“poor Customer Sales” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point

and 1 more site!
You added Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point to your Saves list
Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Pennsylvania Avenue | VOA Compound, San Fernando La Union, Luzon 2500, Philippines   |
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
“poor Customer Sales”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

phoned the Makati Office to clarify our reservations.
i was referred and transferred to 'Sales'
then a girl named SUSHI answered but was NOT very helpful.
finally i was told to call again after 5 minutes.

WOW. this is what you folks call world class? #smh

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I spent my birthday in Thunderbird last July. It was worth the 5-hour drive from Manila. Our room was very clean and so pretty! And the view- superb. One of the best hotels ive been to. Looking forward to stay there again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Makati, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

We stayed in Thunderbird Poro Point for 3/2 nights. We just love the whole surroundings. The lobby so magnificent especially the dome-shaped ceiling. The staff was very pleasant and made every request we have possible! You can't find fault on their accommodation good enough for 4 persons but still we decided to stay in two separate superior rooms overlooking the majestic South China Sea. My little 3 year old loved the pool so much. Should i mention the complimentary fruits and chocolates? It was divine wioth those cute Kisses chocolates. I havent heard any complains from my partner and in-laws for the duration of our stay there.Two things that diasppoint us: They forgot to provide us with the 600 pesos casino bets (WE RANG THE RECEPTION TWICE ABOUT IT)included in the package, and OLIVES breakfast selection was a dull.

Room Tip: Always choose the third floor rooms on the left wing. Marvelous view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Booked a stay at Thunderbird Poro Point for father's day, which coincidentally is also my dad's birthday. Honestly, it is really really far from Manila. I'm not a fan of long drives and around the 6-hour mark I was already regretting going there in the first place.

Luckily they gave us a villa for our family of 5. Our villa is detached from the actual hotel that overlooks the pool area so we either had to drive or walk two minutes to get there. The villa is more suitable for couples or for honeymooners because first of, there is only one bedroom so two of us had to sleep in the living room with the sofa bed instead. Second, the bathroom has an open concept so if someone were taking a shower, the others couldn't use the toilet, or brush their teeth. Pretty inconvenient if you ask me. Also, it seems that the villa has a lot of broken facilities. The bidet in the toilet was broken, the jacuzzi was broken - why couldn't they fix it beforehand?

About the pool area, it overlooks the ocean, and there is a path that leads you to the cabana with a small private beach. Just a warning - you can't actually swim in the ocean because the current is too strong. You have to make do with the pool.

Buffet breakfast was okay, and the staff were really nice and friendly. I have to say though that for a resort that is 6-hours away from Manila, this place is pretty disappointing and not exactly the "Santorini" that I was expecting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear alternachic,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice to celebrate Father’s day which happens to be your dad’s birthday as well. Customer satisfaction is our priority and your feedback enables us to improve the products and services we offer to our guests. Your kind words on the buffet breakfast and staff have been shared with the team and this will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

However, we have taken serious note of your comments regarding the Villa that was given to you and your family. Our General Manager together with the concerned Department Head has been informed and action has been taken to address these concerns. We are pleased to inform you that we checked the bidet you were referring to and it was not broken. The toilet bowl has a lot of buttons/gadgets. Please accept our sincere apologies if our staff was not able to explain to you how to use this. Rest assured that appropriate action will be done to address this matter.

On behalf of Thunderbird Resorts, I would like to thank you once again for taking the time to share your comments with us. We sincerely hope that this unfortunate experience will not deter you from staying with us again.

Nueva Ecija Province, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

When we arrived, a Santorini inspired lobby welcomed us. l  love the blue & white ambiance of the whole hotel, makes me really feel I'm in a paradise! Our suite room is definitely gorgeous, the complimentary fruit platter is very fresh, and since we checked-in during mother's day, there was free chocolates! My niece and nephews enjoyed the jacuzzi in our bathroom. And the toiletries are my love! From VMV hypoallergenics! Free wifi all over the hotel. I enjoyed thEir huge swimming pool, all are plain 4ft. deep. The beach area is quite far from the pool. You have to walk under the sun, no shades of trees and the beach area is just small. But there is nice landscaped garden where garden weddings usually held. The beach area has good view of lighthouse, huge rocks and the entire ocean. The buffet breakfast is two thumbs up, limited array of foods but most are yummy and tasteful, perfect for a very tiring swimming in the morning. No negative comments about the staff, all are warm and nice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear aizer20,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your accommodation choice to celebrate the Mother’s Day and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We are happy to know that you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us and particularly liked the ambience, bathroom amenities and the buffet breakfast. Your kind words have been shared with the whole team particularly to the chefs. This will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We truly hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back with us soon. In the meantime, should you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Quezon City, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

Great hotel. Very luxurious rooms and amenities. Beds and comforters that make you want to stay in them forever. If you should decide to stay here, flop right onto a bed and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Really nice bathrooms too. Everything is spotless. Great view outside. We stayed on the first floor where you have your own balcony overlooking the sea. Great swimming pool. Fun for the whole family. Breakfast buffet is great too. Don't know about their other meals but a shuttle can take you to and from a Chinese restaurant down the block. Good food there. If money isn't too much a concern, a very nice place to stay. Service good. About a 45 minute drive to San Juan where all the popular surf spots are. I recommend this place to those who want to really pamper themselves.

Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Dear Philip C,

Thank you for taking the time to share you experience with us. It is always encouraging for us to know that our guests are satisfied with our products and services. Your praises have been shared with the team and this will certainly motivate them to keep up the good work.

We sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back again with us soon. In the meantime, should you need assistance please do not hesitate to let me know.

Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

For someone who’s traveled the whole world (I am not bragging about it) I was able to see the best and the worst when it comes to hotel, restaurants, facilities and staff service. Am I just too picky when it comes to these areas because of the places I’ve seen and the luxury I experienced? Or this was just way too far from what I had expected in the first place?

With this, I can say that it was such a DISAPPOINTMENT choosing this resort for my birthday bash. I would like to congratulate their publicity team for such a wonderful job putting this resort in one of the PRICEY resort in the market now a days. Let me start from the moment we checked in. It was quite a drive from Manila, roughly 6hours though we enjoyed the travel and scenery away from the city.

We arrive by 130pm and the normal check in is at 2pm. I was expecting a warm welcome and some fruit drinks for their welcome drinks. We ended up having 2 small bottles of water…IS THIS 5 STAR? Alright, we still have 3 days to see J

We had our late lunch at Olives. The choices of food were very simple. I really thought since they are claiming THEY ARE THE GREECE of the Philippines, the menu will be a lot like Mediterranean choices. Not really. We just stuffed ourselves with the best (as far as I can see) on the menu. The lamb stew and the lamb shanks which was not shanks but a leg with couscous. The meals were served quite cold and with all the piling of disappointments I tend to let it pass.

2pm and it was a quick check in and I needed to REQUEST for a bell service for our luggage. When we reached our room, it was a TWO QUEEN SIZE BEDS! And by the way, I am traveling with my partner to celebrate my birthday… we are not divorcing yet! I called the reception and they told me it was the one I booked for. Why would I booked for a DOUBLE QUEEN SIZE BED IN THE FIRST PLACE??!!

I was already fuming mad coz we are so tired from the long drive and everything I requested for was not given to us. Minutes later, we needed to moved into the next floor, with a king size bed. Wheeeww!

It was a rainy afternoon and we opted to stay in bed and relax. The room was just right for 2 persons. With the normal LCD tv, wifi, safety box and tea & coffee facility.

Got up from bed quite late and we are heading for our dinner buffet again at Olives. Food choices for the buffet were limited. I am already tried of being upset why I made a mistake of choosing this place.

The next day, it was an early morning wake up for me and my partner. 2 choices of rice, yang chow and garlic rice, some dumplings, 4 meat choices, fruits, bakery selection, juice counter, omelet station, 4 choices of cold cuts --- that’s it.

It was a FUN DAY FOR ME AND MY PARTNER since we went for a drive and spent the whole day in the historical town of VIGAN.

The night was still young and we really planned for a fabulous dinner and casino. I confirmed to the reception since the casino and Vegas Cafe is 5minutes away and we will be picked up by the shuttle. Casino? The receptionist reminded us to be WELL DRESSED since there’s a dress code. As if this is the first time I will set foot in a casino… alright. Dinner here we come!

What the HELL? There is a signage on how people should be dressed in the casino. Guess what? We should have worn out ragged tops and flip flops coz that is how PEOPLE INSIDE THE CASINO WERE DRESSED UP. It turned out that WE WERE OVER DRESSED for that place.

At the Vegas Café, according to the hotel info I read inside the room. It serves an array of international cuisine. Sounds very appetizing? Yes, it sounded like it’s very appetizing indeed but it only added to my frustrations. Majority were Filipino dishes, 5 Japanese, 6-8 Chinese.. that’s all. And the price was very cheap compared to how they priced the rooms in the resort. A meal would cost P250 and the people dining there… oohhh don’t ask. I am not dramatic here or anything but there’s NO EXCLUSIVITY at all. I felt that its like going for a Sunday market!!! Seriously!

I barely ate my chicken teriyaki since it was chicken breast. That made it the teriyaki so hard and if they really have a Chef.. the Chef would never choose that part coz it ruins the “teriyaki cut”.

Another day and night of frustrations…

Our last day, we woke up early for a walk on the beach and for a photo shoot. I thought we can have a dip. Its too rocky and not suitable for swimming. The only choice we have is the pool that is too small for all the guests check in at that time…in other words? T-O-O C-R-O-W-D-E-D!

Me and my partner both concluded that it was way too pricey for the facilities and services they can offer. The photos and details can be soooooo DECEIVING. Their claim to be 5 star resort… I DIDN’T SEE THE 5 STAR ACCREDITATION WHEN WE CHECKED IN!

The ONLY ASSETT of this resort I should say is their STAFF. Though not properly trained and knowledgeable they are VERY HELPFUL in every way.

The view was amazing but that same scenery can be seen in an hour or two drive in Batangas.

Overall, this is one of the place I WILL NOT RECOMMEND TO FAMILY AND FRIENDS. For a long drive like that, price we paid for relaxation and exclusivity --- WE TRULY DESERVE SOMETHING MORE!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear prettybabyjhuddz,

Thank you for taking the time out to inform us of your experience during your stay with us. We are concerned with the satisfaction of all our guests and your feedback is of great value to us.

You have raised areas of concern that need to be addressed and which we are looking into for improvement. Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused you. Rest assured that your concerns are being addressed and we shall strengthen our training in terms of product knowledge to avoid this kind of incidents from happening again.

We sincerely hope that this unfortunate experience would not deter you from staying with us again. On your next visit, kindly contact me directly and I would be more than glad to assist you with your stay with us.

Travelers are raving about these San Fernando La Union hotels

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!