“Good place to Relax” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point

and 1 more site!
You added Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point to your Saves list
Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pennsylvania Avenue | VOA Compound, San Fernando La Union, Luzon 2500, Philippines   |
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
“Good place to Relax”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We are excited to stay in Thunderbird Resort Because of its Santorini touch architecture.
Me and my family stayed in their villa for my dad's birthday, A bit pricey but its worth it. Check-in is quick with nice and accommodating front desk, never had a problem. The Pool was but it didn't exceed my expectation because the pool is not that big. the whole place was awesome, you can take a walk or jog inside the vicinity. nice golf course but of course for the members only or if you're not a member, there will be extra charge for it.

The villa we stayed was nice with three bedrooms. 1 bedroom in the ground floor and a master's bedroom and another bedroom at the second floor. The villa is spacious, with the kitchen that we love because we cooked our favorite dishes for dinner on dad's birthday.

Free breakfast was a plus with lots of food to choose from. we love the watermelon juice which was perfect.

One thing I want the management to take action is the bedroom 2 at the second floor, because of its foul smell when you enter the room, I don't where it came from, it smells like a septic tank. I don't know. please do take action.

And by the way, I hope your Housekeepers will vacuum the carpet since lots of ants on it. =(

Another thing, there is only one thing we didn't enjoy, its the Beach. We expect to swim but I guess there is no way to swim there, I think the beach front was damage and too rocky. Dissapointed on the beach front not suitable for swimming.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear SleePLeSsCheruB,

Thank you for your recent stay in our resort. I highly appreciate your feedback in Trip Advisor and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for making time to write your comments. As we all know in our industry, we value all our guest comments because this will help us to improve our service to provide luxury experience to all our visitors.

My sincerest apologies for the unpleasant odor that you smelled from the second bedroom. Because of this, I had to temporary close the villa and I Instructed my maintenance staff to investigate thoroughly to find where the smell is coming from and to rectify the problem right away.

One of our upcoming future projects is the development of our Beach. Rest assured that all efforts will be made to keep our beach area clean and safe. Unfortunately, there are times that waves are too strong and we do not recommend our guests to swim.

I do hope that you will give us an opportunity to serve you again and to allow us to extend the quality of service you truly deserve.

If in the meantime I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me personally, or any of my manager’s on duty.

Once again, my apologies to you.

Sincerely yours,

Hotel Senior Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Cable Bay, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Today is the last day of our month long stay. This was our second month long stay (also 2010) and we just felt so comfortable during each and every day.
The hotel still has that very special feel that we felt the very first time and the staff has been absolutely spot on. If we asked for anything, nothing was a problem.
The pool setting is fantastic and the view from the rooms is as good as any I have seen.
Played games on the lawn with my son and kept thinking how lucky we were to play with the beautiful view in front of us. Room size was great and the beds were very comfortable.
Treated like royalty , we will be back in three years.
Rob Rhoda & Raidon Reich

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our family stayed here during our vacation, and wanted to experience first-hand what 5 star service in the Philippines is like. What we experienced, however, fell short of our expectations.

The first disappointment we experienced was at the front desk. We dealt with a tall gentlemen, and expected to receive the warm and courteous reception that Filipinos are known for. Instead, we were greeted by a curt, abrupt and rather rude receptionist who didn't even say "goodbye" or "thank you" after we finished checking in. Also, instead of being escorted to our room, we were told "you just go up those stairs and look for it on the second floor". Certainly not what I would consider 5-star service.

Next, after entering our room, we were impressed with the size and decor of the room. But, once again, there were flaws. One glaring problem was the faulty toilet, which would only work on the low-flush setting. Upon informing the custodian, he said we would just have to manage using it as-is until it could be repaired. We weren't even offered a similar room with a fully-functioning toilet. Maybe to the staff, a half-working toilet isn't a big issue, but it certainly is to me, and indicates a lack of concern among the staff that should not be present in a 5-star resort.

In addition, although our room was very clean upon arrival, the balcony was filthy, littered with dead bugs and bird droppings. We informed the front desk, who assured us that housekeeping services would clean it, but this never happened, preventing us from enjoying the view from our balcony.

During our second day, we needed to go out for an hour to pick up supplies. We informed the front desk, and were assured that this would be fine, and our room would be cleaned during this time. When we returned, we found ourselves locked out of our room! The locks has been reprogrammed, and we needed to ask for a new set of keys to be made. Again, not 5-star service.

The restaurant staff are hit-or-miss, at least during breakfast or lunch. Some waiters are cordial and got along well with our young daughter, while others seem to avoid your table as much as possible until its time for the bill. However, I have to give credit to one exceptional waitress, named Van...we were very impressed with her hospitality, and she went well out of her way to accommodate our needs with our daughter...she was exactly what one would expect in a 5-star restaurant. If they could let her train the rest of the staff to adopt some of her skills, I'm certain the resort would become exceptional.

Despite these many concerns, we will be returning to the resort in August before leaving the Philippines. We are hoping for a much-improved experience and will post an updated review.

• Stayed July 2013
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Cjja81,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a very detailed feedback regarding your stay. We sincerely appreciate your constructive comments as these will help us improve and do better.

I can understand how disappointed you were with us for not having been able to live up to your expectations. Rest assured that the concerned department manager was already informed about your experience to ensure that this has been noted and proper action will be taken.

I highly appreciate that you will give us an opportunity to correct the impression this has brought you on the overall performance of the hotel. We will certainly do our best to recover your trust in our service again and allow us to extend the quality of services you truly deserve. It was nice of you putting good words to Vanessa and you can be assured that she will get the credit that she deserve.

Please feel free to email me at mlanuza@thunderbird-asia.com and I will be glad to personally assist for your future booking with us.

Best regards,

Cainta, Rizal, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

From the entrance, to the view, to the welcome team, front desk team, bellman, to our room, our food especially our breakfast to the pool, to the beach, cleanliness, people & everything here was perfect.
Relaxing, refreshing & peaceful paradise.
Our family really enjoyed staying here we love the service, the food, the friendly & accommodating staff & my kids really love the pool & the beach. Special thanks to
Mr. Ferdinand Molina of F&B, food in the breakfast, lunch & dinner are fantastic.
A truly a perfect summer vacation for our family.
Definitely we will come back. Money worth.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear SweeTART18,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

We are happy that you appreciated the beauty and feel of our resort including our staff and the amenities that we offer. These are our best assets and we will do our best to keep and maintain them.

Your good words inspire us to continue to do our best to provide all our guests with great service.

We do hope that you will come and visit us again in the future.

Best regards,

Asheville, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

People here are wonderful. The staff go out of their way to accommodate the guests. I would give more than 5 stars if I could. Food is very good and reasonable price wise. We were a group of 16 and we had dinner for approx. $200.00 including tip. Our only complaint is that beach and pool access is not handicapped friendly. The stairs are quite steep also. If you have knee problems it could present a problem. One of our group is wheelchair bound and he went to the casino instead of the beach because of this. It all worked out. He won some money!!! I We would definitely return here, but it would be nice to have some sort of elevator in place for beach access. I told my wife, I visited a place similar when I was younger and they had installed a small chair lift, like you would find at a small ski slope. Chair lift had a wheelchair attachment. All in all, a great resort with great people. Salud. amigos.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Villafranca di Verona, Italia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Was here in april 2012.
Cons:
No early check in after a long way travel neither welcome drinks while waiting for the room.
Distant and Rocky beach front. (Prefer Kahuna's)
Didn't see any lifeguards doing rounds.
Broken jacuzzi.
Prefer Kahuna's.

Pros:
Excellent breakfast buffet and a nice swimming pool.
Very comfy beds.
nice and spacious rooms.
very clean.
Free wi-fi connection.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
San Fernando, La Union, Philippines
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

For a hotel that boasts of a five-star status, this establsihment merits a hands down in terms of customer service by hotel employees, especially the wait staff at its Olives Restaurant, who obviously lack good manners and training in treating their guests/customers well.

The waiters are poorly trained and they do not treat the customers well. I experienced, on several occasions, being discriminated and bumped off by these waiters to accommodate foriegner guests. They were not accommodating, and despite polite requests, I was ignored at times. Perhaps the wait staff should be reminded that even Filipino guests can be big tippers as well to merit their attention.

For the quality of service that this establishment provides, I would rather spend money elsewhere. Not worth the money, imho.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these San Fernando La Union hotels

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!