“ideal hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marco Polo Davao

You added Marco Polo Davao to your Saves list
Marco Polo Davao
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   CM Recto Street | P.O. Box 81540, Davao City, Mindanao 8000, Philippines   |
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Davao City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Manila
“ideal hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This hotel is great for holidays and business and the service is good. The rooms are big and confortable with centralised aircon and good buffet breakfast. It is ideally located for buiness as well as for leisure. The staff re great and friendly.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

the hotel lives up to its reputation of good service and comfortable accommodation. it's a place worth its price. my daughter wanted to extend our stay at the hotel just lazing around and touring the city instead of going to Samal Island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hawaii
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a Continental Club Room. Arrived just after 2pm check-in time but room not ready. Front desk let us stay temporarily in a different room and the permanent room was ready after an hour. Front desk staff not friendly. Clerk did not smile or make eye contact, just kept looking at the computer screen. Also no instructions were given during check-in. The front desk called us twice in the temporary room and one more time in the permanent room to give instructions that they forgot to give while we were checking-in.

On the first night got a knock on the door, then a few seconds later the door opened with two of the staff there. I did not have time to acknowledge the knock before they entered. Fortunately I was not undressed, showering or doing something else that required privacy. They explained that they were there for turndown service. I was furious that they actually barged in. My girlfriend called the manager because I was ready to check-out. Assistant manager came to apologize and explained that there is a switch to indicate that we want privacy. This was not explained when we checked-in or when the hotel porter took us to the room. No more privacy problems after that first night.

Our Continental Club Room had a great mountain view of Davao City. I recommend the ocean view which we could see from the Continental Club Lounge. The lounge was nice and service there excellent. Breakfast and daily food, snacks and drinks provided there was very good. The Continental Club staff was always available to prepare another drink or help serve the guests.

The Café Marco buffet was excellent. The Lobby Lounge live band was good and the evening atmosphere there very comfortable.

Room was comfortable but showing signs of age. Bed comfortable and sheets and towels clean. Shower water temperature was inconsistent and varied from warm to hot. Not enough to get burned but annoying.

Overall experience was a mixed bag. Continental Club Lounge excellent. Room just ok. Hotel service inconsistent. Not sure if I will go back there again on my next trip to Davao.

Room Tip: Recommend Ocean View room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This hotel is an all time favourite. Situated in the heart of Davao City it is ideally located for business as well as for leisure. The staff is extremely friendly. The spacious room we had was overlooking the city and the coast line and was well equipped The breakfast buffet offers a wide variety of international and Filipino dishes. We have stayed here in the past and we will stay here in the future whenever we visit Davao.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the upper floors that allow a breathtaking view of the city. You may also hear...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Service is very poor... we had an event last week at the ballroom. Waitersare sooooo stupid. They dont know what to do. Spoon and fork are so dirty glasses has sopt and hand print i saw one waiter hols the rim of the glass. One of the waiters sleeves get into the food he is serving. Waitees are particular with the tipping that they wilk get from the guest. I had a friend who stay in the hotel and ask the vallet parkerto park his car later he found out that his romeo oakley got lost...

• Stayed June 2013
Muntinlupa, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed at the Presidential Suite of Marco Polo for 3 days to attend the famous Kadayawan Festival. I was booking this suite last year but the Kadayawan schedule was erratic and I ended up losing the suite. I knew it had 2 levels, 2 bedrooms, and indoor and outdoor jacuzzis.

The outdoor jacuzzi is gone and in its place is an outdoor bar. The second bedroom, to my surprise, is not part of the rate quoted. I had always assumed it is part of the rate like the presidential suite of the other hotel I stayed in last year. I did not take the second room even when offered at a discount. I felt it was their fault not saying so at the onset. No point arguing, I am not a difficult guest.

The jacuzzi wouldn't work, and a crew came in the day after to fix it. The phones would not connect to Housekeeping nor to Concierge, and I had to call operator to connect to anybody. The crew came again to fix the phones. I was belatedly told the room was renovated and I was the first occupant of the renovated suite. Oh well.

In spite of these hiccups, note I am rating the hotel VERY GOOD. That is because management officials have acted on everything with dispatch. And they have accommodated my other requests - - - like a spot for me and my friends at the VIP stage reserved for hotel guests at a vantage point near the parade. Plus the fact that the suite is clean and wide and beautiful. I also had a perfect view of the sea and Samal Island.

Buffet breakfast has a good spread. The lobby lounge, while small, is cozy and comfortable. A good stop-over point.

The Marco Polo Lounge at the 17th floor offers a fantastic view and offered cocktails and aperitifs until after sunset. Great service, too.

I commend the staff of the hotel. In the heat of the Kadayawan with I assume a 100% occupancy, there was no lag in service. I will be back.

And I will not have qualms about recommending this hotel (if you do not mind the bodysearch on all guests as you enter).

Room Tip: Get a sea view room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

well it's a bit more expensive compared to other hotels so i am expecting a lot from them. overall i had a nice, comfortable stay in marco polo. there's only one downside for us, the concierge lost 3 of our bags and that was unacceptable for such an expensive 4-star hotel and thankfully it was returned to us as soon as we came back from our activities in the city. however, the other personnel who attended to us were very courteous, friendly & accommodating. i even had a fun last night at the eagles bar at the ground floor. the bartenders were really accommodating & fun to talk to. knowing that we were the only young people inside the bar, they even played electrohouse music especially for us.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Marco Polo Davao? Share your experiences!