“simply wonderful” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point

Save Saved
You added Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point to your Saves list
Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point
Pennsylvania Avenue | VOA Compound, San Fernando La Union, Luzon 2500, Philippines   |
Muntinlupa, Philippines
“simply wonderful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2011

I just came from Thunderbird Poro Point for a long weekend. I am so sorry there are some who didn't enjoy their stay but for us it was simply amazing! We wanted a place to relax and unwind and we got this from this resort. Elegant, very comfortable, beautiful place. Very picturesque too.There was an air of tranquility around the place because area was huge and with just a few rooms (although there were several things going on that weekend), we didnt feel that it was crowded. Jan, the receptionist, was very helpful, as well as the other staff. If this was only closer to Manila, we'll surelly be coming back very often!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

162 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Manila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2011

We arrived at the hotel earlier than 2pm. When i was at the front desk, the receptionist (a guy or gay) asked me to take a seat first because he was attending to a client. we were waiting for ages but there's this new guest who arrived and he immediately accomodated her. Then another guest arrived..The girl receptionist instantly talked to him. So, i stood up fall in line and said "ang tagal naman, kanina pa kami dito!" When it was my turn, she asked me to pay the full amount which i obliged. But my friend told me that they were not asked to pay.
In all fairness with the other staff they were all courteous.
On our second night, i learned from my friend that they have microwave oven in their room. I asked the front desk with the same guy or gay and a girl if i can request for a microwave in our room for the my baby. i explained to them why we needed that. They told me that they cannot give in to my request coz the oven is intalled in some rooms only..ok...fine...then i asked them if they can transfer us in another room that has a microwave oven. The two of them told me that they are fully booked so they cannot give us a room. so i just said ok...then head back to our room.
We woke up the next day (tuesday) for our breakfast..the crew said they don't have buffet for that day because of limited guests..So, meaning the two front desk clerks are not telleng the truth. they just didn't want to heed our request..
Now, i can recommend this hotel to my friends and family if not for the two front desk clerks..
We enjoyed our stay there..The pool staff, restaurant staff, the lobby staff, housekeeping were all excellent...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2011

We initially reserved 2 rooms, since we were 2 adults, 2 teenagers & 1 child; but we were pleasantly surprised that we could all fit comfortably in one room. The 2 beds were queen size and very comfortable. The wifi was very fast - maybe because they have limited number of guests only. The other room amenities were very good.

To me, it's basically a place to unwind & relax - where you can have an unstructured time. You can play golf, swim in the pool and beach area (which is private to hotel guests), read a good book etc.

The food is quite good - not spectacularly good - but not bad at all. I recommend the oven-fired pizzas - four cheeze and ilocano especially. It's a bit pricey, but okay considering you're in a four-star place. If you're in the saving mode - I suggest a quick drive to San Fernando and try the fastfoods there. I recommend the Halo-Halo de Iloko (see my review on this). By the way, buffet breakfast is complimentary to guests.

Their resto has a great view of the south china sea, makes your meal extra special

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2010

Had booked into this place for 2 nights, liked the place so much that we extended it by one more night.
Whats great about this place :
1. Roomy - very less rooms so its not crowded even at full occupancy.
2. Excellent staff - They go out of the way to make you feel comfortable. Our toddler fell asleep while we were having dinner. They lugged a huge couch from the reception area to the restaurant so that he could sleep peacefully. Just one of many other small gestures which makes you feel that they really care for you.
3. Beautiful golf course - Even though it is just 9 holes but its a picturesque course.
4. Clean spacious rooms.

The restaurant menu/variety could be improved. The food was good but not too amazing.

We were apprehensive whether it made sense to go there because of the 6 hours drive from Manila but if given a chance we will go again. It was worth the drive

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
tbrphilippines, Manager at Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point, responded to this review, January 17, 2012
Dear Rhodora D,

We were pleased to know that you and your family had a wonderful experience with us. Your kind words have been shared to the whole team particularly to our reception and restaurant staff. This will motivate them to keep up the good work.

We have taken note of your comments/suggestions and rest assured that we will look into the matter.

In the meantime, kindly contact me directly for your future bookings with us.

Sincerely yours,
Therese G. Samala
Hotel Quality Manager
Manila, Philippines
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

I went on a trip to Thunderbird with my boyfriend's family and after the 6 hour road trip to La Union, the beauty of the place makes you forget about the tiring trip. The architecture is beautiful and there aren't that many rooms so at least the resort isn't totally crowded. It's not really a resort for a beach trip because the beaches in La Union don't really compare to other places like let's say, Bohol or Boracay or Palawan. Thunderbird is a nice quiet retreat with breathtaking views. The pool area is great for hanging out in and good for the kids.. But I think this place is more suitable for couples who just want to get away from everything else. True, there aren't that many activities either aside from biking, swimming, golf and getting a massage.. The restaurant is pretty average although the Caesar Salad and the 4 Cheese Pizza were a real hit with the family. Service is a bit slow, but the staff is friendly. The rooms are really nice and huge, though! The beds are sooo amazing. Makes you feel like you just melt into it. And it's also very quiet at night.. Perfect for sleeping. And their wifi is really fast too! All in all, it's not as amazing as they are advertised to be. I mean, it's great and I'm happy I got to try it.. But I doubt I'd drive 6 hours all the way again for it. Maybe if someone offered me a free stay, I'd go for it.. For those who are curious, I'd recommend it but don't expect that much.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Quezon city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2010 via mobile

We like staying in this hotel as it is definitely the best in the area. After the 6 Hour drive from Manila, you can reallyool forward to a good night rest in their ultra comfy bed. This time they upgraded us to rooms with jacuzzi. The one in our room didn't work though. And the jacuzzi my son used in their room had him quite terrified when he saw tiny pink worms in the grout surrounding the jacuzzi. Overall, at least you can be sure of a good rest at a place that looks like Greece.

• Stayed October 2010
abu dhabi
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2010

Oh this hotel is such a waste of money and time. I though this was luxirious hotel but it was not. Poor service and rude staff when i conplain that my door is not properly lock they do not do anything as if they only hacve deluxe rooms but it is really sucks. I regret that i choose this hotel for relaxation.by the way the golf corse is only 9 holes thats a joke. Place is good and when you look at it on the outside you will feel your in good hands but it is not as you stay there oh theres a lot of badthings I expirience in this so called 5 star hotel resort. I will not go back to this hotel and recomend this to all of you read my review. Burn your hotel!!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these San Fernando La Union hotels

Been to Thunderbird Resorts Poro Point? Share your experiences!