Look. Its a pleasant hotel. Everything you need is there - the beds are decent, the bathrooms are decent, the tv and cable were actually quite good, the pool was clean, breakfast was included et al.
But that's as far as it goes - decent. its a serviced apartment hotel which is a far cry from 5 star, so we were expecting to be like this. however, the website pictures are far better than how it actually is. be warned over a few things:
- if you want access to the internet, BYO laptop. first hotel i've ever been to that do not have at least one computer to use if you didn't bring your own hardware.
- although the service at reception was great, as all Filipinos tend to be the friendliest most accomodating people in Asia, they weren't the sharpest tools in the shed. there seems to be a lack of communication or crap recording programs on their computers. when i booked online and paid the 10% deposit, i was under the impression that you pay the balance upon check out. wrong. you have to pay at least half of your stay upfront. we arrived at 9pm that night after a long flight, and so had to haul ourselves on a hunt for an open money-changer. thankfully, this hotel is surrounded by some of Manila's biggest shopping centres who do not close until 10pm. and which has EVERYTHING. when we paid half of our stay and called reception to check the remaining balance, they had not recorded our previous payment and was charging us for the whole stay. THANK GOODNESS we kept the receipt that was given earlier.
- be prepared to pay for extra things which would normally be free of charge at other hotels: coffee/sugar sachets and pillows - which we kicked up a fuss over half-heartedly, and ended up being given one for free.
- you have to remind housekeeping to get your room cleaned everyday. its one phonecall, no big deal. when they do clean it, its spotless. there's a Safety Deposit Box in your room so use it if concerned about passports, jewelry etc. better safe than sorry.
- i've had better breakfast buffets, but the service makes up for it.
if you're so tired after walking through the gaziliion levels in the shopping centres around the hotel - all no more than a 5mins walk - that when you get back to your room you just want to shower and sleep, well The Malayan is good. there are restaurants on all sides of the hotel (and hundreds in SM Mega Mall) so you'll never go hungry.
overall it was a good stay. just don't expect much, and spend most of your time shopping :)
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.