nice job, too.

Room Tip: Major construction project on one side of the hotel - Ask for a room on the other side
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Due to the good reviews from tripadvisor, I book this hotel however there is something wrong from their website thus I called them up.

As we are 4 adults and 1 toddler, Miss Beth recommended the 2 bedroom suite that is huge and which is good for us coz we check in during holy week from March 28 to 30 so we just chill out at the hotel as everything is close so we just went to the churches.

Room – huge and got enough space. We got a living room and 2 separate bedrooms with attached toilets each.

Location – 3 to 5 mins walking distance to Ayala Mall and 10 to 15 mins by cab going to SM.

Customer Service – was good and help us out in our church tours =) Helped me as well to get a Yellow Cab Pizza number which is a wrong number and when I googled it I called another number and ask them to waived this off from my bill which they did.
Overall experience was good and was very pleased about their service as we always still inside our room.

Wifi – our living room has ample internet however in the room there’s none.

Food – ours includes buffet breakfast, not a big spread but its ample.

Downside: there is no pool but its ok, after 1 night our key card won’t work, good thing the cleaner is just nearby coz we are on the 6th floor.
A big downside are the glass windows coz its not safe for kids. Although its close, its a transparent window then you will automatically drop if accident happens. So we always make sure my baby will not go near the window.
I remembered also that some of the lights are not working and some of them are yellow light so its so dim.
Some of the cabinet walls are spoiled and the faucet and shower are coming off but despite of this our stay is great and value for money =)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The hotel is just a few minutes walk from Ayala Mall, strategically located at a quiet street with another side facing main road. I'm impressed with the friendly and warm staffs, every staff including housekeepers, waiters , bellboy, guide etc greeted us with a wide smile whenever you meet them. The room is clean and big, just the bathroom is a bit small compared to the spacious room. Downside of the room is the poor sound proofing of the room as you can easily hear sounds outside the room which is not really a big deal for me. Would recommend this hotel to those who need a budget stay with cheap price,nice location & environment .

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is strategically located within 3 minutes walking distance to Ayala Mall.
The room is clean and big with very friendly staff that greet you whenever they see you.
The breakfast is nice.
The sound proof of the room need to be upgrade as we can hear other room door opening sound.
Highly recommended hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Cebu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Sometime in Dec. 19, 2012 i had my wedding and i didn't regret to avail of the Hassle-free wedding package of Golden Prince Hotel. Its practically affordable and the food is great, the venue and the inclusions in the package. Although there are some minute discrepancies on the details but anyways its manageable thru the efforts of their beautiful sales coordinator Ms. Guia who is so accommodating, understanding and friendly.
Everything in the wedding package is indeed worth it and had saved a lot of effort, stress and time. A very practical way to save a lot for your wedding and Golden Prince has it!

Thank you so much!

Steven & Melea

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Golden Prince Hotel? Share your experiences!