“Once is enough” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 49 Hotels in Davao City
Philippines
“Once is enough”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

This hotel looks new outside, but rather old inside the room.
They even charge complementary water wherein it should be free. Have to argue with them before they refund the money. They also charge a bottled of water that was ordered and paid from their cafe area that was brought inside the room... they insist water is from their ref which is not.
Have to talk to their manager, seems their concierge are too stubborn to listen to customer explanation.
Breakfast food is terrible.
Will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Request for a room facing the street.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

I had a chance to stay at this hotel for 2 nights as my sister in law booked it for everyone. My general idea of this hotel was that it was young and fresh as it was just a year and a half but I was totally disappointed with how a year and a half hotel would look now, it actually looks 5 years old to me. However, the location of this hotel was perfect as it was walking distance from Penong's, a local restaurant famous in Davao. It is also a mere 5 minute walk to Gaisano mall and a 10 minute ride to Abreeza Mall.
Entering the lobby would give you a feel that this hotel looks young. The waiting area has several sets of sofa which is located at the left side. Further down is the mini restaurant where they hold their free buffet Filipino breakfast. On the right is a grand staircase and a table for its Europcar car rental which by the way is SUPER NOT RECOMMENDED. Behind that is their reception.
We arrived at 11AM. Since the standard rule of checking in is at 2PM, we really had no choice but to have lunch at nearby Penong's. By 1PM, the girl was kind enough to offer us a room. They have 4 elevators which is good for a provincial hotel. We were assigned at room 515 which is at the 5th floor. They also have their mini indoor pool and jacuzzi in this floor. I entered the room and just left my things because I was in a hurry. When i went back to retire, That's the time I checked my room. The room has an aircon which is located at the corner awkwardly and when I was about to charge my Iphone, there I saw their walls filled with thick dust and stains which was unacceptable for me. I immediately called the reception and they instructed me to call the housekeeping myself which was again a no-no. I requested to talk to the manager and he immediately went up to check. He agreed and apologized and after a few minutes, he upgraded us to a junior suite which I think was the right thing to do.
We transferred to room 520. Room was huge with a sofa and a bigger bathroom and a cold aircondition. 1 king size bed setup but I requested for a mattress for my daughter. We were able to sleep at 12 because of the hassle.
The next day, I woke up early because of the water dripping noise fro the aircon. This was irritating but I didn't complain anymore.
In general, hotel could have passed if the layout of each room was better and of course, cleaner. I will definitely not stay here again. I would rather stay at the bit more expensive hotel just a few blocks down.

• Stayed May 2012
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in April, 2012. Good location, very modern hotel. I visited during summer season, very hot, air conditioning works good in this hotel compared to others I stayed in. The rooms are large with comfortable beds and hot water.
The staff is very friendly and helpful, they go out of there way to help you with anything.
The location is good, mall (more a/c), places to eat, bars are within walking distance, although cab rides are very cheap there.
Breakfast buffet not the best, but is ok. I will stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the 5th floor have breezeways so the hallway not as hot as on other floors.. this is al...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

WARNING: The following is a review that AGADO dot com (intentionally mis-spelt) DOES NOT WANT YOU TO SEE as of 7th April 2012!!!

Good:
+ New hotel
+ Entrance bright and cheery, well-kept facilities
+ Early check-in allowed, didn't have to wait until 2:00pm
+ Staff friendly but not intrusively friendly
+ Oasis in a rather dodgy area
+ Near mall and eateries
+ Substantial breakfast
+ Good and effective in-room air-conditioning
+ Nice small pool and spa

Gripes:
- Surrounding area rather dodgy but still safe
- No in-room kettle
- No in-room hair-dryer
- No in-room basic stationery such as pens and writing paper
- No in-room safe deposit box
- No bathtub, just a standing shower
- Needed to buy my own power socket adapter for non-American appliances
- Keycard extremely flakey, need to approach reception to re-encode keycard each time I need to re-enter my room. Very inconvenient. The other guest don't seem to have the same problem. The problem persisted even after I changed my room.
-- Flies landing on unused cutlery and food in the dining area. I took a photo of three such flies. Not good.
-- Cockroach on bread basket and toaster. Not good.
- Cable TV signal outage
- General power blackout on last day, partial emergency power restored within 30 minutes. Receptionist called to apologize. Good.

Overall:
+ Generally pleasant and enjoyable stay despite the gripes.
+ Hotel needs to improve its standards to meet the standards expected of a three-and-a-half star hotel.
+ Recommended with some reservations.

Addendum: I stayed there for several days recently. For the price I paid, this hotel DID NOT offer good value for money. It is currently, in my opinion, at best, a two to two-and-a-half star hotel. If they continue to charge those kind of prices and not improve their standards, you would do well to give this hotel a miss if you are looking for good value for your money.

Room Tip: Fifth floor is the tiny pool/spa level. Get a room where the key card does not flake out on you alm...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2012

The rooms are big and clean enough. Nothing special about the food. Their rates have recently gone up so I'm not sure anymore in terms of value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the 5th floor where the spa and fitness center is. Hallway there is pretty open com...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

Stayed 6 nights in mid Jan 2012
The hotel is supposedly quite new however some things looked quite dated. there's a huge crack in the floor of the elevator, the room-service menus are old and worn.
The rooms are ok. I had a pool-room for a few nights, the room was very small but decent. The sliding door which opens onto the pool-deck is very flimsy. With a laptop and cash in my room I was hoping nothing would happen which didnt. The pool is small but ok.
The breakfast was average. I liked the hotel, the location is close to everything and the staff are very nice and good. the hotel is reasonably priced and i had no issues at all. I would recommend the hotel as a 3 - 3.5 star.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Davao City, Davao City, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Last Feb 8 2012, my Apple iPad 2 which was in my small canvas bag which I left in Room 513 of the hotel was STOLEN when my aunt, who was then a guest of the hotel, and I stepped out to have dinner. We were only out from 7:45pm to around 10:30pm. While we were out, 2 housekeepers were still inside of our room when we left. The hotel didn't replace it because accrdg. to their investigations and i qoute "there is no proof that any of the Hotel's staff or personnel was or were behind the loss". The investigation were not thoroughly done when it happened and the manager wasn't even apologetic for the unfortunate incident.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Pinnacle Hotel and Suites? Share your experiences!