“A pleasant surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Telephone + 63 82 221 0888
Portland, OR
“A pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

The Marco Polo being a "high end" hotel is expected to have pricing commensurate. It does with an exception on Friday and Saturday nights with an excellent (pricey by Philippine standards), but a real bargain compared to ala carte. Food is excellent and varied. Way better than expected at a hotel restaurant. One of the items on the buffet was brown crabs in garlic sauce which were excellent. The entire buffet cost was slightly more than the ala carte cost for 100 grams and one may go back as many times as one wishes.

Many of the items are unusual compared to the usual Southern Chinese cuising. There is a pleasant mix of regions on offer. The soups are excellent as are some of the starter.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

philippines
“Lunch Dimsum Buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

First time to eat here, as I was a hotel guest. The lunch dimsum buffet looked attractive, and reception was great. While eating, I noticed we were only 6 people, and there were three waiters.The food selection was not bad, as they tasted authentic. I felt that the dimsum was not so hot as dimsum should be, steaming hot. They also served other food. The most obviouse thing that I notice is that they keep running out of food. Considering that we were only 6 people. Obviously there was something wrong. It is a pity that this chinese restaurant has good decor and ambience.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
davao
“Pricey but good..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I love the food in this place. Needless to say, the price is way too high. I would definitely love this place to have those various choices of buffet all you can eat like what other hotels offer.

Visited September 2012
Manila, Philippines
“Excellent food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We went here for a late lunch after our Manila-Davao flight. Even if they were about to close for the afternoon (it was 2:30 and almost the end of their lunch service), they accommodated us. Only, we were warned beforehand that they were almost out of the dimsum buffet served during lunchtime.

We ordered ala carte--a plate of Spicy Seafood Noodles and Hakao. The noodles were fantastic, with lots of shrimp,squid, and crab and vegetables. It was good enough for 3 people. The hakao was also delicious. My only gripe with the noodles was that it lacked "spicyness, but I'm not holding it against them since it was almost closing time, and they did give us the spicy garlic chili oil, which was very very good. I mixed it with my noodles and then it became spicy.:P

I would love to try their other dishes (and the dimsum buffet) on my next visit to Davao.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Hen Hao Chi (Very Good Eats)!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The moment you get off the Lifts and walk into Lotus Court, your senses shift & attune itself to the luxurious, modern Oriental warm interiors. Everything in the restaurant spells of chic Chinese opulence - from the Three Wise Men statues welcoming you at the Foyer between the Lifts to the reception area, the bar, the carpets, tables, chairs, wall treatments & finishing, gorgeous lights around the main dining area... everything comes together to transport you to a special dining spot right in the heart of Davao City.

The dining staff headed by a very capable, courteous and knowledgeable Restaurant Manager warmly welcomes me and walks with me to my perfectly laid out table while
exchanging pleasantries. In less than a minute, a towel and a fragrant, hot Jasmine tea is poured into my teacup while I intently go through the menu. He politely asks if he could assist me with the dishes Lotus Court has to offer which I could only gratefully accept, since I wanted to be assured of an excellent Chinese meal; and I was not disappointed.

From the choices of delectable Dimsum to the perfectly-cooked, piping hot Bamboo Pith with Prawns Soup, the Yin-Yang Garoupa (a Lotus Court signature dish), In-house made Tofu with Mixed Mushroom and Broccoli, 8-Treasure Chicken (a "crowd favorite"), the traditional Steamed Garoupa, Yang Chow Fried Rice and the heavenly dessert that will make you sigh and roll your eyes and gaze Heaven-bound (hence, the heavenly dessert!) - Dark Chocolate-filled Buchi.
<I will let the photos speak for themselves!>

Lotus Court at Marco Polo Davao Hotel.
A must for for all gastronomic seekers of the yummiest Chinese cuisine in the most magnificent ambiance and location this side of the world has to offer.

Hen hao chi!