“Good place to stay in Davao” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Royal Mandaya Hotel

You added The Royal Mandaya Hotel to your Saves list
The Royal Mandaya Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   J. Palma Gil St.,, Davao City, Mindanao 8000, Philippines   |
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Davao City
Manila, Philippines
“Good place to stay in Davao”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is the hotel I've stayed for many times over. Very good value and you get more than what you pay for. The rooms are good sized and complete with most of the things you will need in a hotel. The breakfast buffet has good variety. Internet available inside the rooms,

Service is very good - they may not be a 5 star hotel but they make you feel you are in one.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is my 3rd visit to Davao after staying at My Hotel and Home Crest and because of the Kadayawan weekend Festival, I looked for a hotel, through tripadvisor as well where the parade will pass through. Found this hotel and read some of the reviews. Upon booking this hotel via Agoda, I immediately emailed them with 3 requests- airport pickup, which was supposedly 100php per person/way which was cheap, gave them our arrival details, etc. Requested for a room that is located on the new wing, the renovated one. And also asked if they do provide late checkout and how much for an extension. They emailed the next day saying that the airport pickup is confirmed and that they allow until 2pm late checkout without charge. OK.

The day before my arrival, our flight was canceled so I moved my flight earlier from ETA 7pm to ETA 3pm and requested for an earlier pickup and again, reiterated to have us placed on the new wing. No response.

Arrival at the airport and no one was there from the hotel to pick us up. I called up the hotel (via my mobile phone which charges per minute) asking where our pickup was. They said they have no available vehicle. I asked why they didn't even bother replying to the email I sent. They said they just received the email. OH COME ON! I sent that the night before so it was impossible that they just received it. THEY JUST READ IT, not received it. They said it was the reservations department's responsibility and they transferred me. NO ONE ANSWERED!. Decided to take a cab instead with the same fare 200PHP for 2 pax.

Upon arrival, hotel was ok, security was tight. And when I asked who I should talk to regarding them not picking us up at the airport, and they said it was not their responsibility but the reservation office's OK.

Went up to our room and we were located at the OLD wing. A/C was leaking, room was tired and old.

Buffet breakfast was nice.

Jojo was nice.

Checkout was smooth.

Location was excellent.

Wifi is difficult to access since you have to request a user name and password everyday.

All in all, hotel stay was average. Just dont bother emailing them because their email support/reservations are hopeless, incompetent and USELESS!

Might return but will probably try other GOOD and EFFICIENT hotels around.

Somewhat disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't bother requesting for anything. They don't care anyway.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Quezon City, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Within walking distance from the hotel are several places of interest, notably the Aldevinco Shopping Mall where one can find many local and imported jewelry, clothing items, and bags. Across the street from Aldevinco is the Ateneo de Davao. On the other side of the Mandaya, less than 300 meters away is the Casino Filipino, quite small but offers the usual slot machines.

The hotel is 20 to 30 minutes away from the arport and costs around Php180-200. Taxi drivers in Davao City are among the most honest drivers I have met --- their taxi meters are accurate and they will give you your exact change without you having to ask for it.

Don't miss the Davao City Museum, the Philippine Eagle Center and the Eden Nature Resort.

The hotel serves buffet breakfast at a very reasonable price, but my party opted for the a la cart menu since we did not want to be tempted into overeating. The food selection is adequate but you have to provide for a little more time allowance if ordering a la cart since service is not that fast.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised when I checked in recently at Davao's Royal Mandaya Hotel. The room I stayed in at the 7th floor was almost totally upgraded compared from our last visit just a few months ago (which was a different floor). I choose this hotel because of its price and good location for business travelers.

The bed, furnishings, LED TV, bathroom amenities all were upgraded. As a result, sleep quality is much better with the extra pillows, clean comfy sheets. Bathroom fixtures were totally changed, much better now. Wifi is available at the room and comes with a complimentary breakfast. There is also free bottled water & coffee.

I was impressed at how they made the bed when I got in after dinner, with some complimentary chocolates. Made me feel like it was a higher priced hotel, given that the room price was very reasonable compared to Marco Polo. Service is also good & they have free airport shuttles to & from the hotel.

All in all, this hotel should be one of the top choices for a business traveler's stay in Davao especially if Marco Polo is full or too expensive for your budget.

Room Tip: From experience, the rooms at the 7th floor new wing have been upgraded.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed last year at Royal Mandaya hotel. We luckily avail their seasonal promo. The hotel have a very good location. We had a chance to walk around the city at night. There are various restaurants near the vicinity. Not to mention, the Casino is also 2min walk from the hotel. The room is just fine and have a comfy bed. They have a pool and gym. They also serve buffet breakfast/lunch/dinner. You should try this! The staffs are very accomodating. Thanks Royal mandaya for a mini royal experience at Davao! :)

• Stayed July 2012
Davao City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Since we booked our wedding reception here we might have received special treatment, but the junior suite was beautiful, so well designed and decorated, clean with all the comforts and 2 CR's one was huge! We understand the room had recently been redone, and it was very fresh. All the food was great, service top rate. The two limos available are simply amazing.

Room Tip: If you can do one of the newly redone junior suites i don't think you will be disappointed.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed with a friend who had arranged the accommodations. As our flight was very early, we arrived at the hotel around 9AM, a far cry from the standard check in time of 2PM. We had resigned ourselves to waiting at the lobby for hours, when the front desk manager informed us that they would place us in a different room for the meantime while they got our reserved room ready.

This was quite a pleasant surprise. I always thought this treatment was reserved for guests who are deemed loyal and 'worthy' by hotels and not first-timers. In fact, by 11am, we were able to move into our 'original room.

There are two wings: while we were waiting, they gave us a room in the newer wing, but later transferred us to the older one. you may wish to request for a room in the newer ring if you are picky, but the reception and restaurant are in the old wing, and you may not fancy a little walk to get to those places. (I am not a fussy traveler: as long as I have a clean bed with working ventilation, I'm good to go.)

The front desk staff, wait staff, porters, everyone was friendly and put me in a good mood. It's true that the hotel needs updating, especially since they are located so close to Marco Polo Hotel, so comparisons will be inevitable. Minus for me was the spotty WiFi that would come in and out. If you need better WiFi, go to the lobby OK instead.

Buffet breakfast was included in our room and would serve to fill you up for the day. They had around 5 to 6 viands, various breads (including durian bread), congee, egg and fruit stations, two juices and cereals for those who prefer them. It was more than sufficient.

We opted to take the hotel service to the airport since it was raining on our last day. It only cost us 100 Philippine Pesos per head and we would have roughly paid the same if we took a taxi, and we got to ride in a spacious van with a good driver.

The thing that stays with you is how well you were treated, and for that, no one can ever say anything but good things about The Royal Mandaya Hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the new wing if available, if you like more modern surroundings.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Royal Mandaya Hotel? Share your experiences!