“Was expecting more” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point

You added Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point to your Saves list
Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
Pennsylvania Avenue | VOA Compound, San Fernando La Union, Luzon 2500, Philippines   |
Manila, Philippines
“Was expecting more”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

It’s hard to book and reserve at Thunderbird, Poro on summers and peak seasons. They’re always fully booked! That’s why I was just so happy to land on 4 deluxe rooms on a Sunday to Monday slot in the month of May!! Woohoo! Was suppose to book two nights but it just can’t work so we just had to settle. J

Each deluxe room has 2 queen size beds so given the big party that we have, this comfortably fits in four people each room!! Everybody happy.

It was a hot sunny day when we arrived but the welcome drinks and the cold towels soothe the overwhelming heat! Checking in four rooms took some time but the front desk guys were welcoming and doing all their best to make it fast. Our rooms were ready and they made it appoint we all stayed together in one floor. We were on the third floor. Nicer view overlooking the sea, the setback is: there are no elevators! This was my problem for our not-so-young folks. Walking up the stairs is a feat for them! There were staff who would bring up your bags/luggages but you’d pity the guys as they just had to do it and since it’s hot (37 degrees), they were really perspiring. A big tip for the big effort!

The rooms were clean but the cover sheets were color brown. I would have liked the white sheets better, as featured in their site. They have big bathrooms but not bath tub. The hot and cold water was not working well too. It does not get as hot as it should. Good thing it’s summer. They should also check their doors. There’s no double lock and they’re not just well aligned. It seems close but you have to really push it well so that it locks well.

The beach and the pool area were also nice. Lifeguards were attentive and pool towels were well provided. Swimming was the major thing we did!!! Pool tiles will just have to be checked from time to time as some edges really need some fixing. Some sheds at the bay needs some fixing as well.

Olive’s Restaurant is quite pricey but they have good and tasty pasta. Breakfast served is also okay. During breakfast, they served espada (dried sword fish) and it was good and crunchy. The vinegar that went with it was great! Overheard one hotel guest asking if they sell.

The casino is far from the hotel itself although they could shuttle you going there. We didn’t try though as we have kids in tow. We just went to that area to have dinner at Vegas café. It’s buffet with unlimited iced tea at Php300 per head (promo rate). Food was average. Nothing spectacular.

There’s renovation on going at the south wing of the hotel. It may probably last a few more months. Better if you ask for rooms at the north wing. There are villas nearby but it’s quite a walk to the hotel, pools and the beach.

The resort may have some kind of influence of the Santorini islands of Greece but, probably just slight. Haven’t been to Greece. Haha.

Overall, we had a nice stay but I admit I was expecting more.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Love the Santorini-inspired architecture, the beach and the warmth of the people. I had my wedding there and it was all worth the long drive.My family enjoyed the night swimming in the pool and the early swim in the sea.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Anna B,

Thank you for choosing Thunderbird Resorts to celebrate your special day. We are delighted to know that you were satisfied with our premises and services. It'll be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Best regards from Thunderbird Resorts- Poro!

Marvin Lanuza
Hotel Manager
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

very nice lobby and area however, limited restaurants, maybe the 8 hr blackout from out villa ruined our experience however, my nieces wedding ended up beautiful. the beach is rocky and im not sure if its safe for swimming. the grass area infront of the lobby was dead dry.. still a pleasant place to visit though

Stayed May 2014
Baguio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

A few weeks ago, we decided to unwind at Thunderbird Resorts in La Union. It was the second visit, the first having been made about two years ago.

Upon arrival, we were met by several members of the bell service as well as on-the-job trainees. The hot and humid day was made even warmer by the smiles we received, the greetings and of course, the searing ball of light that was the sun. We were offered a cooler - I think it was four seasons juice, which, despite being refreshing, didn't cool us down for long. We were also handed fresh copies of a popular newspaper to keep us occupied while waiting for our turn at the counter.

Our room wasn't ready yet, so we waited for around 15 minutes after getting to the front desk. However, the staff were chatty in a friendly way, so we didn't really mind the delay. Besides, being Monday, we understood that people were just checking out.

When we got to the room, I went to the bathroom, and I noticed that the floor area was spacious. My roommate surmised that they took out the jacuzzi, hence the space. I added that the jacuzzis probably caused a water supply problem. I forgot to ask if other rooms still have a jacuzzi installed.

After resting for a few hours, my group went to the Vegas Cafe located at the casino pavilion. We decided to walk from the hotel, which is about 500m from the restaurant. The thing is there's no walkway from the hotel to the restaurant, which meant that we had to walk all the way to the main gate of the hotel and out onto the road. I think they should make a walkway just for the purpose, unless they have one and we simply missed it.

The food at Vegas Cafe is served buffet style. The place is small given that it serves both hotel guests and gamblers, some of whom are issued coupons for free dinner. I understand they are the ones who come from nearby Baguio using the casino shuttle. A side story - I was getting food when a lady cut in behind me. When her companions told her to go to the back of the line, she uttered, "They were just issued coupons while we're paying for our meal, so it's ok." What a haughty remark from a lady with an attitude that reminds me of what comes out of a cow's rear end.

Anyway, as for the food, well, it was so-so, as most hotel food go. They served seafood with garlic, ribs, potatoes, buttered vegetables and some other items. The ribs were too sweet for my taste but at least were tender. They served raspberry-flavored tea that was also too sweet. We had to add water to lessen the sweetness. They ran out of salad, which was unusual since it was only around 7 in the evening. Somebody had to go get me a plateful from the kitchen. I hope it wasn't taken from other plates. Hehe. Actually, the problem was that while the main courses were constantly replenished, the salad bar and dessert station were not as quickly re-filled. I also did not like the salad dressing, which again was rather sweet. What is it between Pinoys and sugar anyway? We have a love affair with the stuff. I wish we'd lessen its use especially in food.

We went back to the hotel afterwards. The rooms at Thunderbird are great. I have no complaints about the beds, the airconditioning, the bathroom. Well, maybe I do have a very minor beef about the bathroom. The glass walls of the shower have a gap which causes water to leak onto the floor when one is taking a shower. That's about it. Toiletries and towels are available as they should be.

We had breakfast at the Olives Restaurant just off the lobby. Again, it was kinda small for such a big resort. The breakfast fare consisted of both local and continental stuff - you know, daing, sausages, bread and jam among others. It was a good buffet but the yogurt was watery.

Lunch was Mediterranean-inspired, so they said, We had a salad which would have been great except that - you guessed it - the dressing had sugar in it. Grrrrrrrr. The blue marlin was great though, and portions huge.

Oh, we went swimming, both in the pool and the beach. The pool has a max depth of 4 feet, which is good since there were kids and adults who can't swim. I like the "waterfall". It gave us free massages. I noticed a lot of watermarks on surfaces, algae in places where the water did not reach, and one waterfall that wasn't working.

As for the beach, well, the problem is that the sand isn't as fine (it was probably naturally-crushed coral) as in other places. You also have to walk from the hotel to the beach area, which means a short but hot walk away.

We availed of the massage service by the way. The masseuse was good at what she does. I felt sufficiently refreshed and relaxed, and had an easy time getting to sleep.

Overall, we had a great time because:
1. The friendly and patient hotel staff.
2. Comfy rooms.
3. Overall aura of the place.

Points that led to minus points:
1. Sugar in food (too much I say)
2. Watermarks under the bridge that was over the pool and algae along the rim of the pool. This is a very minor minus point though. Very very minor. But you know, being a 5-star resort, at least make the place spotlessly clean.

We will be going back. Definitely.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Baguio, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

THUNDERBIRD RESORT - simply exudes the beauty of La Union's hedden GEM. I love this place, it's very peaceful and calm, the rooms are really clean, the service is superb and if your looking for a perfect privacy of your family, this is the best place to stay when you want to visit LA UNION.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Baguio, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

I have been to Thunderbird several times and have celebrated my birthday here for 2 consecutive years. I totally love the ambiance, the rooms and the infinity pool. If you want a relaxing getaway this is the perfect place to be.
Rooms are modern and clean, amenities are complete ( although every year it seems that they lessen the room amenities), bathroom is clean, mini kitchen is provided with basic utensils.
Breakfast buffet is just ok with just the basics. During breakfast,kids are given 1 box of crayons and coloring paper which i appreciate very much--helps keep my son keep still.
The beach is a walk from the hotel, although not advisable for swimming, it is still a nice place to relax and unwind. far from the hustle and bustle of city life.
Service is ok but can still be improved.
Would definitely keep coming back ti this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Paranaque, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My girlfriend (my fiancee now) and I booked for 4d3n stay in this wonderful hotel. It is our first time to have a luxury trip. That's why I made this trip very special and my girlfriend did not know what was coming. What I love in this hotel is they accomodated my request for assistance in my wedding proposal. Thanks to Ms. Celean Ortega for arranging everything for us.

As for the review, I strongly recommend to book a long stay here so that guests can really experience the great services offered by the hotel. Staffs are courteous, they always great you with a smile. As for us, they keep greeting us congratulations because of our engagement. Foods are well-presented and very appetizing. The serving is big that one rice meal can be split into two. If you cannot consume everything in one seating, just have it take-out and request to reheat it on your next meal. We love the breakfast buffet. You can choose from breads, salads, fruits, cereals, rice meals, siopao and siomai, cold and hot drinks, and etc. Rooms are spacious. Housekeeping always do a good job in keeping our room clean. View from the veranda is relaxing. You can just sit, relax and have a perfect view of the sea. We travel by commuting and we recommend to book an advance ticket in Partas to experience a Deluxe Bus. This type of buses have a lazy boy type of seats which makes travelling really comfortable. This trip has less stops and travels thru NLex, SCTex and TPLex which makes travel time faster. We left Cubao at around 11PM and reached the hotel at 5AM. Lastly, for couples who will celebrate something special in this hotel, I recommend you avail of romantic dinner package. You will be having dinner in a cabana with love songs in the background. Dinner includes a wine and a complete meal from soup, salad, steak and dessert.

For travellers who want to experience a luxurious vacation, I recommend this hotel. The hotel might be a bit pricey but the experience is well worth.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!