“good room. but not much variety in breakfast” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Discovery Suites

You added Discovery Suites to your Saves list
Discovery Suites
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 ADB Avenue, Ortigas Centre, Pasig, Luzon 1600, Philippines   |
Special Rate
PHP4,800 (PHP)
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Pasig
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“good room. but not much variety in breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

i m staying currently here. and writing this from one of its room. this place is much better than other around here.
its value from money. room interior is good and so is gym and room service.
but very less option for veg food

• Stayed February 2013
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear NITINKATIPN,

Thank you for your post. We appreciate your comments about our rooms, our gym and
room service.

We will share your comments about adding vegetarian dishes in our menu with the chef and see how we can add these to our usual offers.

We look forward to welcoming you at Discovery Suites very soon.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
qc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Spent new year's weekend in this hotel with family (dec 30-jan 1). We occupied two junior suites and were given a room facing the Podium. Enjoyed the view specially during new year's eve fireworks display as we can see the fireworks all over the metro. Though one of the suites was quite small compared to the other suite given to us it was clean and not cramped.
Breakfast was ok but not something you will look forward to. But the staff were very attentive to the guests needs. Same thing with the hotel staff. They are very courteous and helpful, unlike in other hotels I've stayed in.
Location was great as it is very near the malls. Plus they even had New Year's Mass service at the Penthouse which was really convenient for us.
Minor downside were: that the elevator was too slow specially when there are a lot of guests. It took about 5-10 minutes of waiting for the lift. Also, you could smell the cigarette smoke while you are at the hall.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay here and will definitely return.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view. Corner suites are smaller.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Caramelmacchiato,

Thank you very much for your post. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

You will be pleased to know that changes are underway that will greatly improve the breakfast experience in the hotel. Issues concerning the slow elevators have been resolved and will not be a problem when you return.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I have just left after three nights on a business trip. I have stayed at discovery in the past and if I had a choice again, I will not return.

The staff are typical of most Manila hotels, always calling you sir and checking on your well being, thus hard to fault. But the facilities are not good. There was a rattling noise in my room, the same noise that was in a similar room two years earlier - my advice is it avoid rooms overlooking ADB avenue. The plumbing needs fixing and the Internet unreliable.

For me the biggest disappointment was the breakfast. When compared with other similar priced hotels it was not good. No fresh eggs mad limited options for the health conscience.

I must say the gym is above the standard you would normally expect. It has real weights and good machines.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Discovery_Leisure_Co, Manager at Discovery Suites, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Dear Sam S,

Thank you for your constructive inputs about Discovery Suites. With regards to the state of our rooms, you may be pleased to know that the renovation of our guestrooms is ongoing. We have been implementing a “roll-out” of our accommodations called the Serendipity Suites, for quite some time now and a lot of our regulars are very happy about this development. We hope that we can welcome you again at Discovery Suites and book our renovated accommodations. About breakfast, our kitchen team is now on top and devising ways and measures to make this a much more pleasurable experience. The results have been more than encouraging.

Chicago/Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I probably shouldn't write this review before I've checked out, since things could still go wrong, but I'll amend it if that happens.
I have been very impressed with this hotel since before I checked in almost three weeks ago. I am here in MNL on a short-term project that has me working overnight hours at a call center about 15 minutes away. I emailed requesting a quiet room away from elevators and other noise since I knew I would be sleeping during the day. They responded immediately, assuring me that they would do whatever they could to minimize noise. I'm in a suite, at the corner, and I have had no issues with noise whatsoever. That's partly because of the excellent design of the suites, which have a back bedroom, with a door that closes, and a wall that baffles hallway noise. Nice, well-equipped small kitchen, for those who might want to cook, a TV in the living room and bedroom, tub and shower in the nicely tiled bathroom, and separate a/c for living and sleeping areas. In short, the suite is perfect for a long-term stay.
I have used their in-house transportation to get to work at night with pickup every early morning, and the drivers are always on time. I've gotten to know many of them, and they have been a source of history, local culture and politics, and helped with my Tagalog. Front desk staff have been extremely helpful, and everyone in the place addresses me by name every time I see them. I've used the laundry, and one shirt that didn't come back had been returned to the laundry to get a stain out---that had been in it for years--and they got it out! The room service people know my schedule and are careful not to make noise around my room or interrupt during my daytime sleeping. Perhaps the best example of their service is the early morning hostess at their breakfast buffet. One of the other waitresses approached me with a coffee pot, and she jumped between us, put up her hand and said, "No coffee---Mr. Greg has to sleep in the day and can't have coffee in the morning". Excellent!
So, while I've been working long hours and living like a vampire, I have been as comfortable as anyone can be not living at home, and have nothing but praise for the staff and facilities here at Discovery! I guess I forgot to mention that the Podium mall across the street has many restaurants, including a very good 24 hour restaurant, and there is a 7-11 and a Starbucks right outside the entrance. Very convenient.
P.S. To the reviewer I saw who complained because this wasn't the best place for a party, if I had been staying next door to him, I would have called the police. This is a business traveler, long-term hotel, not a party flop house.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed here because Shangri-La and Oakwood were fully booked during a work trip. I think this place is okay, but it's certainly not a hotel for foreigners on business trips, nor is it for tourists that aren't looking to sort of rough it. The corporate rate I paid here was about $130 which is way overpriced for what you get here. The staff were very nice, of course, but the rooms are so old and outdated. I can imagine when it was first opened it was wonderful. But, no renovations seem to have been made. My one-bedroom suite looked okay at first glance. However, the entire living room smelled of curry, as though someone else had cooked curry there for several weeks (or months) - it seeped into the walls and to the air. The bedroom did not smell as strongly, but I had to blast the air conditioning as soon as I got in and close the door between the bedroom and the suite to be able to sleep....because of the terrible smell, I did not spend any time in the hotel room except to sleep. I luckily only had to stay there 2 nights and got to check back into my original hotel. The breakfast was also pretty gross, with very little selection. The yogurt I had was very sugary, and the other options did not look appealing. It looks like most of the hotel now is domestic travelers visiting Manila on a budget.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed at the Discovery Suites for 2 weeks over the Christmas period and the high standard of the rooms (recently renovated I think) was matched by great, friendly service from all the staff (special mention to Robert and to Marge but really all the staff were great). The location is pretty good across from Podium and a stone's throw away then to Mega Mall. The breakfasts were suited our family well from a 3 year old up although the only knock would be on the Filipino breakfast meats (the longa was good but the tocino was average and I was dying for some tapa). I would definitely recommend this as a base in Manila. The pool suffers from being too much on the cool side but the gym is well stocked with helpful trainers.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We rented out a 3 bedroom suite to celebrate a special occasion with some cousins and spent $300+ for the room. We were about 12 people in the room, having drinks and talking, with only 8 people staying over. We were called because of a noise complaint around 10pm, so we toned it down, although we were in no way particularly noisy. However, what we were very disappointed in was how we were dealt with by management.

Upon checkout the next day, we were told that we'd have to pay for the extra few people because the 3 bedroom suite was only good for 6 people, and that was fine. But then we felt that Ray, the manager was trying his best to charge us more as punishment. They made us pay corkage for the vodka and wine we brought in, which I find unusual for a hotel, as well as numerous little things, like a parking slot which was supposed to come free with the room.

One of the worst things he tried to charge us for was a bed sheet because someone had a nose bleed in the middle of the night. I'm sure bloody sheets from menstruation and other reasons are common but they wanted us to pay for the entire bed sheet worth 3000 pesos. When we refused because obviously, a dab of blood should wash off easily, they wanted us to pay for the laundry, which is stupid because hotels are supposed to take care of laundering on their own.

Basically, we felt like we were treated very poorly, especially for the luxury and treatment we were expecting to get from paying for their expensive suite. If we were having a full blown party with loud music and everything, it would have been expected that they'd be angry, (although we weren't a lot of people and we weren't particularly rowdy or anything), but the backhanded way they were trying to overcharge us was just wrong.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Discovery Suites? Share your experiences!