“unfriendly service” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 65 Cebu City B&B and Inns
Hasbergen
“unfriendly service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

In March 2009 I travelled from Manila to Cebu City. A couple of years ago I have had a room at Mayflower Inn and I thought I would have a good stay there. I got a good clean room. But it was difficult to get water good to drink. It seams that the staff want that the guests shall pay a high price for their mineral water. I saw also that other guests were not happy about the meals which it were offered at their cafe. At the afternoon I wanted to give my presents to my niece and her family and also other things which I carried with me to give it to them. I wanted that she shall go with me together in my room for a minute. That was not allowed. It was also not allowed for male persons to go with me. This hotel is only good for the guests which paid a room there. If my niece would pay for a room or a bed at my room then it would be allowed for her to go with me. I asked for a private room to open my case there so that I could give my things to her. It was said to me that they don't have such a room. So I paid for a night and checked out. At MS Royal Pension House I stayed much better for a lower price.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
laguna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2009

I was very satisfied with my entire stay at mayflower inn because of its clean room and beddings, very good accommodation and commendable security. I will definitely recommend mayflower inn to my relatives and friends.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
SOUTHERN AUSTRALIA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

My self and my fiance stayed at the mayflower in for 4 days, after a friend recomended it , i was a bit worried what it would be like when i saw how cheap it was ! but i was pleasantly suprised ! after 4 days at the mayflower inn , we then went to bohol to see the tarsia monkeys ! and bohol island for 4 days WOW ,amazing place ,go there ! we then returned to cebu and stayed for another 4 days in the mayflower in before going to the northern philippines . the mayflower in looked like it had just been renovated , it had good air conditioning , a fire detection system , good fast lift ,but most of all ,the rooms were bright , nice colors , very,! very ! clean ,with nice clean sheets ,towels etc and good pillows.
There was also a kelvinator air conditioner , cable tv , and one of the best bathrooms ,in any hotel i have stayed in asia. or the philippines,with the best hot cold shower , ! really the only thing i could complain about was , there was no refridgerator , and the bed squeaked a little ! apart from that I HAVE STAYED IN 5 STAR HOTELS THAT ARE NOT AS CLEAN AND FRIENDLY , AS THE MAYFLOWER INN .
the staff were helpful and friendly and honest ! and the security was excellent , they were helpful gettind taxi's ,opening the door , and helping with luggage , they even recorded the taxi's ID ,when you left to go out & advising us were and were not to go !
There was a beautiful indoor garden ,with a lovely fish pond etc ,next to the resturant , and the food allthough basic was cheap at 85 peso per serve , rice ,chicken,pork,fish etc. Doris the lady chef was friendly , allways smiling and made us welcome as if in her own home ,and her home style filipino cooking was really good ,the resturant had wi fi for internet , and a laptop for free calls to usa and some other countries. and free newspapers.
There was a good bakery a few doors down and it was close by taxi to allyura mall and places like jolli bee , etc. and central to cebu , ferry's and airport. unlike mactan.
we stayed on the ground floor room 1008 ? and allthough there was no view out the window ,there was a small pleasant garden. next time we stayed on the 3rd floor room 307 ? and the room was just as good ,each room had a double and a single bed., but upstairs ,the view was only out over other buildings , but your not paying for a view ! lol .
just for the record , i have no association with the mayflower inn , but after 6 weeks travelling in the philippines from south to north ,for the second time ! the mayflower was really comfortable , very clean , and friendly ! and had the" best shower" and one of the best ,out of all the places we stayed , from NO STAR TO 5 STAR !...Ric from AUSTRALIA.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
cebu
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2008

the room is okay. the food in the restaurant area is not worth the money and the service isn't great. they adver tise 400 peso rooms but they actually charge around 800 peso, or at least thats what happened to me. I thought i was all paid up when i booked the room for two nights, but upon check out they hit me with another 800 peso bill. i thought it was 800 for 2 nights which they advertise on the internet but that was not the case in this instance. on top of that they tried to charge me another 300 pesos because i had a friend come and visit me for 2 hours during the day. they didnt say anything about a charge when she came in and then tried to get me to pay it 2 days later when i checked out. needless to say these money issues ruined the stay for me. before that came up i would have recommended it, but now i will never stay there again. the rooms arent all that bad, but make sure you know what you're paying for and be on the look out for hidden fees.

• Liked — location and affordability
  • Disliked — i felt they tryed to swindle me out of some php
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2008

This might be a long review bacause of my years of experience at Mayflower since 2003. My mother-in-law stumbled at this pension house because of it's cheap rate. And I'm glad she did. Before, they had an old somewhat dilapidated building. But we managed to stay and bear with them. Sure, we can afford to stay at a much nicer place but their staff amazes us. Even if the building was old, but still they managed to keep it clean. Of our frequent stay, we never saw any insects, we saw some ants, but hey, it was our fault because we usually brought foods in our room. It was even better before that they had an old building, how much more now that they have a totally new building. I don't have the chance yet to stay at their new building, but I'm looking forward to.

I can't say enough about their staff. They never once disappointed me. I usually travel with my husband and 2 kids with my husbands family and my own family to go shopping in Cebu so we needed a cheap place to stay. My husband and I are both filipinos, but still they treated us the same courtesy as what the foriegners received. I've read a lot of reviews in a hotel that filipinos are sometimes discriminated thinking that the foriegners will give more tips.

One time, our boat arrived at 5 AM so I informed Maylower that we will be there. Yet, they managed to prepare our room and we got to go straight ahead and rest for the day without even an extra charge. It bothers me until now that I didn't thought to give a tip to that staff.

I have my choice of room there, so I will always want that room when I'll stay. If the room isn't available, they will give us another room, still of our choice, and by the time our choice of room was ready they will transfer us carrying all our luggage.

When my oldest daughter had a little accident. The staff ran to us, another staff ran to get some ice. They were all concern.

Before, they had a promo, a free breakfast. We didn't know that the breakfast was only up to 9 AM. My husband and I usually ate our breakfast there at 10 or 11 AM. But still they served us and even did not inform us. Until it frequently happened, the cook decided to already let us know haha.

They cleaned and boiled my daughters nursing bottle and gave us warm water everyday for a little service charge that made you wish you will give them more.

Sometimes, I will go to their kitchen and chat with the cook and made me learn about their own lives.

They will call us Maam and Sir even if we are far younger than them which made us uncomfortable and just informed them that we prefered to be called at our first names.

Checking out was always pleasant and breaks our hearts to leave the place. Checking out time was 1 PM. So we had plenty of time left before our boat or air travel so we usually go first to the malls. The staff will keep our huge family luggage for us until we get back. It´s a nice service.

It´s sure is a safe place. The last time we stayed there, my eldest daughter was 2 years old and my youngest only a month old.

I can see that the management is good because until now, viewing at their website, I still saw the same staff., the same loyalty, the same faces.

You readers might think that I gave them huge amount of tips that´s why we received this kind of courtesy and kindness from them. Well, you are wrong. I only gave them 50 pesos each and it was even right after we checked out. And I wish I had given them more.

On my next visit to Cebu, we will surely stay there again since 2003. We are looking forward to stay at their all new building.

You will surely get more of what you paid. Kindness, friendhship, helping hand and more. Sometimes, when you are on a travel, and is on a foriegn place. This things are important for you to have a pleasant, worry free stay. Don´t expect a 5 star stay. But in my experience a 5 star can´t beat that.

Thanks a lot Mayflower!

• Liked — friendly staff
  • Disliked — I´m a satisfied client
  • Stayed December 2004, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
El Segundo, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

Stayed here for over a week. Had stayed previously in the Northwinds but much preferred this Inn as it is 100% non smoking and the staff is very, very friendly. It is located close to the capital but on a side street so it is much quieter than Northwinds. It is basic but has clean bathrooms and the cost per night is around $25.00. The have a little canteen (cafe) adjacent to their lobby that serves a good breakfast for less than $2.00 (eggs, rice and your choice of meat.). They have free internet in the cafe and they also have a FREE 30 min phone calls to the U.S. What a deal! The TV has a nice selection of channels including a few movie channels. The cafe also has a small outdoor eating area that is truly a little oasis with great greenery and a lovely fountain. I would sit inside to enjoy the air con but sat facing the wonderful oasis. The cafe also sells lots of variety of beverages and sundries (if you forgot something) I would stay here again without hesitation. Also walking distance to several coffee shops, some good spas, a McDonalds...if that is your thing. For this price, this cannot be beat! They have a guard 24 hr and he will help flag down taxis and assist with luggage.

• Liked — Quiet, clean, internet and free 1/2 phone calls to the U.S.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Mayflower Pension? Share your experiences!