“good if you are a budget” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sychar Garden Hotel

Sychar Garden Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Davao City
Sychar Garden Hotel
148 J. P. Laurel Avenue, Davao City, Mindanao, Philippines   |
Ranked #28 of 107 Davao City B&B and Inns
Manila, Philippines
“good if you are a budget”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

we always stay here whenever we are in Davao. We sometimes tried another inexpensive hotel but we are disappointed so we came back here.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

16 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

This hotel is good for someone on a budget. It is nice, clean, and service is good. I stayed in the deluxe for 1250p a night. We always request the 3rd floor (4th floor). They use the spanish way of numbering floors. The 2nd floor they say is the 1st floor, and so on. But its ok.

The rooms are a no fills room. It has ac, hot/cold water shower, tv, and a fridge. Me and my wife love it here due to all this and it's central location in the city. Pretty much right next to Victoria Mall, and a 50p ride to Abreeza and Gaisano Mall. So its fine by us. We will certainly stay here again. When I come to visit my wife she lives about 120km north of Davao City, with no hot water, ac, or a shower. So this is a nice respite.

Room Tip: Never ever stay on 1st floor it is nosy in the morning.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

I was suprised when I 1st entered my room it was very clean and tidy the shower was very good hot and constant pressure very clean bathroom nice big fluffy towels, the aircon was very cold which was a change to most you find in the philippines. The free breakfast was very tasty I always got toast instead of rice as I have overdosed on this since here in phils very close to major malls lots of good food close by I never had a problem with the staff as always willing to help,I will come back again when next in Davao Fair price for a couple as 1300 php per night plus 2 brekafast included

Room Tip: always see room before you stay
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
ithaca, ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

I think they charge about 1250 ( a litter over $30 usd) for a "double deluxe" and about 900 p (a little over $20 usd) for a single deluxe. "Deluxe" means the room has a refrigerator. There is a mall walking distance from the hotel with places to eat and a supermarket, so if you are on a budget, you dont have to spend a fortune to eat...and you can bring stuff back to the room and keep it cold if you want to.
Everything is within walking distance, including shopping and "very nice" restaurants (try the Emerald restaurant or the Emperor restaurant in the Victory Plaza parking lot if you like great seafood and authentic chinese fare).
The Sychar is basic, clean, cheap (and in inexpensive) and the few times I've needed anything in terms of service, i got it quickly. Oh, and the room price includes a hot breakfast and coffee/juice in the morning (filipino style breakfast). I'm a retired american living about 100 south of Davao. When i need to stay in Davao overnight, 90% of the time I choose the Sychar. And on top of everything, wifi is free in the lobby/open breakfast area.

Room Tip: they do not hold rooms past 3:30 pm
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

You get what you pay for. I have stayed here here before because the location is good for the two malls, but the rooms are basic. The worst thing about this hotel is the service - it is appallling! It has been the same on both the occasions I have stayed here. Don't bother to get up for the free breakfast - rice and an egg ans soem 3 in 1 Sam Mig coffee. The service at breakfast is laughable. The same waiter as before - completely useless. Will after 10 minutes of sitting at the table, provid eyou with a cup of hot water, the you will wait another 10 minutes and after several requests for the menu and coffee, will then provid eyou with a piece of paper to sign before he will provid eyou with a sachet of coffee and a sachet of creamer. No signature - no coffee, When I complained about the standard of service, the reception staff were not interested, but I got my sachet of coffee and creamer before I had to sign their silly bit of paper. The Hotel as got a poor reputaion - no wonder. Also, I think many of the beds have 'mites' because whenever I have stayed there, I ave been itching for a day after. Next tiem will pay extra and stay somewhere else. Would not recommend to stay more than one night but have a god shower to in the morning to wash off the bed mites.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo
Cebu City, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2010

I stayed in the hotel for 3 days together with my aunt and my mom. I chose it because the location is accessible to 2 malls and there were restaurants around.

But we had a bad experience there. My aunt's cellphone was stolen only after a couple of hours away from our room. The cellphone was not misplaced as I've seen where my aunt put it before we left. When we came back and realized it was not there we ask for the management to ask who were the one cleaning the room. And mind you we asked nicely. They were not helpful at all. My aunt was fuming with anger as they don't seem to take it seriously. And we heard them saying something that was kind of rude and laugh around as if it's very normal situation there.

I do not recommend this hotel. the service also sucks as you go to the front desk and nobody there . have to keep waiting if i need somethng from them.

• Stayed November 2010
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2010

I've stayed here twice and I love the location, the low price, and the showers the most. The showers in each of my rooms were extremely powerful as hot water hit me like a strong massage both in the morning and at night.

I stay in the standard cheapest room, the one without a refrigerator because I just need a place to sleep for the night since I'm always out with my gf's family during the day. The tv is minature but it works. The bed is single and small, but just what you would expect for an old building.

I only stayed in the back side rooms away from the highway, so it was nice and quiet. The aircon in the room was the old window style but worked well, and both times mine were ok.

There is only wi-fi in the lobby, and it's free.

The free breakfast isn't great just coffee and the food was basic, and one time mine was cold, as I overslept, but for less than 20 dollars a night what would one expect.

My room was under P800 a night, so if you can find a great location for such a low price, please inform me at [--], thanks.

**** I would NOT write home about this place because it's not a great hotel, but it's good if you want a low budget place that is safe. The staff was super nice to me,

I couldn't tell you anything about the larger rooms because I haven't seen them yet.

One additional note: Since the place is low priced, I would say it gets a small amount of "short-time" visitors after a night of partying on weekends.

You can walk to a real nice coffee house that has free wi-fi, practically next door toward your left out of the front door, plus you can walk to a mc d's or kfc toward the right side plus a nice mall too.

Parking is only ok, almost dangerous, so be careful and take advantage of the guard to stop traffic for you as you back yourself back into the busy street.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Been to Sychar Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!