“Nice place, good price!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sugbutel Family Hotel

You added Sugbutel Family Hotel to your Saves list
Sugbutel Family Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   S. Osmena Blvd, cor. Road East North | Don Carlos A. Gothong Port Centre, Cebu City 6000, Philippines   |
Manila, Philippines
“Nice place, good price!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

I thought this hotel is just like the other "low priced" hotels and pension houses in Cebu, but was amazed to see that it's a way way better than the rest - the place is clean and the room is nice. And I like their bed and the pillows - I used to have backaches when sleeping in hotels..but in this hotel sleeping is very comfortable. The staff as well are very nice and friendly. I was attending a company training until 6PM but was still able to do a lot of shopping because SM City Cebu is located very near to the hotel. Will be going back to Cebu on October and will surely stay again at Sugbutel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Helsinki, Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

We had read the mixed comments here in Tripadvisor, but since Sugbutel is located really close to ferry terminal we decided to try it anyway.

We did not have a reservation and upon walk-in they told us that there is no room in normal dorms, but with 500 pesos (double the usual price) we could stay in “Premium dorm”. We took the offer and headed to upstairs where very impolite security guard demanded to see our ID:s again (it’s not like 3 guys with pack bags would come to rob the place. Well at least they do have a good security!)

We were handed out sheets and towels (seems that also in premium class you have to do your own bed) and the employee working upstairs asked to get our passports which we could claim back upon returning the sheets. Seems that we looked really untrustworthy! We did not want to give out our passports and settled on leaving 1000 pesos as a security deposit instead)

Premium class dorm was just the same that every other dorm, but included a water bottle. There was the premium advantage of having only 4 beds in the room, but as the whole sleeping area of about 50+ beds is open space this really did not make any difference. Felt like a rip-off all in all. For some reason the package does not include actual pillow (or pillow casing for the weird pillowish part of the bed – can be seen in photo). As there was big group of Asian tourist leaving early around the morning (4:00AM) and making a lot of noise we hardly got any sleep even as sleeping with earplugs.

There was no hot water when showering (might been just part of the day. That is common in Philippines) But if name says Bath I would expect some hot water at least.

Internet did not work at all. You could connect the wifi network, but there was no internet connection. We had asked about internet upon check in, so at this point we were quite pissed off. When asking about it again they told that "it is slow, because so many people are using it". However that was not the case, there just simply was no internet connectivity at all. One person who had stayed there for several days said that the internet has not been available during his stay.

When leaving we asked how to get Pier 4 (ferry to Tegbilaran) and were told that it is way too far to walk and takes 10-15mins with taxi. We took taxi from the front of Sugbutel and drove about 2 minutes to destination, which was very close. Luckily the taxi agreed using meter.

It would be a decent place to sleep for few hundred, but paying 500 and getting all this negative service made it a very bad stay

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ormoc City, Ormoc, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I got stranded in Cebu due to peak season of sea trips going to Leyte. So while I was walking out of the pier I just used my phone to see if there are hotel vacancies nearby. I checked this Sugbutel and found that it was really affordable and so I booked it and before I reached the place, I already got my voucher. The place was clean. But the wifi is poor. If you just need a quick and affordable stay, you could consider this one. But it feels just like living in a dorm.

Room Tip: I think there are special solo rooms which cost a little higher. For me, as a male, it's ok st...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Far the worst hotel i have been to
Anywhere in the philippines. Pension houses in cebu which is much cheaper is far better than this knock off hotel. Even if u rent their executive room and you have a child of two years old and will sleep in bed with his parents they still require rhe child to pay another bed!!! The staffs are not hospitable. This hotel is good only if you will stay in their dorm like rooms which is paterned to a ship deck.

• Stayed May 2013
San Marcos, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I rented a room for my wife and i. Later, we had relatives from MINDANAUO stay in our room as we had three beds. Major construction going on and very noise during the middle of december, the holiday season !!! I paid for five adults, but they conveniently forgot to give us towels and blankets for the other two beds !! Had to call them for towels, extra tissue, etc.....THE WI-FI works poorly or not at all.. Window shades do not block morning sun light and the room is bright at 630 am, but i want to sleep more.. About a two week stay here
but they refuse to give even a tiny discount, as i paid for 5 adults and two kids....tiny area of 12 inches for 5 adults to hang clothing. only 6 hangers ... No instructions to operate and find the cable channels, as 150 channels stated , but only 7 tv channels work.. Some people burning trash outside hotel and smoke can be smelled. One giant size cockroach was crawling in the room one day. Broken bath tissue holder and after two calls to reception they refuse to fix the tissue holder. Very dusty under the three beds and appears never to have been cleaned under the beds. Very disgusting.
I told reception and housekeeping that i will clean and mop if they give me a wet mop to use. Myself and an attendant mop'ed the entire room. I hate dirty rooms, especially after i paid 2500 peso's per night. THE WHITE BLANKETS ARE SUBJECT TO GETTING DIRTY EASY AND U PAY FOR THE STAINS OR DAMAGE.. I WISH NOT TO HAVE WHITE COMFORTORS...NOT FRIENDLY AT RECEPTION, NEED TO HIRE FRIENDLY DESK AGENTS... THE ONE GOOD THING IS THAT THEY ARE VERY CLOSE TO RELATIVES COMING IN TO CEBU BY FERRY..

Room Tip: check the room first.. get away from the construction noise..
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Davao City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Arrived Cebu from our province on a Sunday late in the afternoon and had to look for a place to stay for a night for my early flight the following day..luckily, my cousin who's living in the north told me to try at Sugbutel...indeed, as i stepped in the hotel entrance, i was greeted by a polite security guard and he leads me to the counter. i'm empress with the kind of reception their staff had shown. I was in a dormitory type accommodation. The room was very clean and so at the cr, the temperature of the aircon was great. i really find my stay very relaxing and delightful. I would encourage travelers to stay, am sure you will really get excellent service than what you paid for.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
San Fernando, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013 via mobile

This is a good find for people travelling on a budget. Backpackers will enjoy their stay here as it is really cheap. Dorm type accommodation. However, you get what you pay for: no hot shower, shared rooms especially during peak season, you will easily hear a noisy person next room, shared bed and bath, but gawd i will take all of those for the price that they offer.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Sugbutel Family Hotel? Share your experiences!