“Nothing fancy nor frou frou, but a very pleasant place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

West Gorordo Hotel Cebu
110 Gorordo Avenue,, Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #26 of 77 hotels in Cebu City
Manila, Philippines
“Nothing fancy nor frou frou, but a very pleasant place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2012

I got wind of West Gorordo Hotel because of tripadvisor.com. I've gone through hundreds of choices and reviews for a place to stay when my friend and I went to Cebu City last February. Some of the reviews I read at the time were spot-on--it's a decent hotel sans amenities and frills--in a good way.

Aside from being one of the most affordable hotels in Cebu, West Gorordo has a very efficient and friendly staff that would be glad to assist you in your queries.

There is no swimming pool, coffee shop or a resto of its own--but it serves its guests well. (they have a floor where they serve plated, breakfast combos).

The hotel is near most establishments, like the Ayala Center Cebu. Across it, there are two coffee shops if you need to have your caffeine fix. There is a (purified) water dispenser at the hallway should you need to drink up. If you need a hair dryer, you can ask for it at the reception. Should you wish to ask for a Cebu city tour, the guys at the reception are more than willing to give you contacts and numbers.

Checking in at an early time was also not a problem for us--they easily accommodated us upon arrival (we were there at around 7am).

Overall, it was a very pleasant stay for us.

So if you're up to seeing Cebu especially if you're within a budget (and without being shortchanged), then West Gorordo Hotel is for you. It's simple, unassuming, and peaceful. Like the city itself.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

13 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
manila
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2012

we chose Gorordo Hotel based on the reviews here in Tripadvisor. When we got there, it wasnt as nice as I pictured it to be.. An old hotel renovated.. thats it. had a pretty old facade. I was really dizzy from the plane ride and had to take a few hours of rest. They gave us a room at the end of the 3rd floor. Ok...it looked like a motel than a hotel. My headache was unbearable and with the price of 1800.oo for the regular room.. I couldnt complain because I had a headache to take care of so I tried to doze off inspite of the pungent smell in the room. After an hour I woke up with an unbearable headache to top it all off, the smell had me almost vomiting. Tried the wifi , it was dead. I went to the end of the hallway.. and tried it. Finally , I decided to talk to the staff and check out other rooms for an upgrade.we already paid in credit card so I didnt want the hassle of deleting the charged bill....it was a mess. We opted for the upgrade and they gave us a big room of four beds at the 5th floor. it had a view, 2 water closets and it was very spacious. the interiors were definitely different from the 3rd floor. It was modern and not at all like a stinky motel.Thank God! I had a great rest after that and by evening.I was anticipating a good rest. We left early for a long trip and returned really late to rest, but to our horror, the staff was waiting for us to ask us to transfer to another room because they said the plumbing had to be fixed in our level. I refused. I saw the icky old room at the 3rd floor, bigger but with the same horrifying scent and to top it. It had a view of a wall! I already paid extra for the next night and refused totally to the transfer. Tired and all I just said No way! it was good that there was this one staff. he was a man, tall and thin who was so gracious and so helpful and tried to calm us down the whole time and told us to wait and we didnt have to transfer if we can wait. I think he called the plumber who confirmed that we didnt have to leave because there wasnt any problem with our room's pipes. But the horror! So yeah, i trust that they were telling the truth because people were coming in that night and i had the feeling that they needed the big room. So with that. Its up to you to decide if you can risk the extra headache together with your budget trip.

Room Tip: ask for the 5th floor.. never take the lower floors. and never take the inner rooms, your view would...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Davao City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

We arrived in Cebu at 4 am and our next flight was at 7 pm. Needed a place to stay in while waiting for our flight. Checked with several hotels and all of them would not let us check in at 4 am and check out late in the afternoon. Looked through tripadvisor and found the page for this hotel. Gave them a call and they were so accommodating. We missed our flight and we called the hotel again. They let us stay the night even though we'd already checked out. There was already a cab waiting to take us to the airport when I returned the key to the receptionist. There's a buffet restaurant right next door too. I will never forget how great their service is and how helpful their employees are. Thanks again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Stayed a week. Found staff to be very friendly and smiling, hotel very clean and location -- great (near Ayala and SM malls and IT park). Moreover, room rate very affordable and competitive. Enjoyed my stay very much.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Mandaluyong, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

West Gorordo Hotel is the perfect hotel for me! Because it's almost right next to our regional office in Cebu City!

Late night or early meetings are not a problem when I stay in this hotel.

I've been here for a few times already. I like the staff. I like that the Wi-Fi signal is strong and stable. I like the breakfast nook on the second floor here which serves choices of American and Filipino breakfasts. I like that many taxi's and jeepney ply the area so accessibility is no problem. I like that it's near the city center, everything you need to get, every where you need to go, it's no hassle.

The hotel provides you the standard shampoo, conditioner and soap upon request. I like how practical they are. And they are not cheap. They give you the entire bottle! But you need to give that back (by leaving it in your bathoom) when you check out (I haven't tried smuggling it out of the hotel to verify that you really NEED to give it back).=)

Some of the rooms here face the wall so you might want to mention you want a room with view of the city, or at least the road, a little sunshine.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Pasig City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

West Gorordo Hotel is one of my favorite hotels in Asia! Warm, efficient hotel staff welcome you when you get there. Located in Cebu City, it's near Ayala IT hub and other business areas. Ayala mall is in one end, SM mall is in the other.

I've been here more than 3 times, I think. It's always my choice in Cebu City.

Not all room though offer the view of Cebu City so make sure you mention that you want to see the outside world. There was one time I stayed there and forgot to say I wanted a view, so I just got a view...of the concrete wall. But all rooms got pretty strong Wi-Fi signal.

They are really practical around here: they don't provide shampoo/conditioner sachets in the bathroom. Such items will be given to you upon your request. I find it quite clever: that way, those don't get stolen and it doesn't clutter up the bathroom which I usually fill with my own stuff.

I usually see business people frequent the hotel. Not much vacationers.

The place is pretty accessible as public and private vehicle ply Gorordo Avenue, I think 24/7. A great line up of coffee houses including Coffee Dream and Vienna-Kaffeehaus can be found right across the hotel.

This hotel is quite far though from the gorgeous beaches this island province has to offer.

The airport is also 35-45 minutes far so you better get up early, eat your hearty complimentary breakfast, and to get Mactan Airport quick. It's one helluva traffic from Gorordo Avenue (Cebu City) to Lapu-lapu City! In fact these two cities are situated in two separate islands of this province. The great big Mactan Bridges (Marcelo B. Fernan Bridge) connect these (yeah, they've got two bridges, the old one and the newer one). Remember, Metro Cebu is just like Metro Manila -- congested with cars and people!

Room Tip: Make sure you mention a room with a view of the outside world. But all there rooms are pretty clean...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to West Gorordo Hotel Cebu? Share your experiences!