“Not all that...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Sampaguita Suites JRG

You added Sampaguita Suites JRG to your Saves list
Sampaguita Suites JRG
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   JRG Building, Gen. Maxilom Avenue | 2nd Floor, Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #33 of 76 Hotels in Cebu City
Killeen, Texas
“Not all that...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I don't usually write reviews on hotels unless rightfully deserved. I stayed at this hotel in early March of 2013. First off, the actual condition of the hotel rooms do not rightfully do the website's pictures any justice. Secondly, I decided to leave the hotel early and cancel the rest of the duration of my reservation. The receptionist informed me that my refund will be returned to me in 30 days for the days that I did not stay with them. I asked for any type of receipt to document this claim of which they did not have. She said that it was a phone call to the bank and thus there was no paper trail. It has been over 30 days and still no refund. Disappointed in this hotel's follow through on customer service. Will not be going back to this hotel for the forseeable future. Avoid this hotel if you are going off the merits of the photos posted on the various hotel websites, and the quality of service(which was bad).

Room Tip: There are no good rooms..
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
We're so sorry to hear about your sad experience in our hotel. And we would like to extend my apologies for the delayed response to your review. I just wanted to make sure that all bases are covered as much as possible. With regards to your refund, we are pleased to inform you that your check is ready and can be redeemed at the hotel. Just look for our back office clerk, Nars, and she will assist you with your refund. Again, we apologize for the inconvenience that we may have caused and we hope that you will still reconsider coming back to our hotel. We will do our best to take in all of your comments to further improve our services.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

i stay at this hotel from 11 to 22 april 2013 ..good location and the staff was very helpful..and the room and hallway kept clean..major problem was ..the clothes cabinet was too small...no shower curtains (things got wet) the room was so small rate was 998 pesos per (get what you pay for i guess) my room was located away from the street was a plus and there is a 24 hour pharmacy (with securtiy and atm in the pharmacy ) security at the hotel was good..the staff was most helpful./.(note>>i tiped a lot nothing big but a show of appreciation) this helped a lot...there was no joiner fee (if you bring in a lady who is not registered with you ) some hotels charge this they want most times but be aware of it..saves on shock late at night..most girls know anyway...hotel is across the street from Robinsons plaza has all the things you want..food court in the basement..internet shop on the first floor...dont think sampaguita had wi fy..may have i no have a pc so it was not an issue... the hotel is located a stones throw from mango square where you can disco or pick up a companion if you did not already have a lady with you..the area where the hotel is located is not noisy except for the street traffic...the two people that really helped me was the bellman mr Jerry and the desk clerk ms Karen.. real nice and helpful..as most of the staff were..like i sayed i tipped so it helps...would i stay here again maybe..location is vital and aircon and good shower with curtains and clean sheets and towels..clean surroundings in the hotel ..

Room Tip: get a big room ..be sure the air con can keep the room cool..had to have a room fan included..clothe...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for your review. Maybe next time, you should try our other bigger rooms or maybe ask the front desk to show you around the other rooms.

Thank you for your comment on our linen and towels. Thank you too for taking notice of our good location and convenient surroundings.

We hope to see you again on your return to Cebu City!
Preston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have stayed in this area of Cebu several times over the last 10 years. Noticed the Sampaguita suites and thought it looked nice. Found their web site and booked a double room for 3 nights from March 15.

First room they gave me, same floor as reception, on the landing next to the coffee shop, had only a tiny window above the bed right next to another building so affording almost no day light. I really don't like that - you don't know if its night or day. I requested a move to a room with window. I was offered a bigger room at considerably more money with a wheelchair ramp into a larger bathroom that did have a window. Meaning the bathroom door had to be wide open all the time to get day light. Declined that. Then offered another room on the same floor, landing in the far corner of the lobby, with the same small high up window as the 1st room, but this time not directly next to another building, so at least there was some daylight.

The room was clean and the bed comfy.

Upon taking a shower I found the shower head very dirty with more holes blocked than open. It directed what little water there was everywhere around the bathroom except on me. I mentioned this to front desk and requested they fit a new head. A very inexpensive item. Why do previous guests not report things like this? On returning to the room late afternoon the following day it hadn't been done. I asked again, they sent a bellboy who changed it for ......... wait for it .......another dirty used ones except it had more clear holes. Words failed me, they are such a cheap item. If I'd been staying a week I'd have gone a bought one myself!

Before dark I checked the the fire escape route as you always should in every hotel & remember where it is in relation to your room. Only to find the fire escape door pad locked. I brought this to the attention of front desk who said if there was a fire they would come and unlock it. Yeah right. I pointed out what if the fire started in reception (perhaps in the mobile air conditioning unit there) and suggested they would be straight down the stairs and outside.
They then sent someone with a key to unlock it. He opened the door & i noticed a VERY steep stair well with virtually no apparent lighting.

At night I went out for a wander & a beer, as you do. On my return, I checked the door again before retiring for the night only to find it locked again. Back to front desk again who said they did not have a key. I mentioned about the Santika night club fire in Bangkok in 2009 where 66 people perished and 222 were injured because the fire doors were locked. I asked if they would like something like that on their conscience? I had noticed earlier that the key had been produced from behind the desk. So I refused to go the room to sleep and said I would sit in the lobby & sleep until they found the key. Miraculously, 5 minutes later the key was found and door the unlocked.

Next day it was locked again and I once again had to request it be unlocked before sleeping.

After 2 nights I'd had enough of the poor shower, dingy room & locked fire door, said my business plans had changed & checked out.
Before leaving the room I thought I'll get my camera and photograph the locked door. Would you believe it - the lock had been removed. Gone. No longer there.

Now that was my experience on that landing. I don't know about other landings, but if staying here I would strongly urge you check the fire escape doors.

On checking out I asked if they had a luggage storage facility. Yes they did. They kindly looked after my 2 bags for the day. I had to ask for the ticket. On returning for the bags early evening, with a taxi waiting outside, it took them about 10 minutes to find the bags. ..... or rather to find the right person with a key to the right room. (seems they have 2 bag store rooms).

I will add that the lady who appeared to be the duty manager, was polite and as helpful as possible throughout all of the above when she was on duty.

've stayed in many hotels in Asia and around the world over 10 years so I do have bench marks from which to judge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Davao City, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was not able to go to Cebu yet and as i tried to search for a hotel near the tourist spots, I'd say the location of this hotel near Osmeña is excellent, however, when i tried to call and inquire further about the rooms, the attendant was a little bit impatient when being asked. Now I am having a second thought of booking or not pursuing anymore. This is my first time to book a hotel in Cebu but sorry, your service was a little bit off for a first timer like me..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are so sorry to hear that you have been disappointed by the way our front desk handled your phone inquiry. We will immediately inform our supervisor to look into this incident and advise front desk to practice proper courtesy and congeniality in answering all phone calls. We suggest that you try calling the hotel again and see if there has bee any difference. We appreciate that you took time to inform us about this.
Cebu Island, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Alot of my previous complaints at JRG such as FALSE ADVERTISING, dusty rooms, extra charge for more than 1 sheet, and bad front desk service were the samer here. At the previous location there was blatant false advertising on their website. Also, they only gave one towel per room although there were two beds and i paid for two people. JRG gave two towels per room, although the room still was dusty.

There was still FALSE ADVERTISING here because the wifi wouldn't work in the room.

I recommend guests go across the street to Gran Prix.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
It's very sad to hear that you had another unpleasant experience in another one of our hotels. We have already rectified and updated the wifi ad on our website about 2 weeks ago. Thank you for giving attention to this matter. I have already informed our supervisor about your concern and we will do our best to serve you better nex time.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We'd booked online to this hotel for a standard room (4D/3N). Great location and services! Helpful and gentle staff. The room is clean and they did a room cleaning daily on request. There's a 24-hr grocery store just outside the hotel and many other stores, restaurants and fastfoods nearby. The only thing is that the room is too small and aircon is noisy located very near to your head and it really disturbs when you're sleeping. Hope next time we can have a better room. Thank you though for the great staff and services.

• Stayed January 2013
Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
We would like to thank you for your review. We value your comments and suggestions and appreciate the inputs you have made about our hotel. We will definitely look into the problem about the air conditioning and tell our maintenance crew to make a regular preventive maintenance inspection to avoid problems with our guests. On your return to our hotel, you should try our other rooms that offer more space. Thank you and see you again soon.
Cebu City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

No hotwater in the bathroom. Electric water heater was out of order
Reception service was OK(front desk)

I booked the Hotel on Feb 17,
on 18th and 19th of Feb, I tried to cancell the Room of the Hotel
but cud not access!! and Finally I stayed the Hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Manuel P, Public Relations Manager at Sampaguita Suites JRG, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for spending time to send this review. You could have requested for a room transfer at front desk and we would have willing moved you to another room. I hope that on your return to Cebu, you will still be a patron of our hotel and we'll do our best to serve you better.

Been to Sampaguita Suites JRG? Share your experiences!