“Fantastic if on a budget” 3 of 5 stars

Grand Menseng Hotel
Magallanes Street, Davao City, Mindanao 8000, Philippines   |
Ranked #18 of 47 Hotels in Davao City
Darwin, Australia
“Fantastic if on a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Stayed here for a wedding as part of a group booking. Booking was for a room with 2 double beds as was staying with my parents. Ended up with a room with 3 single beds - or should I say two single beds and three stained, completely soft mattresses stacked on top of each other which I was unable to sleep on as they were way too soft. Requested another room even if we had to get two rooms with double beds in however the hotel was fully booked however they did put a harder mattress in the room and I slept on this on the floor. My brothers room and a friend who was also staying smelt so musty had to leave the door open whenever we were in there.
In saying this the room was cheap approx $60 a night and if you are on a budget the rooms, bathrooms and sheets were clean. If you are a budget traveller I would highly recommend but if you are looking for something a bit flasher there are better options.
The one thing I could not fault was the staff. They were helpful and courteous and went out of there way to help in anyway they could. Buffet breakfast was ok but get there early as the later it is they don't tend to replace items when they run out. We ate at the poolside a few times and it was good (not fantastic) but in saying that no complaints on the price. Nine of us ate there for dinner and had desserts and a few drinks and it was only $60AUD so for that price I consider it EXCELLENT!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

Our compadres stayed here one night and we hung out with them most of it. This downtown hotel is not far from San Pedro, Rizal and the government offices. Its on a crowded busy street, but with no lack of places to eat or get a massage nearby. The front desk staff were always very friendly. There is a big lobby area, with sort of an old majestic feel to it with a restaurant. The rates include a double which is P2500 per night, but on weekends they are cheaper.

Rooms are okay and carpeted. This presents special problems as the carpets were not as clean as I would like walking barefoot. The room had a musty smell to it, as if the carpets had been wet then dried. This is a big turn off for me as it means bacteria and anyone with an allergy may have an issue. Once the AC was on for awhile, you could not smell the rug. The rooms are big, but oddly, it has a small TV for such a room and the room that we were in, the TV was not aligned with the bed.

It’s an okay place, but I think for the price, you can do better nearby and pay half as much or even a third as much around the corner for a nice basic clean place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room, if possible with a new carpet or NO carpet.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

I feel this hotel is over priced it gives a 3 star look but its really a 2 star bed lining dirty
staff friendly helpful

Room Tip: Suggest one day or two stay ok
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
pampanga, philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Grand Men Seng is located in the inner older part of the city. We had a seminar there. It was not our choice but was included in the package. Although the hotel is a little old compared to the standards of the contemporary hotels, I have to admit that the staff compensates it all. all courteous & ready to help, from the security guards, concierge, housekeeping to front desk.

The breakfast was ok, but if I may suggest the selection must be for breakfast.. who serves mechado & fried chicken for breakfast? unless it's left-over from the dinner the night before. I would have wished there were danggits since it's coming from a rich source of seafood.

The room & elevator smelled musty, The hotel should work on this smell. It brings down points on cleanliness, though the room looks clean.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

I stayed here in 2008 and it was really excellent value. It had all the trimmings of a luxury hotel for only around $50 per night. The room was comfortable, with a bath, and the rooftop pool was small but nice, and we especially loved the evening poolside "ihaw ihaw," or barbecue. The only thing I would mention is try to request a room that is not on the street side as you will get a lot of street noise. Next time I would try and stay on the back side of the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Stratford-Upon-Avon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

I visited Davao City with my Mom,sister, and sister-in- law for 4 days. We were booked by the travel agent at this hotel for 3 nights. The room was spacious and clean. The service at the reception was polite and helpful.
Being in one of the rooms at the very end of the corridor I decided to check out the fire exits.I was shocked to find the fire exit door locked and the only window padlocked.
I immediately contacted reception and asked them to unlock the fire exits and threatened them that I will go to Fire department of their city and let them know that the hotel is in breach of a very important law that safeguards the lives of guests like me.
They sent somebody from housekeeping to me to show me how to unlock the fire exit door from the outside by putting my hand through a hole in the door. It was rediculous as who would think of doing that in the case of a fire?
To complicate things even more, I was dismayed to find the landing of the fire exit stairs stacked with 14 double mattresses. I have taken pictures of the stairs and can prove how negligent they been.
The mattresses were gone the next day after I've warned the housekeeping staff of what danger they pose in case of fire. I'm not sure though whether they were removed until I checked out only to be returned when I'm gone.
When checking into a Phil. hotel always check that they comply with fire exit regulations as we know now that this one doesn't.

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Been to Grand Menseng Hotel? Share your experiences!