“Definitely LESS than FOUR Stars” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cebu Parklane International Hotel

Save Saved
You added Cebu Parklane International Hotel to your Saves list
Cebu Parklane International Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Archbishop Reyes Avenue | Corner Escario Street, Cebu City, Philippines   |
Ranked #20 of 77 hotels in Cebu City
Philippines
“Definitely LESS than FOUR Stars”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for four nights to attend an ASIAN congress in near-by Waterfront Hotel. There was a mix-up with my reservation which I settled upon check-in but when I checked out, their computer system did not reflect the changes and they insisted I pay for the extra night.

Even before check-in, I already inquired with them if there is a complimentary shuttle from the hotel to the convention venue (Waterfront Hotel). They advised me that the hotel (despite it being identified as one of the official convention hotels) has no complimentary shuttle for the duration of the convention. Upon check-in, I inquired again about the shuttle but I was again given the same answer. They were apparently not aware of the shuttle service provided by the organizers of the international convention!

The breakfast fare is ordinary. This is the first hotel where I stayed in wherein they offered "quick melt cheese" in their breakfast buffet! Cebu's pride is their sweet mangoes but here in Parklane Hotel, they seem to have gotten the sour mangoes instead!

On our third day, we left the hotel around 12:30pm to have lunch, and we had to remind the front desk to have our rooms cleaned. We saw the cleaner in the hallway and asked him to clean our room but his response was that he was not the one assigned to clean our room. It must be a busy day at the hotel. Twice during our stay, the cleaner forgot to replace our towels (took the soiled ones but never replaced them). The complimentary WiFi in the room was erratic.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

384 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

I stayed in the hotel for just one night only. The hotel is OK and the breakfast buffet is excellent. The room is a bit dark even during daytime since the window is small. For a short duration of stay, this hotel in Cebu City is recommendable.

Room Tip: room away from the constrution site
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Florida City, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

The Parklane is an ideal place to stay while in Cebu. The staff was very friendly the rooms were okay but dated and the locaton was great. BEWARE of Travel Vision in the lobby, the Island Hopping tour is not what they say it is and you will come away feeling cheated. Complaints will not be rectified.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Rotterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I generally stay at the Parklane when I'm in Cebu. It is reasonably priced, has a good breakfast buffet and it is close to Ayala Mall. From here you can get around Cebu easy.
Normally I have a Corner room with free internet (cable in room). Internet can be slow. If you have a Corner room on the 7th or 8th floor and there is no normal power, the generator can disturb you (noise and diesel smell). Doesn't happen that much, but good to know I think. Room is ok as is bathroom. Staff is friendly and willing to help with whatever you need or want.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

Entered the Philippines via Cebu instead of Manila and picked this hotel based on previous reviews. I cannot fault that the staff, all were friendly (as is custom throughout the Philippines). However the hotel was a big disappointment. Firstly, there is a extremely large construction going on next to the hotel (a high rise new building) this made noise levels extremely unpleasant (the pool also faces this construction).

The view from the room I had faced this construction and I did manage to change my room (with an additional cost) to avoid this. The breakfast was fine, nothing special but good enough.

The area around the Hotel is nothing special, the bonus point is that you are situation just a 5 minute walk from one of the major shopping malls in Cebu. You are however very far from any beaches and a taxi will take you at least 30 minutes to take you to one, which will eat away at your spending money and waste time.

For the price paid (easily twice what I would pay in Manila) I would have expected a lot more (does not feel like a 4 star). Through no fault of the staff I would not recommend this hotel and suggest you look elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2011

Nearly everything was good about this hotel. We stayed in it for 3 nights, then a week or so later for one more night to catch a flight. That last night was reserved after I had already stayed 3 nights and decided that I am satisfied with the hotel.

The hotel is well situated, right next to Ayala Mall... getting to the mall takes about 5 minutes of walking, crossing 2 busy streets, but not difficult to do. In addition to large numbers of stores, there are many restaurants there (even a Starbucks so I can get my daily iced coffee) should you not want to eat in the hotel. The surroundings were safe enough to comfortably walk around. It was easy (and immediate) to catch a taxi from the hotel to anywhere else. Returning by taxi was also easy.

The hotel staff were always helpful and cheerful. For the last night, I needed to leave my luggage for the porter all day until 9pm to catch a flight, but didn't want to lug it around all day... they were helpful and had no trouble storing the luggage. I also needed to leave money for a tour operator but could not be around to do so; the front desk helpfully held the envelope with the money to give the tour operator when they showed up sometime during the day.

The room was good. TV, AC and bathroom fixtures all worked well. The water was hot whether we showered early in the morning, or later. There was some street noise and nearby construction noise, but there's a lot of building and upgrading going on in Cebu now – get used to it. It didn't prevent us from sleeping soundly. Oh, the beds were comfortable too. Just in case anyone is worried about this, the toilets are American style, with TP and an actual toilet seat on the bowl.

Rooms don't have wifi, but wifi worked fine in the lobby area, and somewhat in the dining room area. The wifi was fast enough that I could do the usual checking of email, facebook, uploading pictures and also worked fine to place a Skype audio call through it to a land line phone in the US. I used the wifi frequently every day of our stays, both from my netbook and an Android phone. If you have problems getting it to work after connecting to the wifi, don't forget to launch a web browser and go to any page... that forwards you to Parklane's web page to click OK to some legal agreement... I kept forgetting to do that, and no data will be transmitted anywhere until you remember to do that.

The food was mostly good. The breakfast buffet had an excellent selection that varied somewhat each day. We ate breakfast there every morning. We also ate lunch/dinner twice, and that was good too. On our final day, just as we were about to catch the flight, we just wanted some appetizers since we weren't very hungry yet. Their appetizer choice is horrid. All appetizer choices except one are “prawns”... I'm not completely sure what prawns are but I think they are underwater bugs of some kind. The one non-prawn choice was beef something-or-other, so I got that. That was a big mistake... the beef was 100% raw. I don't mean it was rare or undercooked – it was actually raw, no sign of cooking whatsoever. We were both repulsed and refused to eat it. This is the Philippines for crying out loud, not France.... they need to have some “normal” appetizers, like lumpia or something, that you would actually expect to find in the Philippines (or in America).

So, now that I know not to ever eat their appetizers again, I highly recommend this hotel and will be staying there for my next trip to Cebu.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

Arrived at the hotel without luggage (thanks to Jetstar leaving it in Singapre), staff were fantastic, service with a smile. Our room was clean, bedding comfortable and hotel close to Mall where we had to do emergency shopping. Rooms have wired internet which is fast, the swimming pool is undergoing renovations which was not advised to us when we booked. Breakfast was varied, great selection. The concierge and business centre staff assisted us to liase to get our luggage back, as they have a booth at the airport they arranged to collect it and transported it to the hotel with other passengers without charge to us. All the staff were so helpful, always smiling and ready to assist, we enjoyed our stay

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Cebu Parklane International Hotel? Share your experiences!