“Drifters Apartel is Home away from home this how my husband and I describe it.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Drifters Apartel and British Bar

You added Drifters Apartel and British Bar to your Saves list
Drifters Apartel and British Bar
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Pili Street | Nova Tierra Sub Division Lanang, Davao City, Mindanao 8000, Philippines   |
Ranked #2 of 49 Hotels in Davao City
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

October 2012 my husband and I stayed for 20 days at Drifters Apartel and British Pub for the second time around, I'll tell you guys this place is amazing, staff and management are very friendly and hospitable if you need anything their always happy and willing to help. Foods and drinks always meet our expectation. The place is immaculately clean.

Room Tip: All their rooms are clean.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Davao City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Well I was at Drifters recently, but not to stay there, but to watch a sporting event. Being an avid baseball fan, I was in Davao during the All Star Game, so using my friend google to help find a place to watch the game, I stumbled upon Drifters. When I arrived the waitress there was super nice, she kept checking on me, if I needed anything, very pleasant. They allowed me to sit there for three hours and watch the game, free of charge! And I might mention also that I found the pizza there to be better than anything else Ive had in Davao! Next time I come back to Davao, I will definitely be staying here if not for a night, maybe a week.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Many thanks for this Review.
Drifters always shows major sports tv, our staff are there to make you feel at home.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I have been in Davao a number of times. I have stayed in the Marco Polo a couple of times and probably 4 or 5 times at Drifters... the last time was in December 2012. To me it is an oasis where you can relax in the middle of a busy city.
I am booking in again for two nights in July and just happened to read the recent comments. I am amazed at the preceding two reviews! From the wording used appears that they have all been written by the same person with a view of putting people off from staying at Drifters. In this regard I am perfectly aware that Burt and Marnet have had an ongoing problem from a "particular" person who owns a similar business and who is trying to discourage people from staying with Burt & Marnet, hence the disparaging comments/reviews. (read back further on the time line and see all the good reviews written!!!!).

Yes, Drifters is not a 5 star hotel, but it is a "boutique" apartel frequented by the local expats. It is heavily booked out by overseas visitors Yes, it is situated in a guarded compound or subdivision.. Security is excellent, and all the taxi drivers do know where it is. Pricing is very good and the meals are excellent. As for the pool, well it is absolutely clean and good for a dip with your children, but if you want to swim 500 metres a day, then stay elsewhere or swim in the sea.

The staff at Drifters are friendly and the internet there has never been a problem for me, either from the rooms or the pool area. For myself when I stay there I am continually online back to my office in NZ.... never a problem.

For myself I have traveled extensively throughout the Philippines.....Drifters is one of my favourite haunts. Good food, good company, good accommodation. Indeed it is nice to find a place that serves good expat fodder!

Anyway, do not be put off by the disparaging remarks from a few people. Try Drifters, enjoy the ambiance and the hospitality and judge for yourself what it is like

Room Tip: decide whether you wish to cook or not ..then you can book a kitchen unit if you need to. ... but th...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
We welcome reviews like this, down to earth and true to the point.
Many of our visitors are repeat customers now, many are also recomended by people that like our place.
Unfortunately there are a few people about that think their opinion is the only opinion that people should read, Some people even write reveiws under different names, Some people even write reveiws without ever staying here.
Please all make a point of talking to Marnet about likes and dislikes as myself Bert cannot aleays be here, If theres anything that could be done to improve your stay pls advise her.
Written by Bert.
Anaheim CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Drifters Davao is unlike many hotels you'll stay at anywhere. This is my 2nd time staying over several years. Remember this is the Philippines, so in light of that.. let's review this quaint place:

Pros
1. Friendly personal service from the staff.
2. Nice private rooms
3. Good selection of channels and cable TV
4. internet in the cafe and rooms (Also see cons)
5. Bert the owner (if he's in town) is very personable and really wants you to have a nice stay.
6. Clean rooms (Also see cons)
7. A/C is pretty good.
8. Price is reasonable.
9. Quiet neighborhood
10. The food is fine, for the most part.

Cons:
1. Internet in the rooms is unstable. Goes in and out. The signal is not very strong. Could use more routers or a newer router.
2. The shower, restrooms, and the room itself can use some remodeling. My shower drain was overflowing for the first day.
3. The rooms can use more light.
4. The neighborhood is off the main road, so it takes some time for you to get a cab and to find the hotel from the main road.
5. Get a map or memorize directions to the hotel, some cab drivers can't find the place.
6. Wouldn't advise walking the neighborhood at night, although it's probably safe, there appears to be some stray dog packs roaming around. Not sure how "aggressive" they are. But they do bark at you.

Other comments:
1. I wish they offered fresh juice or fresh smoothies. Should be easy since fruits are cheaply available in the philippines, especially Davao.
2. Difficult to find the 'sweet spot' in the Philippines, in terms of value, price and service. "Remember where you are..". Thus Drifters is a safe bet.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Oslo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

This place is in a subdivision and is extremely hard to find, difficult to get out of and not easy to get back to at night. This was the biggest turn off for us. The building encompasses a very small area, including a pool that is okay if you want to sit and have a drink, but not really for swimming.

Rooms have kitchens if you want or not, with a slight price difference. It’s better to go for the kitchen. We found that the window blinds let too much light in at morning, which we prefer to sleep without.

Room rates range from P950 to P1750. You can get a free night if you stay a week, which is cool.

If you are claustrophobic at all or do not like the closeness of other guests, this place is not for you. The Wi-Fi works fine and staff overall are very friendly. If you seek people to hang out with, this may be your place, if you want more privacy then look elsewhere. Rooms are clean.

Due to the location, we may not stay there again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Hello, this is Bert the owner.
Sombody that stayed with us Feb 2013 and waits until April 2013 to complain? I really wish you would I.D yourself while you were here.
Something about this reveiw dosnt sound right. Get a free night? You stayed Feb 2013? the free nights offer was not introduced until April 13 2013.
Before April 13 2013 we offerd discounts depending on how long people like to stay with us which could amount to 30% off the bill.
Rooms with kitchen if you like or not depends on availability at the time, and confermation of the booking.
If you ask the taxi driver to bring you to Drifters, Pili st Nova Terra you can get access 24hrs a day.
We are what we are, are location is clearly marked on our web site.
Drifters continues to give value for money.
My advice for anyone reading this reveiw is check out the 9 reveiws from the same guest on Davao hotels.
Regards from Bert and Roy, R.W.Y.A.
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Nice hotel but if you are English-speaking, it is best to deal with the manager directly and exclusively. The hired help does not seem to understand English very well, and they project a general sense of apathy.

The other problem with this place is the location. It is inside a gated sub-division and it's a veritable maze getting there.

Lastly, I ordered the banana pancakes off the menu on my first morning, but was told that they don't have any fruit and generally don't stock fruit. I skipped breakfast and went hungry. BUT, I did request that they have bananas for breakfast the next morning. When I went to the cafe to order, they told me that they didn't have any pancakes. When I asked the manager about this, she said that she did not know about my request, but would send someone out to buy bananas. I then had to wait over an hour for my breakfast to be prepared.

I suppose it is my own fault for expecting to be able to order fruit in the Philippines.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Drifters Davao D, Owner at Drifters Apartel and British Bar, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
This is Bert, Im the owner of Drifters Davao.
I heard about your breakfast problems and Ive just read your reveiw.
Regards the breakfast I totaly agree with you, It should never had happend.
Its too late for you, but ive now taken serious steps to make sure this never happens again, and the staff have certainly understood my english.
Regards Drifters location if you ask the taxi driver for Drifters, Pili St, Nova Terra subdivison he will bring you directly to the gate.
Should you require a taxi to go out just ask the girls to get you a taxi 15 to 20 min berfore you wish to go out.
Im sorry that you feel our staff show a feeling of apathy towards you, but our girls do try to do their best and they do try to understand and speak english.
Down stairs in our Bar there is a famouse sign that was started by a now past away freind of mine which relates to anyone visiting the Philippines.
The sign says, R.W.Y.A. Translated its, Rember where you are.
Noosa, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We have just stayed at Drifters and could not have been more happy with the service from the staff, the location and the overall stay at this property. The owners are very friendly and more than approachable, making sure you have everything you need to make your stay great. All staff will go out of their way to help you. I will be definitely recommending this to all of my friends and family!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Drifters Apartel and British Bar? Share your experiences!