“Towels” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point

and 1 more site!
You added Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point to your Saves list
Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pennsylvania Avenue | VOA Compound, San Fernando La Union, Luzon 2500, Philippines   |
Quezon City, Philippines
“Towels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Our first stay here in Thunderbird was way back 2009, yearly after that we always try to spend a night or two at this hotel every time we have a road trip to Ilocos Region.

The only thing that is disappointing are their towels.
Bathroom towels, hand towels, even foot towels all look the same, not in size but in "dirty white" color. 2 years after our first stay here, I am pretty sure that it's the same batch of towels.

I don't know how often a hotel like this should replace their towels or linen. But it definitely needs a replacement.

I suggest you bring your own nice towel.

Room Tip: ask for a room with jacuzzi.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Weekend Driver,

Thank you for making us your home whenever you are in the Ilocos Region. You have provided us with a valuable insight. Rest assured that we will take this constructively to continuously improve our services.

Please do contact me on your next visit and we will make sure that you will not be disappointed.

Best regards,

GM Yves Remondeulaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

What's Great:
The Cliffs Golf Course - the fairway was well maintained and the greens were in top condition. Although a 9-hole course only, one wouldn't mind going for another 9. Holes 4 and 9 are breath-taking.....ala Pebble Beach. The view of the West Philppine Sea is stunning specially during sunset.

What's good:
The swimming pool facilities and service.

What could be better:
Olives Restaurant - the quality of the food and the price.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mr. Sonny H,

It is our great pride that you have enjoyed our Golf Course and the stunning view of our resort, our swimming pool facilities and service. We will do our best to keep these in top shape and if possible, improve these further.

We have noted your feedback to improve the food quality and selection in our Olives Restaurant. We will continue to work on these.

Thank you and please let me know whenever you plan to visit us again soon and we will do our best to assist you.

Hilo, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013 via mobile

have always had a pleasant experience staying at this resort

The Internet Connection was really fast - one of the few hotel resorts that has the fastest Internet connection great for getting some leftover work done or checking in FB before enjoying the resort;)

The rooms were comfortable and spacious as well as clean
The barthroom was set up quite nicely however in it room I could quite make sense of a really big empty space adjacent to our shower
The room was well situated with an ocean view although at around 9am we were woken up by the sounds of construction on the higher floors.
The pool was refreshing

Olives Restaurant -

Breakfast was filling and satisfyingly diverse especially the food and fruit from the region ( I asked for "sukang iloco" since they only had white vinegar out- they looked at me perplexed and they happily obliged)

Vegas Cafe @ Fiesta CASINO
Dinner at the Vegas Cafe was satisfying as well as diverse the staff was attentive and very courteous
-it's not Vegas but the people watching is awesome although I think me and my girlfriend are being watched ourselves since she REALLY stands out ( White Jewish girl from California)
-the table had limited game choices blackjack, baccarat, roulette
The meal at the restaurant was tasty and the menu had a wide variety making sure to highlight the region's dishes
-the entertainment at the lounge was great though drink service was slow and unattentive

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sigmund A,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your amazing experience in our property. We are happy that you had a comfortable and relaxing time with us. We are proud to share your praises with the whole team.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back at Thunderbird Resorts. Please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to assist you.

Our warm regards,

Baguio, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed at the Thunderbird Poro Point La Union for a Seminar and upon entering the front area the staff greeted us, it made me felt very welcome. The building design made me feel like I am somewhere in Greece. The place is not to hot but rather the wind cools everything. The Sunset was spectacular, something you have to see if you stay at Thunderbird. The breakfast buffet is also delicious but i wanted more choices. Overall Thunderbird really impresses both foreign and local guests.

Room Tip: Don't miss the sunset it's spectacular!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Mr. Vince T,

We thank you for your good words on our facilities, service and location. These keep us inspired in doing our best to create extraordinary experiences for all our guests.

We hope that you can visit us again soon. Please feel free to contact us and we will do our best to assist you.

Our warm regards,

Singapore, null, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I'm glad to know that I am not the only one who did not enjoy my stay at Thunderbird Hotel. The room is cozy as expected because the rate of the rooms of the hotel is the same as five star hotels in Manila. The room is the only thing that made my stay enjoyable in Thunderbird. The surrounding area is not very good as there are construction going on. So when you are trying to enjoy your view outside the veranda, you won't enjoy it. I don't know with the other rooms but in the room where we stayed the view was not very good. Customer service was relatively OKAY at first until we needed to complain about the shuttle service. We attended a wedding at Sts. Peter and Paul. It was a 20-30 mins drive from Thunderbird. We rented the shuttle bus to and fro for 1000 pesos. While we were on our way to the church, the driver already saw the condition of the traffic and I specifically instructed him to pick us up at 4:30. I called at around 4:15 after the ceremony to follow up. After 30 mins, I called the hotel again to ask the current location of the shuttle service. I was already pissed off and the lady I was talking to just told me to just cancel it if we are not willing to wait. We were the only guests who were still at the church so we really did not have a choice but to wait for the van. It arrived at around 5:30 pm. Upon arriving at the hotel, I immediately complained about it but they insisted that I called the hotel late. So I requested to speak to the manager. The manager also insisted that they did not do anything wrong on their part. Luck was on my side coz the manager wrote something on a piece of paper something like the expected time of pick up is at 5:30pm which was very wrong since I was asking to be picked up at 4:30. The manager then admitted their fault and all I got was a lame sorry. I even had to ask them to provide a consolation as I am not willing to pay in full since I was not satisfied with the service. They just gave me 10% off for one way shuttle service. We talked for like 30 mins or so and all I got was a 10% off and we were waiting for an hour. Their customer service is really poor. Plus, the buffet breakfast did not have a lot of choices and the taste of the food is not good at all. Olive's Restaurant also serves bland food. Overall, I did not like my stay here and I will not be coming back. It is a waste of money and time.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear KathJL,

Thank you for taking the time to write us your feedback on your stay with us in December 2012. We have noted your concerns and have cascaded these to our Operations Team.

Please contact me on your next visit and I will personally make sure that everything will meet your expectations.

Best regards,

Travelers are raving about these San Fernando La Union hotels

Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

Our first time in La Union. I was looking for somewhere peaceful and romantic to take my wife for our wedding anniversary. Somewhere to get away from it all. Thunderbird Resort seemed the perfect get away. After checking their prices, I booked a Junior Suite online as this seemed the best value for money, considerably lower priced than the other suites.

The drive up to the hotel is majestic, it’s like being in Greece with all the white and blue Greek style buildings. The hotel sits on the end of a peninsular, so all around is sea. On arrival at the hotel lobby, we were presented with free drinks and fresh fruit, the hotel staff were very welcoming. We had to wait for check-in as we’d arrived early, but it was nice to wonder around and relax at the bar overlooking the beautiful swimming pool. Our suite was about 40 meters from the main hotel building in El Mundo. It was luxurious, with a modern kitchen, lounge, a huge soft bed and best of all, a Jacuzzi bath tub which was just heaven after the long drive! From the balcony there is the most amazing view of the south china sea and the golf course. Inspired, we decided to take lunch on the roof deck where we sat inside a shaded large Greek style dome with a 360 degree view of the whole resort, golf course, light-house and the surrounding sea, a spectacular view that genuinely took our breath away!

In the evening I asked if they would put a table on the grass overlooking the swimming pool but separate from the restaurant where we could have a romantic candle-lit dinner, they agreed and to my surprise, a bottle of red wine was delivered to our table compliments of management! So a huge thank you to all at Thunderbird for making our stay so special, we will definitely be back soon.

Room Tip: stay in a suite, for a little extra money you get a lot more luxury
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
tbrphilippines, General Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Mr. Andy J,

We thank you for taking the time to post your positive feedback about us. It has been our pleasure to have made your stay in Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point memorable and special.

We will continue to do our best to give our guests an extraordinary experience.

We hope to see you again here soon!

David, Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We spent a night in a so call Mondo wing. I booked online through the resort website and the description was a suite with sea view. No clear photo or explanation of what it looks like or where exactly mondo wing is. We arrived early to grab a lunch at the resort's restaurant and ask if the front desk can get us a room earlier than 2 pm. There was no hope coz we waited until 2.15 pm and nothing happened and I had to chase them up again. Then found out that we were put in a building miles away from the main building(we stayed in the main building before and it was called a suite as well) so that surprised us a lot but not as bad when we went in and it was not a SEA VIEW as described on the website. The balcony looking towards the golf course and at the front door there was another building construction ongoing!!! Yes you could merely spot the sea far far away but in a million year that we would catagorize that as a sea view!! My husband had to talk to the manager( took him a long time to actually get to the real manager) it was a long story and the conclusion was that was the room we booked online there's nothing they could do all room are fully booked. The fact that we arrived so early didn't help them to find as a decent room because all the rooms were specified by other guest prior arrival....well then!! You could have post on your website that we NEED to actually phone up and specify the room not just rely on what's written on the room description( which wasn't a clear description at all!) All in all, we were not happy how the resort dealing with customers especially we feel like it's because we are foreigners and it's not their market to care about. We had another disappointment during the breakfast as well since lots of table were reserved during breakfast so even though you are early it doesn't make any different, you would end up in a bad spot coz all the good one are reserved...I don't know whether that's normal practice for a breakfast session of 10 tables ( I can understand a huge hotel with 40 tables they do take a reservation for buffet breakfast but so rare still) once you get disappointed, it is extremely hard to enjoy their nice pool and nice food.
so we just felt super uncomfortable the whole time at the resort. It is still the nicest place in town no argue about that but would we go back there to throw our money again? I don't think so. For what it cost, we will travel somewhere else and spend the same amount with happiness.

I'm not gonna blame the resort, I think it's just us not familiar with their management here and expect too much from a 5* resort.

Room Tip: Call then direct!!! Mondo wing is miles away from the main building.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Ms. Glizzy,

We are sorry that you had such an impression, nevertheless, we thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. It was and is never our intention to make our guests feel unwelcome, regardless of any nationality. We always strive to give everyone the warmest welcome and the most hospitable service.

We hope to rectify this the next time you visit. Please contact me and I will personally do my best to assist you.

GM Yves Remondeulaz

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!